TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New S60 > S75 @$2k -- Not Really a Deal?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by MonseyGuy, Apr 18, 2017.

1. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

I'm not doubting your math skill, I'm letting everyone know the hard numbers are out there. The EPA numbers are not great sources because they allow for other factors to be involved. I can explain those factors via PM if you need more info.

The ACTUAL usable capacity of each battery is available via the techniques used in the long WK057 thread. I was too lazy to go look up the exact figures, but it's 62.X and 72.X. This information is valuable to purchasers, because the "90" kWh is also actually significantly less than claimed, while the "100" was truely 100kWh in usable capacity IIRC.

The "60" isn't larger than 60 by mistake...it is the capacity required to provide the X60 with 200 mile range.

• Informative x 1
  2. JoelH

JoelH Member

How practical is it to wait until you KNOW you need it? Since it can be done in the car and updated almost instantly...

3. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

Waiting for better things seems to be a fairly solid strategy with Tesla right now.

It's really too bad I NEED a S 100D since my wife took my S 60 now 75. Just finalized my order, can't wait to see what I'm going to miss out on! ;)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  4. caltechkid

caltechkid Member

Lots of hypotheticals in this thread - in general, if you have a hard use case (e.g. regular visits to certain National Parks with elevation gains without SCs nearby, etc. where the smallish differential makes the difference) then the 2k is easy to justify. If not, you might be fine with a 60D. Personally, we don't need it just for vanity or to keep up with others.

5. outOfPhase

outOfPhase Member

The battery pack cell balancing happens above 90% charge - happens at about 93% from memory - so presumably the software limited 60 never goes through this cycle. Over time this may slightly erode the effective capacity of the 60.

6. Ashkenaz

Ashkenaz Member

I just upgraded my 70 to a 75. Took me about 1 minute to decide. $500 dollars? Seriously? I think the 60-75 upgrade was like $6,000 just a few months ago and is now 2k. I have driven several long road trips and have never had any issues. I was content with the 70 but this is a good deal. ifninhad a 60 I'd be getting the upgrade.