Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Sale on P85D Showroom Cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been on the fence about a P85D for a while and in contact with a Tesla sales rep. He just emailed me today with showroom cars that have a much larger discount than last month. Last month the discounts were $4-5k. Today, the discounts on three cars I'm looking at are between $10,618 and $13,746!

The one I'm most interested in has an MSRP of $127,970 and a showroom discount of $11,914. It has 2,316 miles on it.

Is this unusual? Or something the Tesla does pretty often.

Thanks!

I've been on the fence about a P85D for a while and in contact with a Tesla sales rep. He just emailed me today with showroom cars that have a much larger discount than last month. Last month the discounts were $4-5k. Today, the discounts on three cars I'm looking at are between $10,618 and $13,746!
The one I'm most interested in has an MSRP of $127,970 and a showroom discount of $11,914. It has 2,316 miles on it.
Is this unusual? Or something the Tesla does pretty often.

From posts on here, the supposed formula is:
$1,000 per month
and $1 per mile

Based on that you may not be comparing the same car, as the only way it would jump $5,000 from one month to the next would be 4,000 new miles. Which is possible, but rather unlikely. However, there are always new cars rolling into the system. I know his because a few weeks after I purchased my inventory car ($9,500 off MSRP) I was at the store and talked to another customer who found a car with more options than mine, similar mileage, and yet it was the same net cost. It is just "luck of the draw" finding cars in inventory at the right time for the right discount (based on age, mileage, etc).

Either way... go for it! And remember other people in your "region" (within a few hundred miles) also have access to that same car. So the longer you wait, the more likely someone else might snag it out from under you..

From posts on here, the supposed formula is:
$1,000 per month
and $1 per mile

Is it possible the formula just changed? That formula would have this car sitting around for 9 months, and the P85D hasn't been out that long.

I guess there is no way to know how long this new formula will hang around. Will these kinds of discounts be the new norm? If so, no sense in rushing out to get the car now. I'm kind of in a hunt to buy a roadster now, and could wait until next year to sell the roadster and get the P85D.

I found it difficult to find even a used MS with the options I wanted, even then the saving was negligible with the tax incentives of a new purchase. Still have 3 weeks after 9 weeks of waiting. Glad I decided to wait to get the options my way. Time goes fast enough. Good luck.

I found it difficult to find even a used MS with the options I wanted, even then the saving was negligible with the tax incentives of a new purchase. Still have 3 weeks after 9 weeks of waiting. Glad I decided to wait to get the options my way. Time goes fast enough. Good luck.

Internet Sales sent me some listings of inventory cars earlier this week. They had between $1k - $3k as the discount. Given that they all had 21" wheels (a $4,500 upgrade) and most had the upgraded sound system ($2,500 upgrade), I would save money if I ordered my perfect car without those options. Sadly, new is pushing the budget too far, so used or inventory is my choice if I buy this year.

There have been threads previously saying that at quarter-end, discounts are sometimes boosted to add more quarter sales. Sadly, I haven't found discounts on inventory cars like you have - and I'm just over in Charlotte. We are likely shopping against each other ;)

There have been threads previously saying that at quarter-end, discounts are sometimes boosted to add more quarter sales. Sadly, I haven't found discounts on inventory cars like you have - and I'm just over in Charlotte. We are likely shopping against each other ;)

What are you looking for? I can send you the two cars that I don't have a 24-hour hold on....

Yeah, the crazy thing is that showroom cars still count as new, so you get the federal tax credit, plus Tesla's discount.

Or, am I overblowing the amount of the discount, and this is normal for them?

i was never ever offered more than a $2,500 discount on a no milage showroom model. Tesla is all about fairness in the order process. Giving you $10,000 off violates this trust for me and everyone else who paid full price.
I'm sorry, I don't want to say I don't believe your discount but here goes.....I don't believe you. Besides why would one buy a roadster today just to turn around and sell it again next year supposedly to buy a PD next year? Are you suggesting you may get $20k off on a brand new car that's a few months old?

If Tesla even offered you $1,000 more than they offered me, this would make me and others furious and be very unfair. After numerous threads where they don't even offer a duffle bag on a new purchase, suddenly you come along and we are supposed to believe these exorbitant discounts....I don't believe you. And if it turns out to be true, the company is developing a huge integrity issue which I do not believe they would risk.

i was never ever offered more than a $2,500 discount on a no milage showroom model. Tesla is all about fairness in the order process. Giving you $10,000 off violates this trust for me and everyone else who paid full price.
I'm sorry, I don't want to say I don't believe your discount but here goes.....I don't believe you. Besides why would one buy a roadster today just to turn around and sell it again next year supposedly to buy a PD next year? Are you suggesting you may get $20k off on a brand new car that's a few months old?

If Tesla even offered you $1,000 more than they offered me, this would make me and others furious and be very unfair. After numerous threads where they don't even offer a duffle bag on a new purchase, suddenly you come along and we are supposed to believe these exorbitant discounts....I don't believe you. And if it turns out to be true, the company is developing a huge integrity issue which I do not believe they would risk.

I'm not sure I'd agree about the whole fairness reputation. Is it fair that folks who took delivery of a Model S in Sept 2014 did so without autopilot hardware while those taking delivery 2 weeks later had the hardware and didn't pay anymore? Is it fair that some paid for the parcel shelf while others had it included at no additional charge?

Tesla is a business, under pressure from Wall Street to deliver more cars each qtr. Discounting demo cars is one way to boost those numbers. In all cases, Tesla delivered exactly what was agreed to at the time of the sale.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply no miles. The cars I'm looking at have between 800 and 4000 miles on them. They have done dozens of test drives I'm sure, so that's the reason for the discount. It's not free money. There's some wear on the car...

They did say MS will be relatively stable for the next year. Presumably this is regular quarter-end pumping or they are about to unveil the production-ready MX. But even the latter wouldn't really have a bearing on clearing inventory MS'.

I think that's still true for new (undriven) cars. If you don't mind that a few dozen people have thrashed your car up and down the streets, then it seems you can save some money. Also, you give some on the ability to customize. You have to take whatever is available.

My thoughts as well. Except for the very slight driving on/off trailer and to park for prep/customer delivery - any driving reduces the "value" of the car and is discounted accordingly by Tesla.