Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Touch Screens and Micro Controllers have 4 years - Tesla has been hiding behind this as a cosmetic defect so far as the screen still works, not sure if they will fix there stance any time soon...

Just to be clear, the link provided is for the warranty of replacement parts. This is different from parts included with initial vehicle purchase. These are 2 separate warranties. The replacement parts warranty looks like it has some wiggle room to call it a cosmetic defect, as they use the word “failure” to explain what would be covered.

However, that’s different from the new vehicle warranty.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty
Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.

The new vehicle warranty covers “defects in the materials” - that’s exactly what this issue is. Unless Tesla plans on hiring Sarah Sanders, they will have a hard time spinning it differently. A cosmetic defect is in fact a defect. I’ve scanned through this new vehicle warranty and I didn’t see any language that would exclude this, nor does it have the same language that’s used in the replacement parts warranty that states it corrects complete failures.

Great information... I'm covered since this was a replacement part for a defective bubble screen :cool:

upload_2019-6-18_21-34-21.png

Still broken....

if its broken why aren't they replacing it?
I havent heard anyone complain about tesla not replacing a bubble.
Its us with yellow boarders which they are shafting.

How is your screen broken?
They still also have not yet told me about my repalcement headlight.
My Xpel Installer is waiting for my headlight to be replaced before he installs another clear wrap on it.

My Xpel Installer is waiting for my headlight to be replaced before he installs another clear wrap on it.
I have yellow boarder. That’s broken. Not normal. Not even the cheap junky crap get a yellow boarder.

@moderator change the title of this thread to. “Broken screens.... Tesla won’t fix.” I’m determined to keep it relevant, updated and at the top of the list until Tesla fixes as promised.

If Samsung sold you a TV, or Apple sold you an iPhone, and the screen develops an ugly yellow border, any sane/reasonable person would consider that a broken/defective display so I agree that they need to fix the defective screens.

Any notion that the defective displays are just a cosmetic issue is BS.

Reactions: FlatSix911

If your TV or phone develops an ugly yellow hue that keeps getting worse, would you not consider that broken?

Reactions: St Charles
@moderator change the title of this thread to. “Broken screens.... Tesla won’t fix.” I’m determined to keep it relevant, updated and at the top of the list until Tesla fixes as promised.

So far it isn't that they won't fix it, they said they are still working on coming up with the fix.

I don't know what a reasonable time frame is to allow them to come up with a fix. But in any case them buying a part that the manufacturer excludes the yellow border from warranty coverage doesn't get Tesla off the hook, as I don't see that they have anything in their warranty that excludes it. (There is nothing in the warranty about the warranty for the screen being handled by the original manufacturer of the screen. Or that coverage was subject to the suppliers warranty, etc...)

My guess is that if the UV treatment option doesn't work out, assuming it is even real, that they will go ahead with screen replacements. But they are in "cost containment" mode so they are trying to resolve problems as inexpensively as possible.

Reactions: St Charles
Just re-checked today. The local SC here is still saying "3rd quarter" for the unnamed fix.
I pushed for a written response to my yellow screen, "At this time I do not have a timeline for the repair. ". At least that sounds more honest, could be months, could be years. Or, maybe there will be a refresh with new type screen for S and X, then they'll just hope people will stop caring as the cars get old. Not the first time Tesla would stall for time, until the problem is solved in new production cars, so they can claim "it's not a problem anymore, doesn't affect new car sales".

Reactions: Inside
I have yellow boarder. That’s broken. Not normal. Not even the cheap junky crap get a yellow boarder.

Yeah thats why they are not replacing it... lol..
I have that boarder as well, and they give me the "well next time" approach.
My headlight is also busted on its DRL eyebrow.
And i also got the "well next time" approach. They told me to give them a call next month on updates, but well, we all know how fustrating it is to call Tesla.

If Samsung sold you a TV, or Apple sold you an iPhone, and the screen develops an ugly yellow border, any sane/reasonable person would consider that a broken/defective display so I agree that they need to fix the defective screens.

Any notion that the defective displays are just a cosmetic issue is BS.

And i completely agree.
The screen is defective.
Ive had Lexus / Acura replace my touch screen infomat because the anti glare protection was started to come off, and they did it without any excuse, and was completed immediately.

It kinda urks me that Tesla keeps saying next time, and we have some secret voodoo magic in the works to get it fixed but not yet excuse.

It kinda also disheartens me to buy another Tesla after this.
If i do, it feels like you need to treat these cars like they are disposable, which is an expensive disposable item.
Even then i think you'd get better service on a disposable item.

I pushed for a written response to my yellow screen, "At this time I do not have a timeline for the repair. ". At least that sounds more honest, could be months, could be years. Or, maybe there will be a refresh with new type screen for S and X, then they'll just hope people will stop caring as the cars get old. Not the first time Tesla would stall for time, until the problem is solved in new production cars, so they can claim "it's not a problem anymore, doesn't affect new car sales".

I think people would get a lot more upset with time as the yellowing gets worse and area of discoloration also expands. Also many customers, us included, are likely not pressing this issue too much giving them some breathing room wrapping up this quarter. But at some point the defective screens need to be replaced with clear screens.

Could you also ask them if the screens they are shipping in cars delivered now are defective or not? If they have changed the part for 2019 deliveries and this part is no longer defective, they can no longer claim they don't have a fix for the defective screens that should be fixed under warranty.

Could be, or they could address it. I’m in the wait and see mode. My timeframe for getting a new one, or not, is 6-10 months out. Last time, I found myself in a similar situation when they went from AP1 to AP2 and broke a lot. Even with the 100D out I sat on the fence until AP2.5. This time there are more issues and larger volumes for them to deal with. And competition. I really want them to fix it and succeed. Tick tock..

I think people would get a lot more upset with time as the yellowing gets worse and area of discoloration also expands. Also many customers, us included, are likely not pressing this issue too much giving them some breathing room wrapping up this quarter. But at some point the defective screens need to be replaced with clear screens.
Yea, P85D owners were upset too, but Tesla sat silently on the 691hp issue until a new car could actually deliver it, then they admitted that the car makes only 463hp, but "its motors are capable 691hp", offered to add 50hp for $5,000 or full upgrade to 691hp for $80,000. That's it, no free upgrade, it didn't affect their new sales anymore so no reason for stalling anymore. Just wait until they fix the issue for new car (with refresh probably). Oh, the only people who got compensated for the P85D fiasco were the ones that sued - Tesla settled with owners in Europe, but that settlement did not automatically apply to USA owners.

Could you also ask them if the screens they are shipping in cars delivered now are defective or not? If they have changed the part for 2019 deliveries and this part is no longer defective, they can no longer claim they don't have a fix for the defective screens that should be fixed under warranty.
I did ask, the answer was "it's unclear". It seemed like I was not the only one who asked, the SA didn't have to think about the answer. They are stalling for time, that is clear.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Last edited: