Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had two screens replaced in the past year; the first because it was dripping a sticky liquid and then less than six months later the replacement screen because it developed the yellow banding. I asked the two mobile technicians what they do with the defective screens and was told that they send them back to the manufacturer who takes the defective screens apart and remanufacures it for the next person.

IMG_3124.jpg So this morning while driving my 2018 MCU1 P100D center screen rebooted itself (as it has been doing since the 2019.x.x update) and when it came up it had yellow boarders. It didn't have these yesterday. Are people getting new screens yet ?

Dan, strange that it would have come on ‘instantly’ like that. With the prevailing theory being an issue with the screen’s glue, your issue would seem different, yet it looks the same.
Or maybe I just didn't notice it before... I know I said it wasn't there before, but I should have said I didn't notice it before, although its hard to miss. I think I read on the MX forum that someone else's yellow boarder appeared quickly.

I was notified yesterday that my screen came in and it is now at the SC getting replaced. I will post a before & after video here
I copied and pasted the information on the preliminary paperwork Here:
Concern: Customer states there is a yellow band around his touchscreen.

Correction: Media Control Unit (Touchscreen)

Parts Replaced or Added
SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY(1084333-00-C)
Quantity 1.0

I was notified yesterday that my screen came in and it is now at the SC getting replaced. I will post a before & after video here
I copied and pasted the information on the preliminary paperwork Here:
Concern: Customer states there is a yellow band around his touchscreen.

Correction: Media Control Unit (Touchscreen)

Parts Replaced or Added
SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY(1084333-00-C)
Quantity 1.0
Here’s a before & after Video!
Tesla Replaced My Screen!

So, this service was refused to me today at my service center. My car is 5 months old (Dec 2018) and the screen is yellowing. SC agent told me that "as of 24 hours ago, I could have authorized this, but it's been retracted. The demand was too high and everyone called in. So we can't replace the screens anymore; you can pay to have it replaced, and we'll replace it under warranty if the screen goes out. But we're no longer replacing screens for the yellow banding" - he said something about there being a "tool to fix it" (???) later, maybe, but nothing for sure.

He was aware of the new part, and said that in the last few days, he was able to offer them, but now he can't.

To top it all off they scratched the bezel of my screen while it was in service (for 2 weeks). Not happy right now.

The service technician told me that he had heard Tesla was considering no longer allowing this as a warrantee repair. Hopefully they will change their decision and allow it again.

Same thing I heard, "you can pay to get it replaced". This is exactly what I was worrying they would do. I doubt they'll reconsider.

EDIT: Called a third service center, and they're back to saying "No more screen replacements, but you can pay, there will be a fix in firmware."

Bullshit on the firmware. The yellowing can be seen when the car is off.

Last edited:
So, this service was refused to me today at my service center. My car is 5 months old (Dec 2018) and the screen is yellowing. SC agent told me that "as of 24 hours ago, I could have authorized this, but it's been retracted. The demand was too high and everyone called in. So we can't replace the screens anymore; you can pay to have it replaced, and we'll replace it under warranty if the screen goes out. But we're no longer replacing screens for the yellow banding" - he said something about there being a "tool to fix it" (???) later, maybe, but nothing for sure.

He was aware of the new part, and said that in the last few days, he was able to offer them, but now he can't.

To top it all off they scratched the bezel of my screen while it was in service (for 2 weeks). Not happy right now.
That’s not good.

That’s not good.

It isn't, but it's what I was worried about honestly, when the talk of "firmware" even came up. I'm assuming they're going to have some blue-shift on the border to cut through the yellow stain and make it less visible. Which really isn't going to work since it's uneven and incongruent.

I'm guessing they're going to hide behind 'just cosmetic'.. Interesting that they replaced the screens for "youtube influencers" right away, but us regular folk... not gonna happen, it seems.

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I asked for a replacement nearly a year ago and was assured it would be replaced when this new part arrived. I'm going to assume they will follow through because I'm running out of bumper to bumper miles.

Well, report back if they do -- or better yet call your SC today and see if they're willing. I tried three service centers. None would do it. My car is < 6 months old and has the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I called said part is not out expecting it fall 2019. What a joke. They said March 2019 in 2018 and assured me it would be before summer. Tesla has some serious issues that too many gloss over.

This kind of stuff is exactly why I'm also not convinced any of us FSD AP 2.0/2.5 people will ever see HW3 either. My car was in for two weeks to fix an autopilot wiring harness problem. They could have done that at the time too, but it seems like they're non-committal about that, too.

Not to mention they scratched the interior of my car pretty badly while fixing the AP wiring harness problem.

I really want to be a fan. But this "hope but the best but prepare for the worst" on previous promises is wearing thin. Driving a months-old Model S with a giant freaking urine-looking stain on the main centerpiece display sure is great, isn't it. But what can we possibly do, "tweet elon" ?