Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 S screen is fine, but our 2018 X screen went yellow during the winter, after only about 3 months. I don't think summer sun and heat are the cause.

As I mentioned my S has only been in existence in the cold weather so far; Made in December, and in the Colorado mountains it hasn't even warmed up yet, it snowed last week. It's not heat.

As far as 2017s being fine: Yes I've had a 2013 and 2015 loaner and both had clear screens with no yellowing. Looking at the anti reflective coating, screen color temperature and differing quality, those screens were slightly lower contrast and had a cooler color temperature backlight, and were obviously from a different supplier. It seems that the changeover happened sometime in late 2017 or early 2018 to the new style of screen, which yellows.

Maybe they are attempting some color shifting in those areas of the screen. Maybe they can hide the yellow by some color wheel magic. This would only work while the screen is on obviously. And only if the yellow area is consistent across all screens.

Either way, for us lurkers who are on the fence to buy a used S, these issues are really turning me off from becoming an owner.

That would not be a fix. They need to figure out a way to physically remove the yellow border so that it does not happen again and this would need to be covered under the warranty.

That would not be a fix. They need to figure out a way to physically remove the yellow border so that it does not happen again and this would need to be covered under the warranty.

Not being adversarial here - just your thoughts on the matter: Do you feel this is something they could pass off as 'cosmetic, not covered' (under warranty) ? Months ago speaking to Tesla they even said 'no we won't do that', but it sure seems that they're doing just that. I think the idea is that it doesn't impair functionality.

I don't agree with this one bit, since if they used some horrible material on the dash and after 4 months it died up and cracked and looked like a sh*tshow I don't think that'd be acceptable at all, but I'm not sure what they can and can't weasel out of here.

I also wonder what happens if we pay the $1345 to replace the screen and then that one yellows, is it just like "(finger point) ha ha, gotcha sucker" and then the "price is wrong" sound plays at the service center and beef gravy is dumped on your head?

Again this whole incident puts a big bad taste in my mouth, to save whatever cost they have on the screen, I'm shying away from referrals, any hope of HW3 (even though I paid them for FSD when I already had EAP; in other words - for nothing) - and ultimately, from getting another Tesla after this S.

I know people use those factors a lot, but even the money I gave them for FSD is more than their cost for the display. Folks in my household drive Priuses and Chevy Volts - the chance of their next car being a Tesla is non zero by far, but the outcome of this will likely determine that. I'm no "influencer", but this 'no replacement' nonsense really screams penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Reactions: tpnicho
Not being adversarial here - just your thoughts on the matter: Do you feel this is something they could pass off as 'cosmetic, not covered' (under warranty) ? Months ago speaking to Tesla they even said 'no we won't do that', but it sure seems that they're doing just that. I think the idea is that it doesn't impair functionality.

I don't agree with this one bit, since if they used some horrible material on the dash and after 4 months it died up and cracked and looked like a sh*tshow I don't think that'd be acceptable at all, but I'm not sure what they can and can't weasel out of here.

I also wonder what happens if we pay the $1345 to replace the screen and then that one yellows, is it just like "(finger point) ha ha, gotcha sucker" and then the "price is wrong" sound plays at the service center and beef gravy is dumped on your head?

Again this whole incident puts a big bad taste in my mouth, to save whatever cost they have on the screen, I'm shying away from referrals, any hope of HW3 (even though I paid them for FSD when I already had EAP; in other words - for nothing) - and ultimately, from getting another Tesla after this S.

I know people use those factors a lot, but even the money I gave them for FSD is more than their cost for the display. Folks in my household drive Priuses and Chevy Volts - the chance of their next car being a Tesla is non zero by far, but the outcome of this will likely determine that. I'm no "influencer", but this 'no replacement' nonsense really screams penny-wise and pound-foolish.

All I will guarantee is that there will a massive Sh!tstorm if they renege on their word to fix the screen discoloring issue.

This is a physical issue with the display and they should physically fix it. The yellow border was there when we bought our months old inventory car, and we were certainly promised they would fix it and I expect them to keep their word.

Can you imagine a cellphone maker or TV maker not fixing a defective screen? Also can you imagine another carmaker not fixing a screen that develops a visible yellow border?

Wouldn't this all fall under the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty?

Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty
Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.

Reactions: Fiddler
I was texted today from my service advisor that they will replace my screen ETA Oct 2019 when the revised screen comes in. Seems they have an X+5 month timeline. In 3 months it will be Jan 2020.

Mine is a December 2016. Definitely this screen revision started with the refresh before the screen with bubble or ooze a liquid.

Wouldn't this all fall under the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty?

Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty
Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.

There's a lot of speculation here but there is no way they can not replace the defective screens while they are covered under warranty.I'm sure Tesla will figure out a reasonable solution so that the yellow border is physically removed.

If this is not a "materials or workmanship" issue, I don't know what is.

If black seats started developing white discoloration under warranty, would that not be covered? Of course it would be. This is no different.

• Love
Reactions: croman
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, the mobile ranger that was supposed to replace my screen on Saturday told me that they were no longer doing this because they found that the new screens had the same issue. What are the chances that's true?

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, the mobile ranger that was supposed to replace my screen on Saturday told me that they were no longer doing this because they found that the new screens had the same issue. What are the chances that's true?
Fairly good. I've found that most of what I hear from the Tesla Service people is correct. Once in a while they are misinformed, but that's not common.

Do you know the final decision on how Tesla intends to fix this issue?

Well, first they need to consistently acknowledge the issue is one that is covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. It is not cosmetic, indeed, it is functional (its a screen, it literally is there to be seen so it has to function free of defects or material workmanship for that purpose). Its pretty cut and dry so to hear Tesla say otherwise is, at best, disconcerting due to its clear duplicity and disingenuous. So yea, no one knows but their actions thus far portend good cause for worry.

Well, first they need to consistently acknowledge the issue is one that is covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. It is not cosmetic, indeed, it is functional (its a screen, it literally is there to be seen so it has to function free of defects or material workmanship for that purpose). Its pretty cut and dry so to hear Tesla say otherwise is, at best, disconcerting due to its clear duplicity and disingenuous. So yea, no one knows but their actions thus far portend good cause for worry.

Based on other information provided in this thread, it appears Tesla doesn’t have a good solution for this as of yet. Especially since it appears that even replacement isn’t the true solution at this time.

Based on other information provided in this thread, it appears Tesla doesn’t have a good solution for this as of yet. Especially since it appears that even replacement isn’t the true solution at this time.

So? That is completely irrelevant. Their legal obligation is to fix warranty issues. If they don't have a solution right now, they need to replace those of us waiting over a year and replace it again when they get their fix together. Its their fault the screens are defective, they offer a warranty (probably shouldn't if you can't select the right hardware) and they have to pay to deal. Not the customer. We shouldn't pay for their inability to deliver a timely fix as well. I have been patient and I gave them a shot. This is unacceptable and nothing Tesla has done (which is a whole lot of not done) should encourage any owner (even those unaffected).

The whole eMMC issue in the MCU aside, Tesla should just resume replacing screens like they were 2 weeks ago.

I’m just going to wait and see how this all plays out. Hopefully their non-replacement solution is decent enough. No way I’m paying $1300+ for a new screen. (I was already worried about having to take apart the dash... there was a post about someone’s dash rattling after their screen replacement). I can’t even imagine the headache if this new replacement screen has the same yellowing issue or even worse issues.

Reactions: SO16

How does it appear that replacement isn't the true solution at this time? Because it would cost them too much money? The updated screen is available, they just don't want to have to incur the financial hit to replace that many of them. Replacements with the non-yellowing part have happened for some high-profile influencers and lucky follow-on customers who made appointments before the policy change.

But I suppose you're one of those people who actually think a firmware fix for this is possible, and that that's actually an option; in which case there's absolutely no point arguing with you.

The corrected part has been obtained by Tesla. The only way to fix this is via replacement. They are refusing to replace. A "firmware fix" is not possible. There's no further mystery here, unless you're part of the camp that believes that firmware is in fact magic.

• Helpful
Reactions: Flyguy
How does it appear that replacement isn't the true solution at this time? Because it would cost them too much money? The updated screen is available, they just don't want to have to incur the financial hit to replace that many of them. Replacements with the non-yellowing part have happened for some high-profile influencers and lucky follow-on customers who made appointments before the policy change.

But I suppose you're one of those people who actually think a firmware fix for this is possible, and that that's actually an option; in which case there's absolutely no point arguing with you.

The corrected part has been obtained by Tesla. The only way to fix this is via replacement. They are refusing to replace. A "firmware fix" is not possible. There's no further mystery here, unless you're part of the camp that believes that firmware is in fact magic.

I think he meant based on the information people have provided here on this thread, TESLA doesn't appear to be using screen replacement as the fix to the problem. I don't think he is arguing that he personally believes that.

Just like you, I believe to get complete resolution, a full screen replacement is necessary. Tesla will try to "fix" with firmware to lessen effects, but again, like you mentioned, the true fix is a screen replacement. Like you I had it documented a year ago, and opted to not waste resources with the promise that it would be replaced. I would be pretty upset if that didn't occur. But no need to get salty with others here on this thread, almost everyone has the same perspective. People are in different ways processing the limited information and the quick about face Tesla has made. Like with other things, just give it some time to let it settle and see what Tesla does. Do call in and make your voice heard so that decision are made favorably, and in the right way to honor the warranty.