Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe they are attempting some color shifting in those areas of the screen. Maybe they can hide the yellow by some color wheel magic. This would only work while the screen is on obviously. And only if the yellow area is consistent across all screens.

Here is another potential software 'fix'. Make an adhesive vinyl overlay that covers say about a 1/4" strip around the edge of the screen. Maybe black or whatever color blends best. Then decrease the screen resolution so that the covered area is no longer used.

Are you sure that isn't the official fix?

I am sure. My screen isn't decreased in size. There is no overlay or anything.

Come on people, it's a new screen. It's not that difficult. They fixed the issue with the heat from the LED-tubes causing the yellowing and replace the screens. This is not rocket science. Are we going to go over every possible design altering option of taping the sides of the screen while actual screen replacements are happening as we speak?

Mobile ranger I talked to said he does nothing else but replacing screens the last few weeks.

Are we going to go over every possible design altering option of taping the sides of the screen while actual screen replacements are happening as we speak?

Mobile ranger I talked to said he does nothing else but replacing screens the last few weeks.

They are not doing screen replacements "as we speak". Did you miss my earlier post, and others, where we've been told that they are no longer doing screen replacements? I had a mobile appointment this past Saturday for a screen replacement. The ranger showed up at my house to let me know in person that they are no longer doing that. My guess is that they've determined that this is too expensive for the company, so they are looking for less expensive alternatives.

They are not doing screen replacements "as we speak". Did you miss my earlier post, and others, where we've been told that they are no longer doing screen replacements? I had a mobile appointment this past Saturday for a screen replacement. The ranger showed up at my house to let me know in person that they are no longer doing that. My guess is that they've determined that this is too expensive for the company, so they are looking for less expensive alternatives.

I spoke a ranger 2 days ago, said all he does is replacing screens. Costs aside, Tesla can't fix this by taping something over the edges and making a software change that decreases the visible screen. It's just not how warranty works. They can't get away from this, they will need to replace the screens. And that is what they do.

My guess is that the SeC you talked to was not up-to-date with the screen replacements. This happens all the time at Tesla. Internal communication is not their strong suit. Same with the EU-CCS charging adapter update. It was posted on all the EV websites, stating the upgrade can be done from June, 1st and days afterwards there are still people in Europe saying 'My SeC knew nothing about an adapter'.

My guess is that the SeC you talked to was not up-to-date with the screen replacements.

Well, one of us got out-of-date information. I had an appointment to get the screen replaced, that was made about 2 weeks ago. I was contacted by Tesla who told me that they had the part for me. The ranger showed up at my house on Saturday, and told me that he was just told that they are no longer doing replacements. It seems more likely that you got lucky and just got in before they made that decision.

Well, one of us got out-of-date information. I had an appointment to get the screen replaced, that was made about 2 weeks ago. I was contacted by Tesla who told me that they had the part for me. The ranger showed up at my house on Saturday, and told me that he was just told that they are no longer doing replacements. It seems more likely that you got lucky and just got in before they made that decision.

Maybe, but it doesn't make sense. They are working on this screen issue since 2016, so that is somewhere along the 3 year mark. Then they found a fix and said 'Okay! Lets do this big screen replacement job'. Then while doing that maybe 2 weeks they suddenly go 'Oh no, this is way too expensive. Cancel project'.

Couldn't they have thought of the costs of replacing the screens before shipping all these replacement screens worldwide?

Nevertheless, if my screen wasn't replaced and I was aware there is a permanent fix I would have made sure I got a replacement screen.

I should say, the ranger told me that they've found that the replacement screens are developing the same issue. I didn't believe him since I don't know how they'd know that so quickly. I assumed it was just something they are saying to avoid confrontation with customers like me. I suppose he could have been telling the truth, and that's why they are stopping the replacements.

Here a top secret preview of the next software versions:
tesla.jpg

The yellowing isn't going to stop with just the outer edge. Over time it will spread inward. Screen replacement is the only solution. There are millions of cars on the road without yellowing screens, so the technology to withstand high temperatures exists. It will require a redesign though.

The yellowing isn't going to stop with just the outer edge. Over time it will spread inward. Screen replacement is the only solution. There are millions of cars on the road without yellowing screens, so the technology to withstand high temperatures exists. It will require a redesign though.

There already is a redesign confirmed by my mobile ranger who installed it, and by people at the service center. Others on this thread have confirmed as well. If you look at the prior posts, I had mine replaced last Friday, with new part numbers.

Lots of owners have taken their cars in to have the screen issue documented. Question is will they replace the screens for these people free of charge or make them pay. A software “fix” or augmentation to try and reduce the effect while the screen is on is likely coming.

Maybe they are attempting some color shifting in those areas of the screen. Maybe they can hide the yellow by some color wheel magic. This would only work while the screen is on obviously. And only if the yellow area is consistent across all screens.

Either way, for us lurkers who are on the fence to buy a used S, these issues are really turning me off from becoming an owner.

It’s interesting, with the internet age and forums, it’s hard to know what percentage of owners are really affected by these issues. The screen issue seems to be higher than others, but again in this age it’s the vocal few who can make something seem like a larger widespread issue than it really is.

That said, I had the banding issue in our X. But I’ve also driven a few older loaner S with maintenance appointments and those didn’t have any banding issues. Wondering if the banding issue occurs, if it tends to occur sooner (IE within first 2 years). Could be that if you don’t see it a couple years out there is less risk?

Anyone here have yellow banding occur later in ownership?

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I talked to three service centers. This wasn't an issue of them having out of date info. All three told me: Yes, the new screen is available. Yes, they were recently replacing them for people under warranty. But things changed suddenly, and now they are not replacing them under warranty and are requiring customer-pay ($1325-$1345). They are going back to saying that they are working on a 'software fix' to remedy this and will not be replacing screens. (which yes will only be a cover-up at best to reduce the appearance of it while on.)

Mine yellowed after about 4 months in the winter (Dec. 2018 car.) - it's not heat or "wear and tear".

The people who are posting here who got replacements are *lucky*. Not smarter, not more in the know, not more convincing -- Lucky. You guys got your service appointments scheduled in the small window when they were replacing screens (like they said they would for years.)

According to the SC's take on it: Yes. They had planned on getting a screen replacement job done, finally got the part ready, and realized that there were more defective screens than they thought, and changed their mind.

Months ago I asked my service center about this, right after I got the car. "I'm concerned that you guys may just say it's cosmetic and decide not to replace the screen." - "No no that won't happen, it's a supplier defect and we're working on the solution, don't worry we'll take care of you!" was the response.

Now here we are and the response is basically a middle finger, 'sucks to be you'.

Yeah. I realize some of you got your screens replaced. If you think I'm just not getting it -- what is it I'm doing wrong (since it obviously can't be Tesla in the wrong, right?) that's causing them to refuse to replace my yellowing screen? Am I asking in the wrong tone of voice? Are there magic words that need to be said?

Tesla is backing out on replacing the yellowing S/X screens that they promised many of us that they would fix. They are instead kicking the can down the road saying they are looking for a non-replacement option, which many of us know won't work (because it won't) - because the expense ended up being bigger than they expected.

I suspect many of us will simply fork over the $1345 (which obviously includes a ton of profit for Tesla; the 90-minute replacement job, even though they have to disassemble the dash, is not $1000 in labor, and the screen's cost is in the $350 range AT BEST...) to replace the screen if the process becomes painful enough. After all, "does your S/X have the replacement?" will be a big resale checkpoint. And I'm sure they know this.