Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate how every service center is saying something completely different and they have absolutely no form of unity as to make us all even more confused.

When i went back late May they didnt even offer a "i could replace the screen at my cost" choice.
They didnt even say a fix was coming out.
They told me straight up, a replacement was in the works which address the issue.

This really urks me on how incompetent a company such as Telsa can be in not having all there service center be unified in giving us at least the same BS.

I bet its a corporate move, so they can say, that service center was working outsides the bounds of main corporation, and not be held liable somehow, like in a limited liability corporation standard for a remote office.

And now im hearing and seeing a revision "D"?

O
M
G

wasn't it suposed to be revision C?

i can count several people on this forum who had there screens replaced to "C" with the tech saying its the unyellowing revision.
This is exactly why i wont pay for something that i have absolutely no guarantees on.

Anyhow im about to take this to arbitration soon as well.
Maybe with enough people taking it to them, Tesla might have to finally put up and stop ignoring.

I hate how every service center is saying something completely different and they have absolutely no form of unity as to make us all even more confused.

When i went back late May they didnt even offer a "i could replace the screen at my cost" choice.
They told me straight up, a replacement was in the works which address the issue.

This really urks me on how incompetent a company such as Telsa can be in not having all there service center be unified in giving us at least the same BS.

I bet its a corporate move, so they can say, that service center was working outsides the bounds of main corporation, and not be held liable somehow, like in a limited liability corporation standard for a remote office.

O
M
G

i can count several people on this forum who had there screens replaced to "C" with the tech saying its the unyellowing revision.
This is exactly why i wont pay for something that i have absolutely no guarantees on.

Maybe with enough people taking it to them, Tesla might have to finally put up and stop ignoring.

How does the arbitration process work with Tesla?

Interesting response from Tesla in another thread... Update from Tesla service on screen yellowing

View attachment 422959

Wow what complete BS. Reading that makes me so angry.

Any suggestion that the defective yellow screens are just a cosmetic issue is insulting. Any non-wear-and-tear parts should function as new for the duration of the warranty. And the display is not a wear and tear part.

I don't think this position of not fixing defective displays will end well for Tesla :(

Reactions: Matias
Wow what complete BS. Reading that makes me so angry.

Any suggestion that the defective yellow screens are just a cosmetic issue is insulting. Any non-wear-and-tear parts should function as new for the duration of the warranty. And the display is not a wear and tear part.

I don't think this position of not fixing defective displays will end well for Tesla :(
On the other hand, I received a completely different response

It clealys says it is covered by the warranty if not yet expired, or if reported prior to the expiration

Go figure

Attachments

• 32538DFF-BFED-4921-A0F5-6DA4BC736A30.png
    32538DFF-BFED-4921-A0F5-6DA4BC736A30.png
    552.6 KB · Views: 226
I can visualize the scene: The Tesla ‘surgeons’ surround the surgically removed screen sitting on a crash cart. The paddles are placed on the screen as one of the surgeons shouts out, “CLEAR!”. The shock is administered, the patient is ‘revived’ and the yellow borders are gone! Hallelujah!

Maybe this revival will be done by a service ambulance?

>> Tesla 911, what is your emergency?
<< Oh my god, it is horrible! By defective screen is turning yellow, it needs to be revived!
>> We are dispatching an emergency revival team right away. You can expect our screen revival technicians within an hour to 2 years.
<< Wait what? How long?
>> An hour to 2 years. If that does not fix it, we will fix it with a firmware update instead.
>> Is that even possible?
<< If it isn't possible, our screen "revival" technicians will fix it
>> What if the screen can't be "revived?"
<< Then we will definitely fix it with a firmware update!
>> *Facepalm*
<< Is there anything else in your car that you'd like us to revive?

• Funny
Reactions: Ken7
Every time I get in my car, I am disappointed when I look at the touchscreen. I can see this dingy yellow frame around my screen day and night. Sometimes the yellow fully obscures the buttons on the bottom and right side. I am disappointed because my service center said this is the worst case of screen yellowing they have ever seen and then told me there is nothing they can do except wait for a fix. This is not a problem that firmware, magical UV lights, or mysterious chemical elixirs will fix.

I’ve had this problem since December 2018, and I am still waiting. This means that for 40% of the time I have owned this car, I have been forced to drive it with a glaring visible defect. Every time I look at my badly yellowing screen, I am disappointed because of the possible yellowing tarnished future I foresee for Tesla and the promise of what Tesla could have been. I fear they have shown their true colors. The more they get away with treating their customers badly, the more they will try to get away with it again and again. When they finally are forced to replace all these defective screens will we be so grateful that they are completely forgiven?

IMG_0430.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Every time I get in my car, I am disappointed when I look at the touchscreen. I can see this dingy yellow frame around my screen day and night. Sometimes the yellow fully obscures the buttons on the bottom and right side. I am disappointed because my service center said this is the worst case of screen yellowing they have ever seen and then told me there is nothing they can do except wait for a fix. This is not a problem that firmware, magical UV lights, or mysterious chemical elixirs will fix.

I’ve had this problem since December 2018, and I am still waiting. This means that for 40% of the time I have owned this car, I have been forced to drive it with a glaring visible defect. Every time I look at my badly yellowing screen, I am disappointed because of the possible yellowing tarnished future I foresee for Tesla and the promise of what Tesla could have been. I fear they have shown their true colors. The more they get away with treating their customers badly, the more they will try to get away with it again and again. When they finally are forced to replace all these defective screens will we be so grateful that they are completely forgiven?

View attachment 423599
I'd file an arbitration claim and force tesla to replace it. No way I'd be patient and give them leeway to invent a BS healing solution or firmware update.

I'd file an arbitration claim and force tesla to replace it. No way I'd be patient and give them leeway to invent a BS healing solution or firmware update.

Agree - owners have already posted about their success after filing a formal dispute and going through arbitration.

At this point, assuming the cases posted were authentic, its up to the individual owner to take the initiative and put in the time and effort to go through the dispute process. All of the complaining we do here is unlikely to move the needle.

The only other thing that might hold you back is if you think the new screens are still defective.

Reactions: St Charles
The only other thing that might hold you back is if you think the new screens are still defective.

That's my concern. I don't want to go through all the trouble and possible damage to my dash for a screen that yellows in a few months as I know others have. I keep thinking about all the new Model S & X cars that are rolling off the assembly line. Are being fitted with defective screens without the customer's knowledge or is Tesla giving us a line of BS about there not being a permanently fixed screen? They can't have it both ways.

I keep thinking about all the new Model S & X cars that are rolling off the assembly line. Are being fitted with defective screens without the customer's knowledge or is Tesla giving us a line of BS about there not being a permanently fixed screen? They can't have it both ways.

Sure they can. It is possible, though not likely, that MCU2 uses a different screen that isn't compatible with MCU1.

That's my concern. I don't want to go through all the trouble and possible damage to my dash for a screen that yellows in a few months as I know others have. I keep thinking about all the new Model S & X cars that are rolling off the assembly line. Are being fitted with defective screens without the customer's knowledge or is Tesla giving us a line of BS about there not being a permanently fixed screen? They can't have it both ways.

We are in the same predicament then, however, your screen is exponentially worse than mine. I would have taken action long ago and just gambled with the new screen. You have more patience than I do...

We have yet to hear of any 2019 cars with defective displays and the screen defect show sup in about 6 months so it seems cautiously optimistic to believe the cars they are shipping now are not shipped with a defective display.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
...that they are completely forgiven?

View attachment 423599

No. Not until they start consistently addressing the outstanding issues, and put a proactive communications / customer satisfaction process in place. They may have additional runway to avoid consequences because of their product lead, but in the age of social media, attitudes change fast. All it takes is a credible competitor and continued issues like this and things can unravel.

I am not a short, nor a whiner. I am a past, current, and possible future customer, who believes he has the right to expect a certain level of quality. I don’t expect perfection. I still love driving my car. Just finished a 3 hr drive to Baltimore, Annapolis and back with all the typical rush hour traffic. It’s fun in the Tesla. Nuf said.

O
M
G

ROFL, you think different stories from different service centers? How about different stories from different people in the same service center on the same day. I got 3 different stories in one service visit! I think you are right, THERE IS NO CORPORATE MESSAGE other than DO NOT REPLACE ANY SCREENS FOR FREE. Everything else is made up by individual staffers, which could very well be what Tesla wants, so later they can wash their hands of it by saying "we didn't promise anything, this individual employee did without any authority to do so".

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
I have a strong feeling Tesla will not solve this problem any time soon or ever. Soon this will not be a problem for new cars, as their rumored September refresh will have a new screen type anyways, which means the yellowing of the old style display will no longer affect new cars, which means it will be at the very bottom of Elon's priority list, like fixing other things on cars no longer in production (it took months to fix the browser for MCU1, and that was just a software fix, so zero incremental deployment cost, unlike service visits). If refresh cars use a new screen, there is a very good chance Tesla already stopped working on trying to solve this problem for new old style displays. Someone, somewhere in a basement, on a shoestring budget, maybe working on finding a cheap way to fix existing screens.

The way I look at it is that there is some percentage, however small, of screens which don't fail. So, my best chance of getting one of those screens is to keep on swapping screens under warranty until I hit a good one. The longer I wait, the less free screen swaps I will get - once the screen goes yellow post warranty, that's $1400 per screen swap! I've been really busy lately, but my next step is the official dispute. Will try to call during east coast business hours to start the official dispute case this week.

Last edited:
Service center in Eindhoven - The Netherlands also told me "a device" is in the making which will remove the yellow banding. When asking for specifics in went into a I don't know. They service guy told me the device was already "produced" but it hasn't shipped to the Netherlands yet. Which sounds like b.s. when reading this topic :)

As a time-frame he clammed a couple month, definitely this year. He was rather downplaying the issue and almost sounded bored by my questions. He probably didn't pay a 6 figure price for a mediocre built-quality car o_O

The good thing is if or when there will be a fix, it's covered by warranty. Think I'll try to push for a new screen if this magical device isn't here in a couple of months.