Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SDG&E rate: EV-TOU-5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a drawback to this plan if you have solar, which is that super off peak is midnight-2pm on weekends and holidays. Additionally, every day in March and April has an additional super off peak period from 10am-2pm. So that's going to reduce the value of your solar.

I didn't initially consider this, but I think I'll still save with EV-TOU-5.
Good point I did not think about that that.

We have 2 Powerwalls, so all solar power from 4-9pm goes to the grid at $0.54 per kWh. That is a 5.7x multiplier, which should help make up the difference.

A couple questions if anyone knows...

1. With rooftop solar, I have NEM 1.0 (PTO 2014). Am I grandfathered in to tiered rates until 2034 with no TOU (pretty sure yes)?
2. If I sell my house, does #1 above transfer to the new owner? My googlefu fails on this one.

A couple questions if anyone knows...

1. With rooftop solar, I have NEM 1.0 (PTO 2014). Am I grandfathered in to tiered rates until 2034 with no TOU (pretty sure yes)?
2. If I sell my house, does #1 above transfer to the new owner? My googlefu fails on this one.

With your 2014 NEM installation, you have two separate dates or grandfathering periods. The 20 year grandfathering date for NEM means that you'll be able to participate in NEM (selling your output back to the grid). This has nothing to do with rates, just your ability to sell back what you produce that you're not using for 20 years.

The second grandfathering period is 5 years from your PTO and that has to do with the legacy TOU periods where peak time is noon to 6pm. You have to be signed up on a TOU rate to continue this via the grandfathering provision, If you're on a DR rate (tiered), then you don't have access to the legacy TOU periods. But if you're on EV-TOU2, for example, then you get thelegacy TOU periods for 5 years for 2014.

The rates are not locked in and change 3-4 times per year, no matter what your grandfathering status is...

I hope that helps....

Yes, thank you, that helps.

I have east-facing solar. For a variety of reasons, that was the sensible solution for my house. I am a net-consumer, but EV-TOU-5 would absolutely neuter my solar production. With my usage patterns, legacy tiered rates are best for me. I hoping I can opt-in indefinitely.

Yes, thank you, that helps.

I have east-facing solar. For a variety of reasons, that was the sensible solution for my house. I am a net-consumer, but EV-TOU-5 would absolutely neuter my solar production. With my usage patterns, legacy tiered rates are best for me. I hoping I can opt-in indefinitely.

I was told once by an SDG&E rep that, as an NEM 1.0 customer, I was eligible to switch back to DR during the 20-year grandfathering period. But I haven't been able to confirm that via the SDG&E web site. I've even looked through the Schedule NEM regulatory document, and I don't see it, but maybe it's in there somewhere:

http://regarchive.sdge.com/tm2/pdf/ELEC_ELEC-SCHEDS_NEM.pdf

I was told once by an SDG&E rep that, as an NEM 1.0 customer, I was eligible to switch back to DR during the 20-year grandfathering period. But I haven't been able to confirm that via the SDG&E web site. I've even looked through the Schedule NEM regulatory document, and I don't see it, but maybe it's in there somewhere:

http://regarchive.sdge.com/tm2/pdf/ELEC_ELEC-SCHEDS_NEM.pdf

Mark, since being an NEM customer doesn't have anything to do with the rate you're on, I don't see why you couldn't switch to any available rate when you want...There is the 12 month provision on several of the rates, but other than that, I think you could switch...

Mark, since being an NEM customer doesn't have anything to do with the rate you're on, I don't see why you couldn't switch to any available rate when you want...There is the 12 month provision on several of the rates, but other than that, I think you could switch...

Except that my understanding is that DR is being phased out. Everyone is going to get switched over to TOU in the not so distant future. But is there an exception for NEM 1.0 customers like I was told?

Exception for what? Moving to TOU from tiered?

What I was told was that during my 20 years on NEM 1.0, I can switch back from TOU to tiered (DR). My understanding is that won't be an option for anyone else (either NEM 2.0 or non-NEM customers... everyone is supposedly going to be forced onto TOU in a year or two).

I was trying to address @PC Principal's first question, which wasn't fully answered.

DR is the default rate for residential customers. It is true that TOU rates are being offered to standard residential customers, but there is an opt-out option back to the DR rate. I suppose it is possible that another rate down the road may be the opt out rate, but DR is still there for the time being if you want it...

To avoid any misunderstanding, we reiterate our observation in D.15-07-001 that customers do not have any entitlement to the continuation of any particular underlying rate design, or particular rates. The 20-year period we designate applies only to a customer-generator's ability to continue service under the NEM successor tariff established by this decision.116

http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/Published/G000/M158/K181/158181678.pdf

SDG&E has the option to allow or disallow. You're guaranteed net metering for 20 years - that's clear by the document. Rates and rate plans are not guaranteed from my interpretation. I'd surmise if they close the tariff, it's closed to all and existing will be moved to TOU. I couldn't find anything stated otherwise in the cpuc documents.

Getting a firm answer out of SDG&E in writing is impossible. I'm on NEM ST and I was sent a letter stating that I had to move to TOU before 11/2017 if I wanted to take service under the (then current) TOU plan with peak during the day. Otherwise, I could stay on tiered (DR SES) but would be forced to new TOU with peak in late aft/evening in 2019. After moving to TOU, I was told I could move back to tiered because it was still offered and could also move back to "legacy" TOU within 5 years of PTO, but of course I could not get this in writing.

DR is the default rate for residential customers. It is true that TOU rates are being offered to standard residential customers, but there is an opt-out option back to the DR rate. I suppose it is possible that another rate down the road may be the opt out rate, but DR is still there for the time being if you want it...

So perhaps I misunderstood, based on the way it's stated in a lot of places, that the transition to TOU will be phased in starting in 2017 and completing in 2019. See, for instance:

SDG&E begins to roll out new pricing plans based on time of day usage

All of the other customers in San Diego will be automatically phased in by 2019.

I can see now there is some ambiguity in this statement. So what actually happens in 2019? Everyone will be automatically switched to TOU, but opt out is still possible?

With your 2014 NEM installation, you have two separate dates or grandfathering periods. The 20 year grandfathering date for NEM means that you'll be able to participate in NEM (selling your output back to the grid). This has nothing to do with rates, just your ability to sell back what you produce that you're not using for 20 years.

The second grandfathering period is 5 years from your PTO and that has to do with the legacy TOU periods where peak time is noon to 6pm. You have to be signed up on a TOU rate to continue this via the grandfathering provision, If you're on a DR rate (tiered), then you don't have access to the legacy TOU periods. But if you're on EV-TOU2, for example, then you get thelegacy TOU periods for 5 years for 2014.

The rates are not locked in and change 3-4 times per year, no matter what your grandfathering status is...

I hope that helps....

i love this forum! thanks for your post.

maybe you can help me clarify something - our solar went "live" in November 2013. we are going to reach our 5 year anniversary soon. i haven't been keeping up with my SDGE bill review and just assumed they moved us to 4-9pm peak periods (which really sucks if you have solar and kids home from school that period!).

but i just checked my july bill and it shows peak is still 12-6pm. so does that mean after November this year, i lose that and i will be on 4-9pm peak?