Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Hold policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These last months of the year should be telling. I would guess Tesla's global demand will drop off a bit r/t the slowing global economy, interest rates, and the tax credit. There isn't much compelling EV competition but reduced prices might be enough for some to look elsewhere. Tesla might need to shift gears and start focusing more on the customer.

Reactions: roostY and acpd
These last months of the year should be telling. I would guess Tesla's global demand will drop off a bit r/t the slowing global economy, interest rates, and the tax credit. There isn't much compelling EV competition but reduced prices might be enough for some to look elsewhere. Tesla might need to shift gears and start focusing more on the customer.
I would love to see Tesla put more focus on customer service/loyalty.

Having been a volunteer helper at some of the EoQ delivery days, I would hate to take delivery then.
Sadly, my current delivery for my Y is the last three weeks of December, so EoQ and EoY all rolled into one.
Not looking forward to the rushed delivery process and the employees having too much to do to bother paying attention to their customer.

Not sure when will this take effect but it says 7 days hold only!!

And all this ties into your previous poll about the configurator EDD. Tesla is keeping that EDD at Dec-XXX so they can force as many deliveries as possible in December and stop people delaying into Jan for tax credit. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep that EDD range at Dec-XXX all the way up to December just to give themselves free rein come December EOQ.

And all this ties into your previous poll about the configurator EDD. Tesla is keeping that EDD at Dec-XXX so they can force as many deliveries as possible in December and stop people delaying into Jan for tax credit. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep that EDD range at Dec-XXX all the way up to December just to give themselves free rein come December EOQ.
I agree. They already know everyone will try to push deliver into January.

If you are not in hurry and qualify for Tax credit based on income. I would hold off till 1/1/2023 to order. We don't know how much MY will qualify but seems like $3,750 likely with $7,500 possible.

I read that the purchase contract provides for a hold up to 30 days. Is this new policy for perspective orders or retroactive? I haven't read the contract cover-to-cover, but if they are making this retroactive, they have some clause that allows them to change the hold window.

Edit: According to this contract https://www.tesla.com/order/download-order-agreement?country=US, it's 14 days.
Why are there 2 provisions? There's a mention of 3 days and 14 days on this link.

I read that the purchase contract provides for a hold up to 30 days. Is this new policy for perspective orders or retroactive? I haven't read the contract cover-to-cover, but if they are making this retroactive, they have some clause that allows them to change the hold window.

Edit: According to this contract https://www.tesla.com/order/download-order-agreement?country=US, it's 14 days.
Your order agreement in your app will tell what was in effect when you made your order. I ordered in November of 2021 and my agreement allows placing the delivery on “hold” one time for up to 30 days. Then I must accept the next offered delivery or cancel the order. I understand Tesla changed that 30 day provision to just 14 days, but I don’t know when that went into effect. Your order agreement will tell you what your option is.

Reactions: kenstl
@snovvman @Skipcam

Let me tell y'all my story:

"For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within (14/30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."

What it means is the day your VIN is assigned, you can request hold for (14/30) days. However, the day after the hold is lifted, you automatically breach the agreement and Delivery Operations team will likely to cancel your order, and your sales advisor can do nothing about it, gone.

This was a hard lesson learn from my 2021 delivery. Sales, Delivery Operations, and Legal within Tesla don't talk much. So be careful with whatever you and your sales advisor are doing with the order.

Summary: no matter what you do, click take delivery within the agreement timeframe.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhk109
@snovvman @Skipcam

What it means is the day your VIN is assigned, you can request hold for (14/30) days. However, the day after the hold is lifted, you automatically breach the agreement and Delivery Operations team will likely to cancel your order, and your sales advisor can do nothing about it, gone.

@kithytom, thanks. The agreement reads "we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center" along with "For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30/14) days of our first attempt to notify you..." For clarification, you are saying that their "first attempt" is when a VIN is assigned? I thought the order of things are--VIN assigned, *estimated delivery date*, then notification of actual delivery date?

What I do not know is once VIN is assigned, how long it takes for them to get the vehicle to the delivery point for delivery. If that process takes 15 days and the person has a 14 day contract, then he/she is already in breach. I thought the 14/30 was from their contact telling you the car is at depot ready to pick up.

You have actual experience, so I'd like to better understand.

My order agreement has a provision to put the order on “hold” for up to 30: days. That’s not to be confused with other language indicating you must take delivery within 30 days of their first attempt to notify you. If they notify you with a VIN and you don’t contact them, then in 30 days they cancel your order.

My order agreement has a provision to put the order on “hold” for up to 30: days. That’s not to be confused with other language indicating you must take delivery within 30 days of their first attempt to notify you. If they notify you with a VIN and you don’t contact them, then in 30 days they cancel your order.

What was your order date. Will you please post the "hold" clause? Thanks.