Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2024 Tesla Tire Repair Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The concern will start when they have to replace those wickedly expensive sensors (as I found out with my 2014 MS). Maybe they're cheaper now ?? I do get it that being stranded is a nightmare. Might be good that people know that stuff could cost them $$$ and maybe the instructions say so?

There are alternatives though I'm still to trying to figure out what would be best for me. I'm not gonna be reaming a puncture and pushing one of those tire plugs at my age. And definitely not removing a wheel - that act was OK 40 years ago with tiny Japanese car wheels. My plan is to start with AAA, then tire plug screws; carry a can of the sealant as I last resort.

2014 sensors are standard off the shelf and be had for $10-15 a pop. MY uses a proprietary BT sensor which is big bucks. The sealant is not good for sensors, and tire shops hate them, but if you're not driving with it in your tire for a long period of time I wouldn't be too concerned. Alternatively, just call roadside assistance like oyu said.

My emergency kit is roadside assistance. Not that I can't change a tire but todays generation, forget it. Even my wife would call me to ask what she should do. I have spare tires as in winter sets so I would drive out and change it for her then repair the tire if roadside was several hours away which I doubt would be the case.

My last flat tire between my wife and I was about 18 years ago by the way. Officer gave me a mouthful saying I should have called roadside since changing a tire is dangerous.

a TPMS sensor is around $32.

2014 sensors are standard off the shelf and be had for $10-15 a pop. MY uses a proprietary BT sensor which is big bucks. The sealant is not good for sensors, and tire shops hate them, but if you're not driving with it in your tire for a long period of time I wouldn't be too concerned. Alternatively, just call roadside assistance like oyu said.
probably a subject of another thread but those $15 sensors were not an option for my 2014 MS. They do not work. Many threads and online discussion (plus Tesla service) confirms this.

Reactions: KevinT3141
OK, so reading many other threads on the subject: that goop does not work with foamed tires (sound insulation) and apparently tesla service has confirmed that. So, you ruin your TPMS sensor, your wicked expensive clothes (mine being my $10 t-shirt and ancient jeans), and you're no further down the road ...

I'm reading these threads because I will be driving 3200 miles across the country and fingers crossed there will be cell service and I won't have to wait for hours for help. But since I've been in situations where 1) Towing (road assist) refused to come because AAA wasn't paying tow companies enough to make it worth their while or 2) Towing (road assist) will come - just maybe not that day; also happened to me. Whatever, skip the goop.

I’ve kept a M18 inflator in my vehicle for the last couple years, before that it was a M12. I live near the beach and have to air down to 11 psi then air up afterwards. The battery lasts at least 6 months in the car, it attaches and stores on the compressor. I also have the M12 heated jacket and dozens of tools, so Milwaukee batteries are never far for me.
You drove your MY on the beach?

My emergency kit is roadside assistance. Not that I can't change a tire but todays generation, forget it. Even my wife would call me to ask what she should do. I have spare tires as in winter sets so I would drive out and change it for her then repair the tire if roadside was several hours away which I doubt would be the case.

My last flat tire between my wife and I was about 18 years ago by the way. Officer gave me a mouthful saying I should have called roadside since changing a tire is dangerous.

a TPMS sensor is around $32.

Nice find, I didn't realize non-Tesla BT TPMS sensors were available