Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla? Nope, never again! Cherry Hill Tesla the worst.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to see Tesla consider approving third party repair stations that can provide warranty service on Tesla vehicles. This could augment their existing service center infrastructure and provide additional resources where Tesla can’t keep up with existing volume. A hybrid model where Tesla still provides service but allows select third party providers to assist would be a novel approach to an ongoing problem where Tesla can’t always provide enough support in every geographic area where they have a significant volume of vehicles on the road requiring service.

Reactions: Runt8
Only if those dealerships ONLY sold Teslas.

At this point Tesla would have no problem establishing Tesla only franchises with existing car dealers. Some would suck, but in major urban areas all of these Tesla franchises would have competition.

The mistake both Tesla and Solarcity made is that the customer facing operations that look good in the beginning are too naively designed to scale well. We shall see if Tesla Energy is making the same mistake by doing home installations.

I have a thorough and detail conversation with an Amazon rep over a ripped $7 bag of mixed nuts. Yet I can't get a return communication from Tesla on a question concerning a $50K car they sold me. And now Tesla is going to grow 40X in 10 years.

• Funny
Reactions: avesraggiana
Regarding diagnostic fees under warranty. My BMW i3 charge port lock wasn't working so it wouldn't DC-charge. Error on the EVGo station specifically said it couldn't charge because the port wasn't locked. Apparently CCS requires the port to lock in order to charge for safety reasons. I could see the lock mechanism was stuck. Anyway, I called the local BMW dealer to make an appointment and told them exactly what was wrong. They told me they would be charging me a $150 diagnostic fee. I said I already diagnosed it and I shouldn't have to pay that, especially while under warranty. They said the fee was non-negotiable. I felt very "ripped-off".

A warranty claim and diagnostic fee should not even go together. Maybe if you were wasting their time sure. But yes refuse all that clap trap on any car where you have a good claim. They should fix it at 0 cost.

Sadly I don’t think there is much of a “pre delivery inspection”.

I would think that a car that is essentially a computer with firmware and device integration out the wazu, there would be a self-diagnostic check that would show the availability of every controller and sensor they could reference. I don't know with mine. At delivery there was a warning that AP wasn't available yet due to calibration. Once I drove about 10 miles, it completed calibration and then said Autopilot wasn't available because the cameras aren't all working.

What does make me a little nervous (and I admit I didn't think this through before buying) is that there are no third-party alternatives for service and the parts supply doesn't include distributors or third parties. If I wanted to buy that side marker camera and put it in myself (if I was out of warranty or just didn't want to wait three weeks for an appointment), I can't buy the OEM part the way I can for any BMW, VW or Audi. The best I can do is find a salvage part sold "as is".

I would think that a car that is essentially a computer with firmware and device integration out the wazu, there would be a self-diagnostic check that would show the availability of every controller and sensor they could reference. I don't know with mine. At delivery there was a warning that AP wasn't available yet due to calibration. Once I drove about 10 miles, it completed calibration and then said Autopilot wasn't available because the cameras aren't all working.

What does make me a little nervous (and I admit I didn't think this through before buying) is that there are no third-party alternatives for service and the parts supply doesn't include distributors or third parties. If I wanted to buy that side marker camera and put it in myself (if I was out of warranty or just didn't want to wait three weeks for an appointment), I can't buy the OEM part the way I can for any BMW, VW or Audi. The best I can do is find a salvage part sold "as is".
Yeah..... you bring up some good points Dave!!

This article is in relation to a Model S camera upgrade but it does list the parts that can (supposedly) be ordered separately.

Camera Upgrade – TeslaTap

Cherry Hill called me today (first business day after delivery) with the perfunctory, "Just wanted to make sure everything was great!". The perky girl became quite dour when I said, "Actually, not great. I have a dead camera" and I explained exactly what the problem was and told her I wanted to bring it in tomorrow - not two weeks from now when the first appointment is available. She said "Let me walk over to service, can you tell me what the problem is again?" o_O

She came back and said I could bring it in tomorrow. I know the cameras are backordered. I'm going to suggest they use the showroom car as an donor. It's a five minute deal to replace the repeater camera. I'd buy one off of eBay if I knew they worked. So far I've talked with five other Q3 build owners who have this problem.