Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla wall charger a ripoff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had to replace my original wall unit (Sept'18) due to lightening strike. The new is rated at 48 amps...my old unit delivered 80 amps. I know,I should have read the specs. In my defense, it was the only unit shown and I was in a hurry. Does anyone have any after market experience with wall units? i can't even get a response from Tesla.

Had to replace my original wall unit (Sept'18) due to lightening strike. The new is rated at 48 amps...my old unit delivered 80 amps. I know,I should have read the specs. In my defense, it was the only unit shown and I was in a hurry. Does anyone have any after market experience with wall units? i can't even get a response from Tesla.

Buy a new-in-box Gen 2 Wall Connector on eBay, Facebook Marketplace or right here in the TMC For Sale section. You can probably return or sell the Gen 3 Wall Connector for what you paid.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

The cars haven't been able to charge over 48A for a while, hence the change in specs in recent connectors. If you really want to be able to charge at 80A again, you'll need to find a leftover Gen2 charger in the For Sale forum here or on eBay etc.

Does your current Tesla have dual chargers and can is handle 80A??

I wanted a Gen2 unit for current sharing with my existing Gen 2.... just had to wait for a gen 2 to come available in the tesla shop to get one. I really wish they'd just get the current sharing working. The Gen3 unit has rs485 pins on hte base plate, I assume to keep it compatible with the older units. Release the current sharing firmware please!

Just because it only goes to 48A doesn't make it a "rip off" as you state in your title. Please remember that the original HPWC was over $1,000 when it was originally sold. How much is the Gen3, $500? Rip off indeed. ;)

Just because it only goes to 48A doesn't make it a "rip off" as you state in your title. Please remember that the original HPWC was over $1,000 when it was originally sold. How much is the Gen3, $500? Rip off indeed. ;)
Thanks for for the reply. My new Tesla wall charger averages 36 KW vs. the 72KW on my old one and I only had to pay ten dollars more! I would never buy after market for my 100D, keep the faith my friend.

Thanks for for the reply. My new Tesla wall charger averages 36 KW vs. the 72KW on my old one and I only had to pay ten dollars more! I would never buy after market for my 100D, keep the faith my friend.

Amps, not kW. Your new unit should support up to 48 amps on a 60 amp circuit. If you’re only getting 36, you may need to adjust its configuration.

Reactions: nwdiver
It can be nice to have the option to charge quickly at home for instance if you have to make a rushed return home from vacation and continue on to some other destination for instance in the case of a family member having a medical emergency. I dropped the wife and kids at home and an 80amp connection at home would have saved me 2 supercharging stops when my Dad had a heart attack.
Also, as stated load sharing is nother reason for a wall connector.
Another good reason is so you have a backup charging option, with a wall connector your UMC becomes your backup incase something happens to your primary.

But other than those ideas yes everyone who buys a wall connector is an idiot for spending a few hundred more on top of the tens of thousands they already pissed away on a depreciating asset.

I like the charging station because it's clean and looks nice on the wall. Then the cord that came with the car, just stays in the car all the time so I don't have to remember to unhook it and take it with me when I go places.

When I add more Tesla's, I can just add more cascading chargers.

just curious. Do some find the need to charge that fast at home? Im still using the mobile charger that came with the car on a 240volt outlet. Plugging in at night before bed means a full charge by the time I wake up. I had originally planned to get the Wall charger, but quickly found that I had no need.

I bought a new S in April, and thought I would need a WC. But we dont. It is still in its box and we're only using the 220V wall socket occasionally to charge a bit over night. Most of the time we charge for free at the mall here, like once a week. 520km or 80% will last us sooo long on the island where we live. I'll probably sell the WC.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I bought a new S in April, and thought I would need a WC. But we dont. It is still in its box and we're only using the 220V wall socket occasionally to charge a bit over night. Most of the time we charge for free at the mall here, like once a week. 520km or 80% will last us sooo long on the island where we live. I'll probably sell the WC.
If that is DC fast charging you should know Tesla has a history of eventually slowing charging on cars that fast charge very often.

If that is DC fast charging you should know Tesla has a history of eventually slowing charging on cars that fast charge very often.

Yes but their car is from April 2020. With the latest software, it likely supports the new 225 kW+ rate. It may go higher. Even if they slow it down in a few years due to frequent Supercharging, you might not even really notice a 10 or 20 kW difference in terms of charge time when you are charging initially at 225+ kW. Plus, the new cars have a lot of improvements. Perhaps they have greatly (and hopefully) reduced the need for any future Supercharging slowdowns due to high Supercharger use.

Last edited:
Reactions: nomis_nehc
The Gen 3 charger has upgradeable firmware and WiFi access to view any recorded Alerts and to configure charging rate. Also, it can automatically adjust to support another charger on the same circuit. Mine has already automatically received a firmware update to correct a problem with overheating of certain battery connections. More features will be available in the future. If you have a 60A circuit, it will support 48A to car. You may need to reconfigure it by logging in and setting it up properly.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ostrichsak
The Gen 3 charger [...] can automatically adjust to support another charger on the same circuit.
It cannot.
More features will be available in the future.
Yes. For instance this functionality to share power on one circuit.

Don't give people false hope with this pathetically unfinished product that was prematurely released. Only the Gen 2 wall connectors have circuit sharing right now.

It cannot.

Yes. For instance this functionality to share power on one circuit.

Don't give people false hope with this pathetically unfinished product that was prematurely released. Only the Gen 2 wall connectors have circuit sharing right now.
You are correct. I haven't used this sharing feature, but only know about it from Tesla's marketing material. My crystal ball says it will be enabled soon, and the Gen 2 will become more problematic over time. It charges too fast to be used continuously. I think Tesla feels the current batteries handle the 48A much better with less degradation. Maybe for occasional use the higher power would be helpful. Good luck to you. I am happy, and think the Gen 3 is plenty fast. I hope you can get what you want.

My crystal ball says it will be enabled soon,
;) If you only knew how much of an inside Tesla joke "soon" is. Everything was "soon", no matter how awfully delayed it was.

I think Tesla feels the current batteries handle the 48A much better with less degradation. Maybe for occasional use the higher power would be helpful.
That's nonsense. Home charging levels are far too low for the battery to care at all.

and the Gen 2 will become more problematic over time. It charges too fast to be used continuously. [...] and think the Gen 3 is plenty fast.
Well, that's the interesting thing, isn't it? When something is built to just barely handle the edge of its capabilities at maximum level, it is being strained, having more heat, and more prone to failure when run at maximum level at lot. We've already been seeing that with how troublesome and marginal the Gen3 units have been trying to handle 48A. The Gen2 was a more established, more mature design, capable of handling a higher maximum level, so it is incredibly stable and robust running at an easy cool 48A.