Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tint has bubbles and cracks in rear window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F3911CA4-B49D-47F0-8907-E14CDD0C2FFB.jpeg
View attachment 413131

I got my M3 tinted about 4 weeks ago at a place with very good yelp reviews. The guy has done a lot of M3s.

Washed my car today and noticed several spots where the tint has a bubble or cracks.

The guy said he will re-tint the entire back window, if he cannot fix the problem areas.

Question: will it mess up my rear defroster lines if I let him remove the tint and reapply tint? Or is it pretty safe to redo?

8A76BA2C-49BA-468C-A388-532754651CD4.jpeg

It's pretty much a lottery from what my tinter told me. I have some contamination on my back window as well. The lines may or may not get damaged when removing the tint. You pretty much have to weigh out the risk for youself. How much does that current tint bother you and are you willing to deal with Tesla service when the defroster lines break. They will most likely not cover you since you were installing tint over the glass.

It's pretty much a lottery from what my tinter told me. I have some contamination on my back window as well. The lines may or may not get damaged when removing the tint. You pretty much have to weigh out the risk for youself. How much does that current tint bother you and are you willing to deal with Tesla service when the defroster lines break. They will most likely not cover you since you were installing tint over the glass.

good point , in this case, it seems the best action is to allow the installer to fix the existing tint & decline a full replacement

I think the small bubbles near the pillar can be fixed easily and won’t be really noticeable at all.

The “white spots” don’t seem like they can be fixed without replacing the film. And I suppose I can live with those — but kinda sucks that I paid $500 and didn’t get what I paid for .. :/

I would absolutely hold the installer accountable and allow him to fix his problem. If it damages the defroster lines then deal with that when it happens. It's possible, but I've never seen removal of tinting cause damage to defroster lines unless someone uses a razor blade or some other friction device to peel it off. I doubt that's the method your installer would use.

@Tezla1 just curious what brand and VLT level of tint did you get? i see like no air gaps on the defroster lines that i see with other tint jobs due to the thickness of the tint and perhaps the thickness of the defroster lines.

(i ask about VLT as well as some tint brands I found out has a different thickness (XPEL Prime XR and the plus version is actually thicker for their 70 versions). Prime is notable for only being 1.5 mil thick for most of their tints vs 2.0 mil for most other nano-ceramic tints)

Last edited:
The tint was done by this shop, owner name is Sarkis:

AccutintPro.com
1700 W Foothill Blvd
Ste A
Upland, CA 91786

I took the car back today as he instructed. He saw the bubble inside the car and the white spots, apparently from dust inside the tint.

He said “that’s normal”

I said... I’ve never seen that in my 20 years of getting previous cars tinted... to which he said “sigh.. I’ll take care if it for you “ with a half smile and half annoyance.

I said, do you expect me to just leave it alone? To which he replied with a smug, “I’ll take care of it for you” with a more serious tone this time

I kind of stood there, speechless.

I was expecting an apology for having to drive back to the shop, take half day off from work just to bring the car back because of THEIR mistake, especially after paying $500 for a tint job.

But no, he just gave me this annoying stare and said “it will be taken care of ...” no apology, no other details , no hint of taking responsibility. He said it won’t take long.
I said how long, he said not long. I said I need to know approx time, he finally said 2-3 hours , lol. I said ok, I need to get back home.

So I now have to pay for Uber to go back home. I asked, “will you cover my Uber ride back home? it’s 15 min from here.”

He replied : “ we will replace the whole rear window tint for you...” this time, with a frown on his face.

I replied and told him I spent $25 on Uber when I brought the car to him the first time. Now, I have to spend an additional $25 on top of taking a day off work.

I said I think it’s fair you cover my Uber.

He frowned more and just said “I’ll take care of everything and walked off into the shop”

I stood there, wondering wtf just happened.

I thought about just taking my car and leaving...then I called an Uber and now I’m on the way home

Very sour experience , not sure if I should’ve left my car with him, but oh well, sentry mode is ON lol

AccutintPro.com
1700 W Foothill Blvd
Ste A
Upland, CA 91786

I took the car back today as he instructed. He saw the bubble inside the car and the white spots, apparently from dust inside the tint.

He said “that’s normal”

I said... I’ve never seen that in my 20 years of getting previous cars tinted... to which he said “sigh.. I’ll take care if it for you “ with a half smile and half annoyance.

I said, do you expect me to just leave it alone? To which he replied with a smug, “I’ll take care of it for you” with a more serious tone this time

I was expecting an apology for having to drive back to the shop, take half day off from work just to bring the car back because of THEIR mistake, especially after paying $500 for a tint job.

But no, he just gave me this annoying stare and said “it will be taken care of ...” no apology, no other details , no hint of taking responsibility. He said it won’t take long.
I said how long, he said not long. I said I need to know approx time, he finally said 2-3 hours , lol. I said ok, I need to get back home.

So I now have to pay for Uber to go back home. I asked, “will you cover my Uber ride back home? it’s 15 min from here.”

He replied : “ we will replace the whole rear window tint for you...” this time, with a frown on his face.

I replied and told him I spent $25 on Uber when I brought the car to him the first time. Now, I have to spend an additional $25 on top of taking a day off work.

He frowned more and just said “I’ll take care of everything and walked off into the shop”

I thought about just taking my car and leaving...then I called an Uber and now I’m on the way home

Very sour experience , not sure if I should’ve left my car with him, but oh well, sentry mode is ON lol

Google review them! Google reviews are seen more than Yelp. I hate seeing shops in my industry behaving like this and getting away with it.

View attachment 413132 View attachment 413131

I got my M3 tinted about 4 weeks ago at a place with very good yelp reviews. The guy has done a lot of M3s.

Washed my car today and noticed several spots where the tint has a bubble or cracks.

The guy said he will re-tint the entire back window, if he cannot fix the problem areas.

Question: will it mess up my rear defroster lines if I let him remove the tint and reapply tint? Or is it pretty safe to redo?

View attachment 413133

What brand of tint did they use? What did you end up doings? I have noticed some bubbles too after I took it to car wash

AccutintPro.com
1700 W Foothill Blvd
Ste A
Upland, CA 91786

He said “that’s normal”

How did this turn out?

Brand of tint: Suntek CXP nano hybrid carbon technology

Mine is Rayno hybrid ceramic and carbon. I did it about a month ago and just noticed these bubbles. Not sure what to do. Its only visible in daylight if you look closely like yours. But not sure if I want them to take it off and do it again and mess something up. I kind of want to get some of my money back.
What are you planning to do?

I had all windows and windshield tinted yesterday, 4 days after delivery, except the top sun window.

30 all around including the back and 50 on the windshield. I also walked away after paying 900 for Llumar IRX nano ceramic tint at Dynamic Auto Custom in Santa Ana.

Mildly amusing, they had forgotten to install the windshield tint, which they installed in the next 45 minutes or so. Weird.

I too walked away with two big bubbles on the back window. They said give it 10 days for it to cure and bring the car back if they don't go away. I will post an update later with the resolution in case anyone might be interested. Check the picture.

Attachments

• 20230618_124258.jpg
    20230618_124258.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 68