Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires at 21,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
any suggestions for the best bang for the buck tires? Which tires' tread last longest?
A tough question to answer. You can buy tires that last a long time, give a lousy and loud ride.
I think there is a trade off here.
I tend to go with OEM replacement products on my vehicles. My wife has a Subaru Crosstrek and could save money by having the local gas station do an oil change, but I go to the dealer to have it done. I personally think that Subaru filters and oil are top of the line, even though I pay more.
I wanted to go with the OEM tires, I would like to think that Tesla engineering had a say in this. As far as price, the service dept was competitive on price, perhaps a ripoff of the labor charges. When it comes to windshield wiper blades, cabin air filters and engine air filters, I like to use the OEM, but that is me.

Reactions: Gogoplata and KenC
Braking has no extra impact on tire wear vs. regen. Assuming the same deceleration force of the tires, it doesn't matter whether the force was created by physical brakes or regen - the wear impact is exactly the same.
It was more in the sense that if you have to use the regular brake, you are stopping to quickly. Even then I try to not put too much regen at once either.

Replacing tires with 5/32 tread left is absurd and incredibly wasteful. Tesla pulls that crap on me every time I’m in there and I respectfully tell them to get bent.

“Because it’s a heavy car” 😂

What a bunch of BS.
An interesting angle on things. I would like to think you are right. Perhaps you can give us your background on EV tire engineering to substantiate your opinion.

An interesting angle on things. I would like to think you are right. Perhaps you can give us your background on EV tire engineering to substantiate your opinion.
I mean, you can believe me or not. Just know that I’ve got no skin in the game, don’t have any incentive to sell you something you don’t need to bolster my bottom line, and am likely at least as qualified as the service technician at Tesla making $15 an hour being told by corporate to push new tires on everyone that walks through the door.

My qualifications: 160,000 miles over 6 sets of tires on a “heavy” Model S, plus the common sense to know there’s no particularly valid reason to throw something in the trash with ~50% of its useful life left per the manufacturer’s recommendation and specification.

Please don’t take this personally. You’re not the first or the last person to be put in this situation by flatly dishonest service organizations pushing stuff you don’t need to fatten the invoice. But do know you’re getting taken advantage of, and throwing away perfectly good resources for no reason.

That is really poor wear on the tires.
I agree, and he have the OEM Michelin All Season too. Got me scratching my head. But I figured, he might as well replace them on or after next summer since he literally puts maybe about 5-6k miles a year so unless he makes burnouts, he would still be only at around 20k miles, but I think replacing it at 3/32 tread wear is reasonable. BTW, it was Discount Tire that told him this, and it’s the same store we always go to so I’ve no reason to doubt them.

Last edited:
I agree, and he have the OEM Michelin All Season too. Got me scratching my head. But I figured, he might as well replace them before next winter. unless he makes burnouts, it should last at least 25-30k miles. BTW, it was Discount Tire that told him this, and it’s the same store we always go to so I’ve no reason to doubt them.

8/32 is new and they are telling him to replace at 5/32? Its pretty premature and they have an economic interest in him replacing that tire early. I always heard the DoT recommends 2/32 as time for replacement. I've talked to my tire guy at Discount Tires and he starts saying I should be thinking about new tires around 4/32 but i can wait until they get to 3/32...but he sees 2/32 all the time. Sounds like just wasting money at 5/32 replacement.

So I scheduled a tire rotation. My last rotation was at about 10K miles, now had 21K miles.

That's pretty decent mileage for an AWD Model 3.
Mine barely last 12K, but then I ride on performance rubbers.

That's actually not too bad, right? Expecting tires to last 20-25K depending on how one drive.

For all-seasons on 4,200+ Model 3? I would definitely agree.
For performance tiers on the same? That would be a miracle. Low teens are the norm.
If you enjoy driving, and drive with passion.

Service person came out and told me that miles tires were worn to 4/32“ in front and 5/32” in rear and recommended new tires.
He said that DOT recommends 2/32” but because Tesla is a heavy car, they recommend to change tires at 4/32”.

DOT doesn't do recommendations.
In just about all states, local state laws mandate that driving on tires below 2/32" is illegal.

I am very busy now with my work and don’t have time to shop around so I agreed and did the tires at the Tesla service center. Took them less than 1 hour of waiting to do the job.
Car rides very smooth.
$295 per tire + $5 tire disposal fee per tire + $200 labor + tax = $1,460.38!
An expensive day.

Not at all.
If you are too busy to shop around, $1,460.38 is dirt cheap.
On the other hand, if you are not too busy to post on this forum, then you got fleeced!
:cool:

In So Cal you can literally drive on bald tires (thanks severe drought!). Next time plan ahead.

That's extremely dumb, not to mention illegal.
For the last 2/32nds, most tires change into hard-rubber compound that looses most of its traction. And hydroplanes on lawn sprinkler puddles.

a

I'm surprised the OP didn't manage to get a tire warranty claim when buying new ones.

I'm surprised you haven't researched to find out that OEM sold tires are excluded from tire warranties.

• Disagree
Reactions: zhu-
I'm surprised you haven't researched to find out that OEM sold tires are excluded from tire warranties.

Interesting. Discount Tire successfully did a claim for me when I replaced my OEM tires.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
That's pretty decent mileage for an AWD Model 3.
Mine barely last 12K, but then I ride on performance rubbers.

For all-seasons on 4,200+ Model 3? I would definitely agree.
For performance tiers on the same? That would be a miracle. Low teens are the norm.
If you enjoy driving, and drive with passion.

DOT doesn't do recommendations.
In just about all states, local state laws mandate that driving on tires below 2/32" is illegal.

Not at all.
If you are too busy to shop around, $1,460.38 is dirt cheap.
On the other hand, if you are not too busy to post on this forum, then you got fleeced!
:cool:

That's extremely dumb, not to mention illegal.
For the last 2/32nds, most tires change into hard-rubber compound that looses most of its traction. And hydroplanes on lawn sprinkler puddles.

a
I’m not saying it’s a good idea but more of an observation. Take a look at peoples tires around So Cal sometime. All balding or totally bald. That’s why there are so many accidents at the lightest sprinkling of rain.

@Willy’sEV - if it makes you feel any better (it won't), I'm just under 38k miles and on my 3rd set of tires. I had majorly uneven wear patterns on my first two sets, what a waste.

On the plus side - when the light turns green, all of those cars that weren't even racing me eat my dust.
I’m at 39k miles on my OEM set of PS4s. Y’all drive like maniacs.

I’m not saying it’s a good idea but more of an observation. Take a look at peoples tires around So Cal sometime. All balding or totally bald. That’s why there are so many accidents at the lightest sprinkling of rain.

I am not sure I would publicly promote natural selection as a method of promoting better driving habits among Tesla owners.
Our insurance rates are too high already!

I’m at 39k miles on my OEM set of PS4s. Y’all drive like maniacs.

My wife does all the Model 3 driving lately. You want to tell her that - be my guest.
I know better.