Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires at 21,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Replacing tires with 5/32 tread left is absurd and incredibly wasteful. Tesla pulls that crap on me every time I’m in there and I respectfully tell them to get bent.

Huge difference between tires in California and here in the Northeast.

I won’t go below 4/32”. You don’t wanna drive on that sloppy wet mushy ice/snow BS on tires with low tread. No tread to bite into that makes for a bad day.

Bought enough used tires as a poor college kid to know better.

Reactions: afadeev and KenC
I'm surprised you haven't researched to find out that OEM sold tires are excluded from tire warranties.

Not always. I received a tread wear warranty on my OEM Michelins MXM's with the help of Discount Tire. Tires were at 2/32 after 21k on my M3P. Got me I believe $200 credit toward a replacement set. That was 2 years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and XPsionic
My winter tires lasted barely 12k miles, the thread was still there but the weight of the car annihilated the tiny slats and made them horribly noisy. The summer 20” PS4Ss are still good enough after 35k miles, which is curious.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
We picked up a nail on our Model 3 LR the other day. I only knew that because I saw the caution light on tire pressure. We are just under 20k miles and I have been considering replacing our tires this Spring anyway because there is a distinct tire "noise" that has developed over the last few months. I plugged the tire as a temporary repair and decided to pull the trigger on a new set of tires. Tires matter on any car but on the heavy Tesla.....the importance is multiplied in my opinion. Not playing with safety.....and it's my wife's car 😁
I am having the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect tires installed this Friday in hopes of a quieter ride from the Michelins. Really hate spending the money on tires this early but need the piece of mind and the current tires just had this odd noise I can't really explain well.
Discount Tire had a sale so tires, install, environmental fees, etc. out the door for $1000.00 Worth it to me. Always appreciate people sharing their experiences on this forum. Usually very helpful! Thanks

Look at the tires that come off the car, or at least have DT look at them to possibly get an idea why they were making noise and which tires were making noise. And, I would have the alignment checked.

As for new tires at "just under 20k", as far as I'm concerned, that's a tiny price to pay, for a vehicle with supercar capability.

Reactions: FiteFire
Just replaced the originals after 41k. Still some life left but the RF tire has accelerated wear from bad toe.

Attachments

• PXL_20230126_014857112.jpg
    PXL_20230126_014857112.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Huge difference between tires in California and here in the Northeast.

I won’t go below 4/32”. You don’t wanna drive on that sloppy wet mushy ice/snow BS on tires with low tread. No tread to bite into that makes for a bad day.
I live in the part of California where it snows, we’re a big state. ;)

I do generally agree with what you’re saying though. If winter is coming and they’re getting toward the end of their life I’ll proactively replace. But replacing tires with 4 or 5 32nds left in June is getting silly.

So I scheduled a tire rotation. My last rotation was at about 10K miles, now had 21K miles.
Service person came out and told me that miles tires were worn to 4/32“ in front and 5/32” in rear and recommended new tires.
He said that DOT recommends 2/32” but because Tesla is a heavy car, they recommend to change tires at 4/32”.
I am very busy now with my work and don’t have time to shop around so I agreed and did the tires at the Tesla service center. Took them less than 1 hour of waiting to do the job.
Car rides very smooth.
$295 per tire + $5 tire disposal fee per tire + $200 labor + tax = $1,460.38!
An expensive day.
I got 17,000 on my first set of tires. I let many friends test drive it, and there were a number of ’spirited’ accelerations.

Fundamental design flaws?

You have a crazy heavy vehicle with insane torque. It's the opposite of a Honda Civic. Expect the opposite kind of tire wear.
I wouldn't exactly call the Model 3 a heavy car. The RWD Model 3 weighs 100 lbs more than a 2023 Camry. A Model 3 Performance weighs 150 lbs more than a BMW M3 Competition.

Model 3 high tire wear mostly can be credited to lead foots.

Reactions: srs5694
I got 17,000 on my first set of tires. I let many friends test drive it, and there were a number of ’spirited’ accelerations.

I got 9,000 miles out of my first set of tires. I let many friends, family, and random strangers test drive it... pretty much anyone who asked about it. Every one of them floored it from a standstill at least once (upon my strong recommendation), and I floored it myself on a regular.

I pretty much only just got over driving like a dumb teenager. Not really though... but after putting on the 3rd set of tires in 2 years I had to reevaluate my driving style. 😭

I got 9,000 miles out of my first set of tires. I let many friends, family, and random strangers test drive it... pretty much anyone who asked about it. Every one of them floored it from a standstill at least once (upon my strong recommendation), and I floored it myself on a regular.

I pretty much only just got over driving like a dumb teenager. Not really though... but after putting on the 3rd set of tires in 2 years I had to reevaluate my driving style. 😭
9000 miles! Finally, someone who is using the car right! 👍