Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to charging at home and work, 110v and 220v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4BA9118F-CD3F-4E6D-9459-D1B6B30DCA26.jpeg
0B17BFE8-02C9-4C5E-8430-81B06FD83759.jpeg
Hey guys thanks for all the input so far. As promised here is the multimeter reading 220! And also a pic of the plug.

View attachment 392093 View attachment 392094 Hey guys thanks for all the input so far. As promised here is the multimeter reading 220! And also a pic of the plug.

220 is dangerously low on a 240v circuit and just slightly high on a 208v circuit (not dangerously high, just higher than normal by about 6%).

So it still falls back to is this a 208v or 240v feed?

If 208v off 3 phase, then replace outlet and all is good.

If 240v that is sagging down to 220v or less under load, then the outlet, wire run, breaker are all suspect and need to be checked out before using even one more charging session.

Reactions: Rocky_H
It's disturbing that this is so far off that it's hard to tell whether your building has 208V or 240V service. Here's the thing though:
If you have good solid service from the electric company, it may be a few volts high. But anything within your house, through the wiring runs, connections, etc. can only make it go lower with extra losses, not higher. So I can't possibly see any way that this is a 208V nominal and is somehow getting boosted to 220V. It is almost certain that this is supposed to be 240V, and already has some nasty voltage drop from weak wiring to 220V with no load, and then is getting dragged down even further to 210V when it gets some significant load on it. This sounds like it's already a pretty bad wiring situation.

It's funny--the car has a safety measure that will try to detect for a significant voltage drop from the no load to the loaded charging condition. But I wonder if because it's so low to start with, and low amps, that the extra drop isn't enough to trigger that.

DA6C5CCA-A659-4BEB-A0A2-72F682A185B0.png
DA6C5CCA-A659-4BEB-A0A2-72F682A185B0.png
Ok well here’s some more insight I think. This pic shows that the outlet is coming off of the garage door lift master... I circled the plug which is run up the wall and 10 ft off the ground ( the garage is about 15ft high). which could definitely mean 208v right?

@cmndd is right. If I had access to the panel, (and paying for the circuit?). The engineer in me would check the gauge. If it was 12, I'd up the circuit to a 20A breaker. then I'd change the plug to the correct 6-20. All available anywhere electrical components are sold, including Home Depot. And take a whole 1 hour of labor. You will have done a good deed for the owner.

Or be safe with 6-15 :)
I'd prefer 10 gauge for 6-20 and 8 gauge for 14-30 and 6 gauge for 14-50.

Ok well here’s some more insight I think. This pic shows that the outlet is coming off of the garage door lift master... I circled the plug which is run up the wall and 10 ft off the ground ( the garage is about 15ft high). which could definitely mean 208v right?
It could definitely mean...absolutely anything or nothing. The position of the outlet has no bearing on it at all and doesn't indicate anything about what voltage the building uses.

It could definitely mean...absolutely anything or nothing. The position of the outlet has no bearing on it at all and doesn't indicate anything about what voltage the building uses.

My first thought on seeing it is that someone might have upgraded the garage door circuit to that box from 120v to 208/240v and failed to notice that little 5-15 branched off of it. I would want to see the inside of that box before I relied on that circuit for anything.

My first thought on seeing it is that someone might have upgraded the garage door circuit to that box from 120v to 208/240v and failed to notice that little 5-15 branched off of it. I would want to see the inside of that box before I relied on that circuit for anything.

Agreed! Very possible. Please do not use this circuit. Charge your car from a known, dedicated circuit, either 120 or 240 volt. Have an electrician sort this out for you. The fact that it floats from 220 to 210 under load could mean other service issues (disconnected or bad service neutral) or possibly-- but unlikely--accidentally wired to the stinger leg of a 240 delta service.

Last edited:
My first thought on seeing it is that someone might have upgraded the garage door circuit to that box from 120v to 208/240v and failed to notice that little 5-15 branched off of it.

This seems like the most likely scenario to me given the additional pictures. Didn't realize we were talking about a commercial garage door and it's obviously been replaced with new equipment sometime in the recent past.

Or be safe with 6-15 :)
I'd prefer 10 gauge for 6-20 and 8 gauge for 14-30 and 6 gauge for 14-50.
Thanks
OP, I also just realized that you mentioned you're using an extension cord. If it's the one in that picture, which I assume it is, that could certainly explain a 10v drop under load.
yeah all good points here. ... OK, a shorter cord is better. I’ll def still get 10AWG of the appropriate length and then make sure it’s laid out straight (not bundled/bunched up) so it can keep cool.