Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to charging at home and work, 110v and 220v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
753DC62F-21FA-414F-9E1F-D35FBBE2CBA7.png
257F4806-A756-4FA0-AD8B-1145AA8B3555.png
So I’ve been charging at work at 119v. I just plugged into my garage at home and now the app is telling me I’m getting 210v!? I think that’s a big surprise to me?! Both are regular three prong wall plugs .... what does this mean for my p85dl? I do have the dual charger option FYI. I feel like I hit the jackpot at my apartment’s garage lol.

See pics attached

Last edited:
Wait are you saying there’s a damager of something bad happening? It charged overnight for 8 hour without issue. What’s the worst case scenario?
I don’t think you can damage the car. It’s smart enough to determine the voltage. But you can damage other 120V appliances if you plug them into a 240V or 208V circuit.

More importantly, if your wiring is not done to Code, there might be a danger of causing fire! So you should resolve this ASAP!

Last edited:
92C0760C-34B1-48F9-8ABE-6CBB03DF55B7.jpeg
I don’t think you can damage the car. It’s smart enough to determine the voltage. But you can damage other 120V appliances if you plug them into a 240V or 208V circuit.
Ok cool there is nobody who has access to that plug besides me so should be ok. I was worried for a second that the car could be messed up or I could blow something up/ start a fire (FYI I live in an old ass building)

Last edited:
Jeebus, it is not OK!, At a minimum, that outlet needs to be changed to a Nema 6-15 asap. But, before you do that, assuming its your property (not a condo, right). Have an electrician check the wire gauge. If it is 12 gauge, you can change the breaker to a 20A breaker and make the plug a Nema 6-20. Then you can get the appropriate dongle for your charger and up your rate 50%. Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Jeebus, it is not OK!, At a minimum, that outlet needs to be changed to a Nema 6-15 asap. But, before you do that, assuming its your property (not a condo, right). Have an electrician check the wire gauge. If it is 12 gauge, you can change the breaker to a 20A breaker and make the plug a Nema 6-20. Then you can get the appropriate dongle for your charger and up your rate 50%. Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
OK cool thanks. It’s a rent controlled apartment in California. The building manager is kind of a dicK, but from what I’ve been reading with California law I should be well within my rights to hire an electrician to fix all of this. Source: Bill Text - AB-1796 Rental property: electric vehicle charging stations.

So if I double it I will get 14 mph charge, that would be nice!

View attachment 391838
Ok cool there is nobody who has access to that plug besides me so should be ok. I was worried for a second that the car could be messed up or I could blow something up/ start a fire (FYI I live in an old ass building)

If that's a 208v circuit then 210v means it's good and very little to no chance of a fire. If that's a 240v circuit and you are seeing 210v on it that means it's bad and yes there is a risk of a fire. A very high risk, like don't use it again until it's physically corrected and you see higher than 228v at the outlet.

You need to know if the service coming into the building is 208v or 240v to have a reasonable assurance that you are in the right ballpark at the outlet.

This is what it looks like inside the wall if you stop the fire before it burns down the house.

http://i57.tinypic.com/335eb9e.jpg

That came from someone charging an EV on 120v with improper wiring / outlet and luckily the breaker tripped before it turned into open flames, they weren't hurt.

Just ever so slightly different conditions and that house would have burned down.

Last edited:
OK cool thanks. It’s a rent controlled apartment in California. The building manager is kind of a dicK

It is a safety hazard. The owner is liable and responsible for fixing it

I’d be prepared for the owner’s “fix” to be just shutting the thing off.

It’s definitely not to code, of course. But I think the safety concerns are overblown. Me? I’d keep my mouth shut and charge away.

Reactions: tubaprde
I’d be prepared for the owner’s “fix” to be just shutting the thing off.

It’s definitely not to code, of course. But I think the safety concerns are overblown. Me? I’d keep my mouth shut and charge away.

@cmndd is right. If I had access to the panel, (and paying for the circuit?). The engineer in me would check the gauge. If it was 12, I'd up the circuit to a 20A breaker. then I'd change the plug to the correct 6-20. All available anywhere electrical components are sold, including Home Depot. And take a whole 1 hour of labor. You will have done a good deed for the owner.