Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New (to me) 2017 Model S 90D. Some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, Just picked up my new car today. My first Tesla :). Very happy, but have some questions.

1. There was no tow hook in the frunk and I cant find anywhere to plug one in anyway. Does this car come with one?
2. What is the recommended break-down service (just thinking ahead JIC)?
3. Is the Zappi charger OK for this car?

I'm sure there will be more questions to come...

Spanish

Hi all, Just picked up my new car today. My first Tesla :). Very happy, but have some questions.

1. There was no tow hook in the frunk and I cant find anywhere to plug one in anyway. Does this car come with one?

Yes, the car should be supplied with a tow-hook. I'm sure you can order one from Tesla as it will be a must-have if you have a car breakdown

Apart from Tesla roadside service, I have an AA membership as a backup

I'm using podpoint for my MS and it's working great

Spanish

On some MS its in the frunk but you have to pull the liner away. I guess if its an older car the manual might not be up to date, or rather reflect the older model.

If its the prefacelift from memory you take off the whole centre oval- I'm sure YouTube might help

I've used green flag too, and a zappi would be fine.

Spanish

In my 2017 75D, the tow hook is in the flat red zipped package along with the warning triangle and some first aid stuff. I went to the car just now to check this but also found half inch of standing water in a corner of the lower trunk compartment. Grrr! Yet another SC trip.

Hi all,

Many thanks for the helpful answers. Actually for 2) I found an old thread that recommended AutoAid, saying they will even flatbed your car to a tyre fitting centre. As for 1), if the car doesn't come with one, how do they possible get it onto the flatbed if i'm not able to drive it on - again I always plan for the worse so this is just me being prepared :rolleyes:. Strange that the PDB33's 75D came with one, but my Dec 2017 does not.

Anyway just giving the car a thorough clean and discovering those problems that are always missed when you first see the car.

IMG_20210224_165612.jpg

Hi all,

Many thanks for the helpful answers. Actually for 2) I found an old thread that recommended AutoAid, saying they will even flatbed your car to a tyre fitting centre. As for 1), if the car doesn't come with one, how do they possible get it onto the flatbed if i'm not able to drive it on - again I always plan for the worse so this is just me being prepared :rolleyes:. Strange that the PDB33's 75D came with one, but my Dec 2017 does not.

Anyway just giving the car a thorough clean and discovering those problems that are always missed when you first see the car.

View attachment 640228
AFAIK the tow eye is supplied with the car. Was your car purchased from Tesla or elsewhere? If elsewhere, that's probably where the tow eye is. Mine was essential on the two (or was it four, I forget....) occasions that the car became undriveable and had to be towed onto a flat-bed truck for service.

On page 192 of the Owners Manual (April 2020 version), the instructions for pulling onto a flat-bed truck begin with (1) locate the tow eye (!). (2) describes how to remove the tow socket cover just to left of the vent below the left side headlight. Flat-bed drivers that I have encountered have all known this.