Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New update 2021.44.25 adds customizable app launcher like Model S refresh plus other major upgrades to system.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started having problems when getting out of the car. One time I put it in park and we unbuckled the seat belts but the seat belt warnings stayed on as if it didn't know we were in park. It used to know that you were getting out. And then last night I got out of the car and it didn't shut down. The screen stayed on and I could see it from inside my house. I had to get back in and put it in drive and then back in park to go through the whole process.

I agree that all of the menu items are just too difficult to navigate when you are on the road. Yea, we get used to changes on our phones and computer software, but this is different because you need to be able to do these things while your eyes are still on the road. Burying all these items within sub-menus goes against the promise, one touch on the screen. All the driving functions should be up front, put the toys and games 3 deep into the menu system, or get rid of them altogether. Everything needs to be much easier to use. And don't tell me to use voice commands, half the time they don't work.

I'll add that I'm 66 years old but did software all my life so computer interfaces don't scare me. But as others have alluded to, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. I drive without glasses but then can't see the screen. Or I put glasses on to drive, I do have a weak prescription for that, but then get annoyed by the glare. I never had this problem with tactile buttons everywhere. I'm just looking at that screen too much while I'm driving now and that was one reason my wife was against getting the car, although she likes driving it now but wants all of the controls front and center.

Last edited:
I started having problems when getting out of the car. One time I put it in park and we unbuckled the seat belts but the seat belt warnings stayed on as if it didn't know we were in park. It used to know that you were getting out. And then last night I got out of the car and it didn't shut down. The screen stayed on and I could see it from inside my house. I had to get back in and put it in drive and then back in park to go through the whole process.

I agree that all of the menu items are just too difficult to navigate when you are on the road. Yea, we get used to changes on our phones and computer software, but this is different because you need to be able to do these things while your eyes are still on the road. Burying all these items within sub-menus goes against the promise, one touch on the screen. All the driving functions should be up front, put the toys and games 3 deep into the menu system, or get rid of them altogether. Everything needs to be much easier to use. And don't tell me to use voice commands, half the time they don't work.

I'll add that I'm 66 years old but did software all my life so computer interfaces don't scare me. But as others have alluded to, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. I drive without glasses but then can't see the screen. Or I put glasses on to drive, I do have a weak prescription for that, but then get annoyed by the glare. I never had this problem with tactile buttons everywhere. I'm just looking at that screen too much while I'm driving now and that was one reason my wife was against getting the car, although she likes driving it now but wants all of the controls front and center.
Try rebooting the car again. Sounds like a glitch (the part about not shutting down).

My tesla model 3 is not shutting down now after the most recent software update. When I leave the car the touchscreen, music, and ac stay on. I have checked I dont have any of the AC leave modes on. I tried to power down using the controls but when I close the door everything turns back on.

After a few days with V11, I give it a solid MEH.. All I wanted for Xmas was a resizable left side of the screen. What I got was removal of lots of quick access options, in exchange for what seems like a very modal design. Why did they remove the cards? Honestly, it wasn't critical that I could see the tire pressure, or historical energy usage, but what did we gain by moving it? Why only 4 apps? I really miss the swipe up, swipe down on the old audio icon. I found it a lot easier to anchor my thumb on the edge of the screen, than to swipe on the player itself. I tried the blind spot camera, maybe I need more time to get used to it, but its a lot to take in when I just need to know if there is a car there(and why oh why is it behind my right wrist?). Turned it off. My decision, others may like it and I hope it prevents accidents.
Tesla software always seems like it's so busy getting somewhere, it's never anywhere. Is this the end of the world, no, but it is disappointing.

I really, really, really would like to turn off the visualizations (which don't serve any useful function) and get that 40% of the screen back for real stuff.

Way back in 2013, when I got my first MS, you could have two apps open at once, position them (top or bottom), or have a single full screen. That was much more useful than what we have now :(

Reading all the issues, I’m glad I’ve skipped the updates on both of my cars. Looks like I’ll sit on it for a while.

FWIW, the more I drive on the new firmware the more I like it. For sure I am in a very small minority of “switchers” who didn’t like it at all initially but have since changed their mind.. still for the most part I am really digging most of the changes and I don’t think I would go back now even if I could.

After a few days with V11, I give it a solid MEH.. All I wanted for Xmas was a resizable left side of the screen. What I got was removal of lots of quick access options, in exchange for what seems like a very modal design. Why did they remove the cards? Honestly, it wasn't critical that I could see the tire pressure, or historical energy usage, but what did we gain by moving it? Why only 4 apps? I really miss the swipe up, swipe down on the old audio icon. I found it a lot easier to anchor my thumb on the edge of the screen, than to swipe on the player itself. I tried the blind spot camera, maybe I need more time to get used to it, but its a lot to take in when I just need to know if there is a car there(and why oh why is it behind my right wrist?). Turned it off. My decision, others may like it and I hope it prevents accidents.
Tesla software always seems like it's so busy getting somewhere, it's never anywhere. Is this the end of the world, no, but it is disappointing.

Nailed it. A few cool things. A lot of “doesn’t do anything but why, because now I have to learn a new thing for no real benefit” and a bunch of “this is really stupid and A Step backwards”

Have driven on it some more. This update shows some promise, but many things remain stupid.

1. Separation of speed limit / speedometer at top of screen; good. Larger (?) speedo; good.
2. Thinner fonts overall? Bad
3. Card for trips and wipers gone; dumb. Why? You literally get nothing other than a slightly larger visualization.
4. Notifcations box smaller and in the bottom left corner; REALLY dumb.
5. Seat belt display smaller; dumb. Harder to turn the alerts off due to dogs / child seats now.
6. Nav in bottom left corner when the main screen is covered? Ok, this is REALLY stupid. I mean, why? It was fine where it was before.
7. New HVAC controls? Don't bother me that much. I leave the HVAC in Auto 98% of the time and it works fine. Having to push an extra button for seat heaters? I guess I don't care that much since I'm in the South.
8. Configurable apps switcher is nice. But why 4? And why have a "recent apps" slot? Stupid. There's more room. Give us at least 6 slots, and drop the recent apps.
9. Losing the wifi, cell status and homelink from the top of the screen? DUMB. Hey guys, cell coverage is not ubiquitous.
10. The weird way to re-size the audio page? Change for sake of change. Definitely does not help anything but makes it far more annoying to use.
11. The teeny-tiny bar indicating music progress? Awful. How can you even see that?
12. The progress bar for scrolling to music is much smoother now, nice.
13. I noticed that my podcasts are loading faster, less lag, and there's no issues I had before where if I started a podcast and tried to skip past the intro, I would run into the buffer and it would change to the previous podcast.
14. Lane change signals: THANK GOD they finally did this. Awesome. Even if, you know, you can barely see them at night. And the window is way too low. Cover the visualization for all I care!

Overall, a few nice things, mostly change for the sake of change, and a few definite steps back.

<<SIGH>>

Last edited:
After using this for hundreds of miles now, having waypoints (and the ability to pick and choose superchargers!) is worth all of the hassle. A little annoyed the cards are gone, but two cars ago tire pressure had to be monitored by a funny little pen like thing that a stick would pop out of. Very hard to do while driving!

Reactions: malou
My main issue isn’t the updated graphical interface, it’s the user experience and functional design. I like the customizable menu and some of the new design elements. However, I really don’t like how they make it more difficult to perform important and/or safety related functions, such as windshield defroster, dash cam, or tire pressure monitoring. I don’t understand why browser can be added as a shortcut in the customizable menu whereas defroster and driver profile cannot? Also, functionally, why should a tap on the wiper button on the left stalk cancel the blind spot camera, especially knowing their auto wiper function isn’t very robust. I think it’s fair to say that these are items that make people frustrated, not necessary just the fact that the interface looks different.
This is well said. Safety decreases truly translates to someone losing life or limb given enough hours driving and enough drivers.

Also not allowing the defrost or seat heater icon be manually added (and the browser can be, lol, yeah) is very much a slap in the face. I am sure they are using the philosophy of “force them to adapt, our way is better” at least to test if people do adjust. Enough complaints and they might give that function back to us.

My prediction is

1. Eventually they’ll get in trouble from government safety types again and put wipers back to an option at the bottom ribbon. Then they might as well add other things back as options.

2. Dashcam/profile buttons will return to the top. Look at the fsd beta people… their buttons on the top slide when the maximize the fsd screen. No doubt the UI folks ran out of time again so maybe they removed our top buttons temporarily/in the same of simplification.

3. Tire pressure and trip and energy cards will return to the bottom left. Again, temporary removal due to full screen fsd beta mode.

Count me in as one of the overall disappointed. Was happy to finally have the phone app access the car's video. My main gripe with the update is how poorly implemented the left side of the screen is (also not a fan of burying some of the functions - like the seat warmer and tire pressure). In my MYP I drive with the cameras on all the time, so if I use navigation and happen to be on the phone, there goes my navigation directions, now that they are at the bottom where they get covered/replaced by the phone popup. In fact, I believe some of the other pop ups on the left even clip the car animation (so sloppy). If they would put the navigation back to the top and move up the car animation to more centre of the screen, at least it would solve those issues for me. I am amazed at how badly the left side of the screen is implemented overall (and for my use case) - alot of real estate seemingly wasted on the car animation. I feel like this update needs a quick revision and was put out too haphazardly.

3. Card for trips and wipers gone;
5. Seat belt display smaller; dumb. Harder to turn the alerts off due to dogs / child seats now.
6. Nav in bottom left corner when the main screen is covered?
7. New HVAC controls? Don't bother me that much. I
8. Configurable apps switcher is nice. But why 4? And why have a "recent apps" slot? Stupid. There's more room. Give us at least 6 slots, and drop the recent apps.
9. Losing the wifi, cell status and homelink from the top of the screen? DUMB. Hey guys, cell coverage is not ubiquitous.
10. The weird way to re-size the audio page? Change for sake of change. Definitely does not help anything but makes it far more annoying to use.
11. The teeny-tiny bar indicating music progress? Awful. How can you even see that?
13. I noticed that my podcasts are loading faster, less lag, and
Top bar:
Losing cell and wifi at the top, like profiles, has got to also be related to the full screen fsd beta situation.

HVAC:
I am in the sotuh also, but that’s why I am even more on manual HVAC controls especially during Oct-April. Humidity will condense on those AC coils and cause that funk smell to come back if I don’t really watch it. So I play a lot of games with the AC. Avoiding outside (leave on recirculate) during rain. Avoid using AC coils when it is below 60 outside, I just use the fan (AC off) and avoid water condensing entirely. May through Sept I am set at 71 pretty much all the time. The times of the year when it is moderate I set it to 65 some mornings to get the AC to kick on then move it to 68-69. I accidentally hit heat seaters regularly, so glad they are hidden, but I feel for cold weather people.

Configurable apps switcher:
Agree 100% reagrding let me put more on there.

#10, music resizer, yeah it bothers me a lot. Better before. Losing the tap hold drag to resize is my biggest pain point. I lean my seat back, so anything at the top right of the screen is unreachable without leaning way forward off my seat, so I miss controlling it easily from the bottom left.

#13, less laggy podcasts? Wonder what they did because I notice more lag on the backup camera (had it literally freeze for two seconds while backing up, read very bad. And I get lag on the phone screen sometimes really badly, sometimes just so so.

Have driven on it some more. This update shows some promise, but many things remain stupid.

1. Separation of speed limit / speedometer at top of screen; good. Larger (?) speedo; good.
3. Card for trips and wipers gone; dumb. Why? You literally get nothing other than a slightly larger visualization.
4. Notifcations box smaller and in the bottom left corner; REALLY dumb.
6. Nav in bottom left corner when the main screen is covered? Ok, this is REALLY stupid. I mean, why? It was fine where it was before.
7. New HVAC controls? Don't bother me that much. I leave the HVAC in Auto 98% of the time and it works fine. Having to push an extra button for seat heaters? I guess I don't care that much since I'm in the South.
13. I noticed that my podcasts are loading faster, less lag, and there's no issues I had before where if I started a podcast and tried to skip past the intro, I would run into the buffer and it would change to the previous podcast.
14. Lane change signals: THANK GOD they finally did this. Awesome. Even if, you know, you can barely see them at night. And the window is way too low. Cover the visualization for all I care!

Overall, a few nice things, mostly change for the sake of change, and a few definite steps back.

<<SIGH>>

Thought of some more:

15. Not showing the charge at arrival in the navigation small box? Having to scroll down to the bottom of the turn list? Dumb. Like, why did you remove this?
16. Following up on that....did the navigation box get bigger, covering more map, yet shows less information? Or am I imagining that?
17. Not being able to tap the icon to record a dashcam snippet on the main screen ? DUMB. Not being able to see if you dash cam is recording without navigating into a submenu? Even dumber.

Just...too many things moved for the sake of moving, without any improvements.

Oh well.

I just installed 2021.44.25 and there is one thing I am happy with, and several I don't like.

I like being able to add waypoints and easily re-order them. That said:

The odometer cards disappearing from the bottom of the driving visualization panel is a big gripe for me. Even worse, is that the trip odometers no longer display 1/10s of a mile. I want my 1/10s back! I don't like having the odometers cover the navigation panel. I used the trip odos all the time.

The tire pressure panel is not as big a deal to me. I would check it, then go back to the odo cards.

I also am not happy about the wiper button disappearing, and having to access wiper controls through the button on the stalk or a menu.

Fan speed control - not so good.

I see one real improvement and several annoying digressions.

If I could go back to my previous software version, I definitely would.
I really think the fan speed layout is a step in the right direction, but it just needs to either be much bigger or have defined graduations because switching between say fan 2 to fan 3 is too finicky, but switching from 1 to 10 is instant and simple. Look at Polestar’s … that seems to be where they got the whole idea, but Polestar did it better.

I haven’t tried waypoints yet, seems like everybody likes them… will be great on vacation trips.

Wipers need to come back.

Like the video from phone, voice projection for fun party tricks, and the more responsive Spotify app.

Last edited:
15. Not showing the charge at arrival in the navigation small box? Having to scroll down to the bottom of the turn list? Dumb. Like, why did you remove this?
16. Following up on that....did the navigation box get bigger, covering more map, yet shows less information? Or am I imagining that?
Right. The nav final charge is just about the only reason I use nav, and they need to display it clearly in every instance.

Reactions: Transformer
I was thinking the same thing. lol. How many times during a drive do people check tire pressure? It's has automatic monitoring and warns you if it's low. There's no reason to check it that often.
Once I get it right, I check tires less, but you should always check it before pulling out of the driveway or parking lot. Getting notified halfway to work isn’t fun, but seeing you have a leak before you are on the road is invaluable.

Turning on defrosters takes too many steps? It's literally two very intuitive pushes: AC -> Defroster of choice. What am I missing? ...and why would you have to do it quickly? Frosting and fogging is gradual. Does Mr. Freeze appear outside randomly?

I do agree that the notifications should be more eye level.
Ice isn’t a sudden concern, but fogging is. Hot humid climates can see the front windshield fog in less than 2 seconds when conditions are humid, going to almost zero visibility. I’m no expert, but I notice it when

1. driving near a body of water in 50-65 degree weather
2. turning on climate control after the car is sitting for a while and the interior is warm and humid, but the sun is going down and cooling things off. semi-rare but when it happens OMG.
3. when you get rain and your windshield is the wrong temperature. We get a lot of sudden downpours.
4. going to lower elevation suddenly (near water only?)

They probably assume you leave the AC on auto always, which reduces these problems… but I use manual mode a lot when it is cool outside or rainy.

Once I get it right, I check tires less, but you should always check it before pulling out of the driveway or parking lot. Getting notified halfway to work isn’t fun, but seeing you have a leak before you are on the road is invaluable.
Also, it’s a good idea to have a quick check in case the car hits debris or big pothole to make sure the tires are ok.