Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Zealand Road Trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took a trip last January from Christchurch to Auckland and back, got across the Cook Straight just before the Ferries broke down. Traveled up through Whanganui and Taumarunui to Hamilton and came back through Taupo.
Ended up at just over 2500kms and used 155wh/km. I have a model 3 performance which went brilliantly, only needed one reset on the steering wheel buttons due to the screen locking up.
There was a que at the Taupo supercharger but no problems charging apart from that, free charging at our hotel in Wellington and Auckland made things easier.
I still have some credit on an open loop app that I needed to get for a top up in Otorohanga which I dont think I will ever use.

Took the Model 3P to Raglan from Auckland.
I put it in Chill Mode (I never do this hence lifetime consumption of 180 Wh/km) and was rewarded with 155!
Put it back in Performance Mode on the way back: 172 Wh/km so shows it really is quite different never mind that you think you are driving the same.
The Nav thought we should stretch to Silvia Park going North on the Sunday, rather than Hamilton.
But that would've taken SOC to under 20% which I don't do.
Should have listened: first experience of stacking up at a charger, 4 stalls occupied, and 3 Teslas waiting!
So the honeymoon is over, I guess the next blow will be RUC.
Ah well it was a great 3 years.

I put it in Chill Mode (I never do this hence lifetime consumption of 180 Wh/km) and was rewarded with 155!
Put it back in Performance Mode on the way back: 172 Wh/km so shows it really is quite different never mind that you think you are driving the same.
The Nav thought we should stretch to Silvia Park going North on the Sunday, rather than Hamilton.
Should have listened: first experience of stacking up at a charger, 4 stalls occupied, and 3 Teslas waiting!
Cambridge BP have fast charger... you will rarely find many there... 2 spots. I use that instead of Hamilton if need top-up in-between not on any common lists - sadly.

Good to know, thanks.
Come to think of it, there's a fast charger in Raglan itself!
It wanted me to download an app, I'm too lazy to learn everybody's particular brand of charger - it's why I have a Tesla!
I know... but chargenet is kind of part and parcel with EV, even when have Tesla.
for some reason BP still thinks like BP.... Z is better than that, as they simply have Chargenet chargers.

No adapter for current Tesla cars, they use CCS2 natively. The pain in the ass is having to download and install the app for every different charge network, and register and setup card payments.
That's the issue with old adopting new... gas companies now want to become charging company and use same monopoly they had before... impossible, but no one can stop them trying - as they have money, real-estate, facilities, and chargers...

Reactions: Ecoli
We have consistently had my wife's 2018 set a chill mode and have been happy with the results

Had a quick trip over the weekend from CH CH down to Invercargill then back through Queenstown, Cromwell and home. 3 days 1398kms @185Wh/km in a M3P, as soon as you get away from the superchargers it becomes a real pain. The Chargenet charger in Invercargill was only giving 24kW so had to move to Winton just to get 50kW. Superchargers in Queenstown and Omarama worked perfectly.

Took our M3 down to New Plymouth late Oct, left with 100% charge and arrived with about 20% did some running around NP and then charged at the Tesla Charger with 8% and got 170 charge rate. Next day went down to Hawera and wanted to try out the Z Stratford charger but run out of time as we needed to be back in NP for a function. Topped up at Tesla again and headed home on Sunday, did a quick top up at Z Te Kuiti $15.50 with a 103 charge rate.
Total charge cost: $84.38 (No accommodation with chargers available)
Traveled 882km 143Wh/km (higher than the cars lifetime average of 130Wh/km with 62,000km)

Reactions: Ecoli and Audietron
Not a road trip - but a whole bunch!

Ticked over 100,000kms in just over 3 years - ours is a Sept 2020 delivery.

149 wh/km lifetime
On the 3rd set of tyres now

Wipers and air filter have been the only maintenance besides the well known warranty fixes.

Efficiency seems to have been worse since we swapped to Conti MaxContact 6 as you can see in the latest trip meter, before that was 141 wh/km.

Would buy again.

Attachments

• IMG_9122.jpeg
    IMG_9122.jpeg
    736.7 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Miggy