Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newb Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 2013 Model S from a relative. I apologize in advance for asking some probably pretty repetitive and newbie questions, but I tried searching and answers were confusing, dated, or not related to my car. So, I figured I could ask them here.

1. Charge loss - there have been lots of topics on this, but given my current charging situation at home, I often leave the car overnight or over two nights not charging. I lose anywhere from 5-7 miles per day. This is recently in 70 degree weather on average (ie, not the dead of a New England winter). I read a bunch of older forums on vampire loss, but it's not as bad as it used to be I guess. Still seems like a lot though.

2. Thoughts on winter driving - older model, so it's not D. I've read lots of topics that says the Model S is great in snow, but I do live in New England and coming from an AWD ICE. Should I at least consider snow tires (which I didn't do on my old car, but it had AWD).

3. Apps - I only have two apps (Maps and Calendar). I see lots of posts for Slacker and Spotify, but not sure if my car is too old or if I'm in the wrong region. Can I get Spotify?

Thank you all for indulging me. Looking forward to many years enjoying this car.

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 2013 Model S from a relative. I apologize in advance for asking some probably pretty repetitive and newbie questions, but I tried searching and answers were confusing, dated, or not related to my car. So, I figured I could ask them here.

1. Charge loss - there have been lots of topics on this, but given my current charging situation at home, I often leave the car overnight or over two nights not charging. I lose anywhere from 5-7 miles per day. This is recently in 70 degree weather on average (ie, not the dead of a New England winter). I read a bunch of older forums on vampire loss, but it's not as bad as it used to be I guess. Still seems like a lot though.

2. Thoughts on winter driving - older model, so it's not D. I've read lots of topics that says the Model S is great in snow, but I do live in New England and coming from an AWD ICE. Should I at least consider snow tires (which I didn't do on my old car, but it had AWD).

3. Apps - I only have two apps (Maps and Calendar). I see lots of posts for Slacker and Spotify, but not sure if my car is too old or if I'm in the wrong region. Can I get Spotify?

Thank you all for indulging me. Looking forward to many years enjoying this car.

1. Charge nightly (Recommended in the manual). 5-7 isn't unheard of. I am closer to 3-5. (2016 MX)
2. I have the all season tires (Northern Colorado), and they work great. The X is dual motors, but the tires are flawless. My 3 I decide against the AWD.
3. Spotify is not in the US (in the Teslas). Slacker is the streaming radio section of the audio controls. I don't know if that section is in your year or not.

Hopefully that helps. I'm not one to get mad about "repetitive" questions. Some are. YMMV.

Reactions: Don TLR
1. It will look like a lot of loss the first night. 3-5 miles might be expected. But if you're leaving it for several days, it won't keep up losing at that pace. After the first day of inactivity, it goes into a lower power sleep mode, and I think there is a second deeper sleep after 48 hours. So for the long term of several days or a few weeks, it's somewhere around 1% per day, which is more like 2 miles.

If you're concerned with that, here are things you can do to keep it lower power and less drain: Don't keep waiting it up by checking on it with the mobile app!! Use the settings of letting it go into low power mode, and this one is more minor, but you can turn off "Always connected". That just makes it more responsive to the mobile app. And you can turn off the cabin overheat protection, so it doesn't keep cooling the cabin if it's getting hot during the day.

2. Yeah, you'll probably want snow tires.

3. Slacker is what you get on the U.S. cars. It's already in there in the main music application that you see, so it may not exactly be listed as an "app" in the controls screen. You can just browse through the internet radio stations or search for songs and artists and start some custom stations by voice search or typing. All of that is Slacker.