Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Question/s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sometimes you have to make do with ... parking sensors

Passengers seem impressed that central screen shows "inches clearance" and "proximity map contours" rather than just beeping faster, but I don't know if that exists in other cars? Certainly not in the cheap ones I've owned previously!

pedestrian detection

I seriously hope that this becomes a thing and Governments ditch the idea of having white-noise on all EVs when below 20 MPH. Otherwise the noise of traffic slowly approaching at intersections / roundabout is going to be dreadful.

Thinking about signing up with Ubitricity for the lamp post chargers. Does anyone have any experience with this? ubitricity MobileCharging system - charging solutions

I’ve just asked someone who has used it from launch and gives it a big thumbs up. 100% reliable and ‘plug and charge’.

The only issue is you obviously can’t reserve a lamp post as this would include a parking spot.

I’ve just asked someone who has used it from launch and gives it a big thumbs up. 100% reliable and ‘plug and charge’.

The only issue is you obviously can’t reserve a lamp post as this would include a parking spot

That's great to know! I think they should prioritise the ones on the paid parking spaces in order to prevent people from parking unnecessarily. I have seen a couple just down the road but one is on a residents bay and is usually "Iced" , hey I'm getting familiar with the EV lingo, although I have a feeling I will be hating this word in the coming few weeks!

Last edited:
Reactions: firewire
Hi firewire,
glad to see you are getting into the whole Tesla thing, as I said before still loving it, they are quiet and quick.
Just to clarify as I mentioned before , Westminster parking is NOT free, you have to pay for 10 mins, otherwise you will get ticketed. So I would say cheap, not free. Congestion charge, you will need to make sure it is registered, £10. I think this is yearly ( still in my first year ) , which is great value and no worrying about emission zones. Road tax, whilst technically free, because the car is valued over 40k, it is £310 yearly. If you buy new, I think this is still applicable , the first year is covered within the Tesla on the road price.
Being near a Chelsea, if you shop at the Sainsbury’s by Wandsworth bridge they have podpoint charging. So charging whilst you shop for free, could get you 30 ish miles.
Let us know what you get.
RB

If they are ICED in central London they will get a penalty ticket. BTW did you know you get 4 hours free parking in normal parking bays anywhere in Westminster? Also obviously no congestion charge or road tax. You can check the local chargers here: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

I would also suggest it's worth getting a source london card ( sourcelondon.net ) as you can pre-book parking bays through the app/web.

Thanks for the tips LovEV. I think with the lamp post chargers they can be on residents bay as well as paid parking. I will double check this since it's in the next street. Yes, I already have the PlugShare app on my phone as well as Zap-Map. Good idea about the sourcelondon as I will definitely be signing up once I get the car. I'm trying to find a decent PPF service as I'm aware of the reckless drivers here in London but then don't want to spend crazy amount since I'm not intending to keep the car long term. I don't think ceramic coating will help with scrapes caused by morons trying to squeeze through narrow streets.

Westminster parking is NOT free, you have to pay for 10 mins, otherwise you will get ticketed. So I would say cheap, not free. Congestion charge, you will need to make sure it is registered, £10
Absolutely correct, apologies I forgot to add this in. Make sure you buy a 10p ticket then 4 hours are "free". Congestion charge is £10 a year to register and you will have to pay "luxury car tax" of £310

For PPF get quotes from: www.topazdetailing.com and www.mintcondition-uk.com . Just another warning on PPF or wraps, I believe you have to declare full wraps to you insurance company and some don't insure them at all. Perhaps just get partial PPF the front bonnet, bumper, wind mirrors and rear bumper.

Last edited:
Just to clarify as I mentioned before , Westminster parking is NOT free, you have to pay for 10 mins, otherwise you will get ticketed. So I would say cheap, not free. Congestion charge, you will need to make sure it is registered, £10. I think this is yearly ( still in my first year ) , which is great value and no worrying about emission zones. Road tax, whilst technically free, because the car is valued over 40k, it is £310 yearly. If you buy new, I think this is still applicable , the first year is covered within the Tesla on the road price.
Being near a Chelsea, if you shop at the Sainsbury’s by Wandsworth bridge they have podpoint charging. So charging whilst you shop for free, could get you 30 ish miles.
Let us know what you get.

Thanks for the info RB72, yes, the sales guy at Tesla did mention paying for 10 mins and then 4 hour free parking. The guy said the £310 luxury tax is free for the 1st year and then £310 for the following 5 years and then zero after that. That would help those that intend to keep the Tesla long term. I have a feeling a lot of Model 3 would come under the luxury tax if buyers choose upgrades, but just a guess!

Yes, I do sometimes visit the Wandsworth Sainsburys sometimes and it's good to know I can charge the car there. :) I'm getting a MS 75D Deep Blue Metallic with cream/oak interior.

I don't think ceramic coating will help with scrapes caused by morons trying to squeeze through narrow streets.

Correct, ceramic coating is really just a semi-permanent alternative to waxing. Make cleaning a lot easier and protects against dirt and grime, but not physical contact. A good compromise for you may be ceramic coating (roughly £500) plus PPF on the bumpers. Might want to consider wheel rim gators for kerb protection too - Tesla rims are very exposed to kerb damage.

Passengers seem impressed that central screen shows "inches clearance" and "proximity map contours" rather than just beeping faster, but I don't know if that exists in other cars? Certainly not in the cheap ones I've owned previously!

The contour mapping is pretty standard these days on top end BMWs, Audis, Volvos etc. Can't remember if they show distance too, but the Audi ones actually prevent you from bumping into things, which is something I wish Tesla would implement too. The Tesla sensors I would say are par for the course in this segment and the rear view camera is probably the best, but only because of the large screen! Just needs a 360 surround view and auto-braking when manoeuvring to be perfect. Auto-parking obviously auto-brakes on approach to objects, so can't be hard to implement for manual parking.

Nice choice in the blue, any delivery date yet ?
Here is my referral if you haven’t got one or two already

lol got quite a few referrals to be honest. How do they work i.e do you get some major discounts on brand new cars? Originally I was thinking of referring Bjorn Nyland as watching his videos really pushed me towards buying a Tesla. But I think he probably already has a ton of referrals because of his huge following. I got a call from Tesla and they gave me a date of 28th which is next Friday. I think the car has already been registered early September according to the sales guy.

Quick question. How many different charge point cards do I need if travelling let's say to Scotland and in case I'm not near a supercharger? Seems like there's a ton of them and can make your wallet look like a deck of playing cards! :D

The furthest north I have been so far is Carlisle / Gretna green, there is a super charger right there, I used superchargers all the way up, Charnock Richard is a nice new one, plenty of bays, separated off towards the hotel rather than the services.

I travelled to Ireland for a wedding, recommend using the Sarn supercharger to top right up either way. For in Ireland, Contact ESB for you free card ( they will ask for scans of docs for your car )these guys really helpful. Charging was free and plenty of their chargers too. Type 2.

That’s all I have, so just the card for Ireland. Although some people recommend a Chademo adapter and using the eco tricity points available at most service stations. I haven’t needed to go this route yet.

Of course you can still charge off a mains socket, get 5 or 6 miles per hour, so 50 ish miles overnight was useful at a rental cottage in the Lake District.

It just takes a bit more planning as to were you stop for a bite to eat and comfort break.
A better route planner is useful.

Congestion charge, you will need to make sure it is registered, £10. I think this is yearly

Yes.

I don't think they send you a reminder, the only COMMs I've had is "you annual exemption has expired" so I have to go through all the palaver of providing V5 etc. each time ...

Nuts to have to pay £10 to then be free. When they issue penalty notices they could just discover that the Reg No is EV and ignore it (add it to their list of ignored numbers)

Perhaps just get partial PPF the front ...

its an option, of course, but is basically only for stone chips. Bird Poo, Key-draggers and hedge-snuggling need the full wrap

How do they work i.e do you get some major discounts on brand new cars?

The referral gift is built into the price, of course, so its a gift from you to the person whose referral code you use of £500 or more (the entry level referral gift is about that price, later on a set of alloy wheels and rubber is a fair bit more ...

I think Bjorn is a reasonable candidate - he's given up his day job to be a full time YouTuber, and his offroading video cost him many thousands of Pounds/Dollars/Euros in repairs ... also, the freebies he has had attract a 50% Income Tax penalty in Norway, so they aren't exactly "free" to him, so he needs 2x as many in order to get to level playing field of one-to--sell and one-to-keep. His referrals have netted him a free (I think?) Roadster II ... so that's at a Tax cost to him of $125K :(

Referral code gets the Buyer "some swag". Its varied over the years from a credit on accessories, unlimited Supercharging for the life of the car, to "ownership period", to (now) £100 in the first year. I do 27,000 miles a year, Supercharge on about 2 days a month, that accounts for about 12% of my mileage, and compared to home-charging saves me less than £100 a year ... whilst I understand the psyche of "free" its not going to make any tangible difference to someone who can afford a £100K car :) (and "only charging at superchargers" doesn't work because charge-speed reduces on cars that do excessive amounts of DC charging, to preserve the battery)

Posting a referral code in signature or messages here is not permitted AFAIK (except for the one specific thread on Referral Codes). There is a field for them on the Personal Info page.

How many different charge point cards do I need if travelling let's say to Scotland and in case I'm not near a supercharger?

Assuming you don't need any to get there (because you go up a Motorway that has Superchargers) then in the case of Scotland Charge-Your-Card should do the trick as AFAIK its the main Scottish one, and they have done deals with other companies to be somewhat universal. I've used it in York and Milton Keynes (either of which were specifically CYC sites)

Other than that you need a card for the various providers, and when Government money was originally made available that was done locally, so in each area there may well be a different Supplier. And you won't need a charge until you are 200 miles away from home ... so unless you go to the same area all the time you might well need several.

Downside is that you really need to have got them before leaving home. Iv'e managed with only APPs, no cards/RFIDs. If the APP won't work (no signal etc.) I have just phoned them and they've initiated the charge (or failed to do so, but not because I didn't have a card, but because most of their systems are absolute rubbish).

@arg wrote a good post and somewhere else referred to Polar as the "Ryanair of EV charing". I've got the Polar APP, used their chargers, and he's absolutely right :)

Reactions: firewire