Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie questions and a lesson learned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie questions and comment:

1. Is there any way to quickly maintain the climate controls (AC/Heating) other than by using the phone app? My BMW had a prompt whenever you shut off the car. Wife severely disabled and we travel with a dog. Live in the desert. I frequently make stops and wife and dog stay in car.
2. Media player--I see an XM radio prompt. Does model X with premium sound come with that? Introductory time only or pay for play? I thought I read somewhere that Tesla provided that for free????
3. Lesson learned--Picked up a nail in tire, went to normal tire shop for repair. AFTER removing and breaking down tire they said that they don’t repair “that kind of tire”. Called several other tire shops and 50% said no go. The rest said “No problem. Simply cut out foam square at repair site. Made repair and glued foam back in place . Easy peezy, but call first. Total cost $15. Call first and ask/explain before they take off the tire and tell you they don’t fix those kinds.
4. Charging practice question: It is my understanding that the reason for not charging to 100% is that it is not healthy (for battery) to leave a battery at full charge and then let it set. If this is true and you are going to drive like 40 miles after SCing to get home, is it fine/healthy to charge to 100% in that case? My closest SC is 45 miles from my house.

Reactions: hiroshiy
4. Charging practice question: It is my understanding that the reason for not charging to 100% is that it is not healthy (for battery) to leave a battery at full charge and then let it set. If this is true and you are going to drive like 40 miles after SCing to get home, is it fine/healthy to charge to 100% in that case? My closest SC is 45 miles from my house.
My understanding would be that this would be fine. You don't want it sitting at 100% for an extended period of time, but if you drive it down to 85% like that right afterward you shouldn't have a problem.

But why would you wait so long to charge all the way to 100% if your home is just 45 miles away? Charge to 25% and plug in once you get home. Way easier. And less waiting.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Good point. I’m still getting over my i3 range anxiety where I plugged in every time I got home. The one down side to letting the charge get down to 25% is if there was a surprise need to go on a longer trip, one would have to wait for the L2 to charge sufficiently (at 20MPH) before leaving. Still that would be rare and at 25% I could make it to a SC. I’m blessed in that there are 4 new SCs going by end of 2017 in on all my common along drive routes. The closest is in next town about 12 miles away.

1. Is there any way to quickly maintain the climate controls (AC/Heating) other than by using the phone app? My BMW had a prompt whenever you shut off the car. Wife severely disabled and we travel with a dog. Live in the desert. I frequently make stops and wife and dog stay in car.
2. Media player--I see an XM radio prompt. Does model X with premium sound come with that? Introductory time only or pay for play? I thought I read somewhere that Tesla provided that for free????
3. Lesson learned--Picked up a nail in tire, went to normal tire shop for repair. AFTER removing and breaking down tire they said that they don’t repair “that kind of tire”. Called several other tire shops and 50% said no go. The rest said “No problem. Simply cut out foam square at repair site. Made repair and glued foam back in place . Easy peezy, but call first. Total cost $15. Call first and ask/explain before they take off the tire and tell you they don’t fix those kinds.

1. There are other apps that allow for camper mode to keep the AC running. I believe the Tesla app times out after 30 mins. Another option is to just leave one of the doors cracked open, that'll keep the AC on, but I'm not sure for how long.

2. SiriusXM radio is only included with the upgraded audio package. However, a lot of people just use the app on their phone and stream it through bluetooth to the car. Tesla includes free Slacker internet radio. Just press the voice command button and ask it to play any song, artist, or comedian and it should be able to play it for you.

3. I have the ContiSilent tire patch instructions saved in my phone so that I can show them to any tire repair place. I've read other stories about tire repair places saying that they can't patch the tires because of the foam inside. Here's the link to the instructions: http://blobs.continental-tires.com/...gglMAA&usg=AFQjCNHvYZIFWmHeGd8TIyoo2BI_yr-F4Q

4. It shouldn't really hurt your battery if you start driving right away and drive it down below 90%. However, as IdaX mentioned, it's going to take a long time to charge the last 10% so it's probably not worth your time. Plus, if it's a busy supercharger, it's frowned upon because it takes so long to go from 90-100%, you could end up causing other people to have to wait to charge.

Controls>>E-brake & Power off>>Parking Brake

I just checked my SiriusXM code online to be sure, it's no trial, you need to pay full boat. :(

And 3rd party apps are good for 'camping mode' to keep the AC going ("Remote S" if you have an iPhone. works for 'X' of course also, and also has an Apple Watch version if you go that far :D ).

• Helpful
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
  • Informative
Reactions: boaterva
1)
I thought firmware V.8 flavors had a feature where if someone was in the front passenger seat the screen (hence climate control) would stay on when the driver left. I'm still rejecting V.8 and running 7.something, so I don't know for sure.

Anyway, touching the screen (after the driver exits and closes the door) will keep the controls on for 30 minutes.
The very quickest way is the @Nerdy_Engineer response. When the driver exits, only close the door to the 1st (safety) latch. The controls will stay on for 30 minutes.
Edit: You won't be able to lock the car with the door ajar.
For longer than that use the parking-brake "camper mode." You don't have to put the car in Neutral first; it just has to be not in Park. Controls will stay on as long as there is power in the battery.

4)
As others have stated, don't bother charging to 100% at a supercharger. Unless you know you need that range, it's not worth charging past 80%; the charge tapers too much to be worth the time.