Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was expecting a D-like announcement in which everybody finds out that "you can now order a P100D!" at the Gigafactory opening.

But in my opinion the evidence is now pointing toward a software upgrade being announced to unleash an additional 10 kWh for cars built after some date that has already passed. At least, that's a reasonable explanation for some cars now putting out much more power than their predecessors (further making me feel bad about my lowly P85).
Your speculation makes sense and the SvC's will be working overtime rebadging all of those cars that paid for the extra 10 kWh.

One important thing about those constant upgrades and updates, you have to pay for is, that the car gets more and more expensive. So Tesla might have to keep the 90, to keep the market share, because at some point, the car just gets too expensive for the added value. Especially compared to their Model 3. At some point, value for money must increase, if not Tesla isn't making progress anymore.

Even if that might hurt the feelings of some already customers. But just compare todays S60 to a S60 two years ago. It has more range, better performance, faster charging, supercharging and tech package standard. Basically 10k cheaper and better in every way. I just can't see Tesla going up and up with their top range model 100D. (its different for the P100D)

But I could see them including some options in the top range models as standard, premium package or smart suspension, while making the base price of that top range model more expensive.

Which owners have tried in a vehicle optioned like the test vehicle?

If 10.9 is the mark, then anything in the 10.9s should satisfy that, including 10.999.

I'd like to see an owner argue otherwise in a U.S. Court of law.

And an owner in here has gotten to .1517 seconds of that in a car which was not optioned like the test car.

Finally Tesla has never stated a trap speed.

But correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't it your position that because Elon tweeted a link to the MT article, that Tesla should be held to MT's 122+ mph figure?

If so then again that rings of a conspiracy theory to me.

1. Tesla gives MT and ringer knowing that it will put up bogus numbers.

2. Elon then tweets a link to MTs article with the bogus numbers in it.

Hmmmm

You need 30-50kw more power to run a 10.9 with a vmax or trap speed (both very close in 10s bracket) of at least 121. Whether tesla quoted, linked or implied 122 (they did) is not as relevant as the fact you need it to run the 10.9!

Love how it is suitable to accept non official track measurement of 10.9 with a car that has non standard software (and likely hardware) with unclear da corrections as gospel but 122!! That has LOTS of technicalities and clearly can't be referenced in any way .... Hahaha.

In track terms, based on above, nobody has ran a 10.9 in any configuration. Where is the slip?

Let's just say neither happened or are valid (particularly due to the non standard car)

Carefully note the power and mph of the first 10. Then note how high a 10 that is with the additional power. Then you will see how short changed those without the increase are and also how unlikely it is they will run the same without power bump ...

It all is moot. I am told the power increase is coming for all p90d to achieve said numbers. I told you Tesla would not let us down.

Alex, can I ask who told you the power increase is coming for all P90DL's? Was it your service centre? As mine didn't have a clue when I asked, they didn't even know that newer cars had increased power.

I'll be in the staging lanes in 26 hours....
Eagerly awaiting your drag strip results tonight. If you can, post your PowerTools run logs along with corresponding time slips. If the track condition is good, the traction-limited 60 ft times should be around 1.6 sec, but after that, with more power for uniformly improved acceleration <10.99 is conceivable. Good luck.

Eagerly awaiting your drag strip results tonight. If you can, post your PowerTools run logs along with corresponding time slips. If the track condition is good, the traction-limited 60 ft times should be around 1.6 sec, but after that, with more power for uniformly improved acceleration <10.99 is conceivable. Good luck.

There's a bit of weather moving through ohio that may cause some problems. I'll be up there anyway bit I may be thwarted yet again.

I'll see what I can do for livestreaming. At the very least I'll have a video.

Reactions: ggnykk and benjiejr
Hi, I'm really late to the party, and while this thread is super interesting to read, over 700 posts are a lot.

Would someone be so kind as to summarize some stuff you found out?

Is this increase a software thing?
Is it limited to 90 KWh packs, and if yes, do production dates matter?
Would ludicrous upgraded P85Ds see an increase as well, given they receive the firmware?
Was there maybe a hardware change to the power electronics (1500A smart fuse, etc.) that would affect P85Ds retrofitted later?

Hi, I'm really late to the party, and while this thread is super interesting to read, over 700 posts are a lot.

Would ludicrous upgraded P85Ds see an increase as well, given they receive the firmware?
Was there maybe a hardware change to the power electronics (1500A smart fuse, etc.) that would affect P85Ds retrofitted later?

Quick answer to all your questions, know one outside Tesla knows, only speculation at this point.

Check out the spreadsheet. Add your car, if you like. More data may give us clues or even answers if we gather enough.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
I can tell you one thing for sure the latest 2.24.102 software upgrade did not increase the power in my P85DL. While I was at the Edison ChargePoint charger in Irwindale I installed the upgrade hoping for a miracle before testing at the Irwindale 1/8 drag strip. I asked earlier at the Burbank Service Center if I could install the software while charging. He replied yes and Tesla encourages that the car is hooked up during the installation. But to my dismay when I started the software upgrade the charging stopped and I lost 40 precious minutes before I could start charging. So I was late to the strip and had time to charge to only 95%.

My first run was 7.124 @ 95.24 and 1.602 60' and R/T of .011 at 93%. This was not too far off of my best 7.082 @ 96.52 and 1.580 60' at 92% 5 weeks ago at the same strip.

Good luck St Charles at your first 10.9 tonight.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr and msnow
The best 60ft we have so far is 1.58 sec I believe. So hopefully we get that for the record run.

Alex, can I ask who told you the power increase is coming for all P90DL's? Was it your service centre? As mine didn't have a clue when I asked, they didn't even know that newer cars had increased power.
It is highly dependent on your software version, battery number and production date of your P90DL. Check the spreadsheet by GridSpace on the data that we got so far:

Tesla Model S P85/90D(L) Comparisons (Responses)

I can tell you one thing for sure the latest 2.24.102 software upgrade did not increase the power in my P85DL. While I was at the Edison ChargePoint charger in Irwindale I installed the upgrade hoping for a miracle before testing at the Irwindale 1/8 drag strip. I asked earlier at the Burbank Service Center if I could install the software while charging. He replied yes and Tesla encourages that the car is hooked up during the installation. But to my dismay when I started the software upgrade the charging stopped and I lost 40 precious minutes before I could start charging. So I was late to the strip and had time to charge to only 95%.

My first run was 7.124 @ 95.24 and 1.602 60' and R/T of .011 at 93%. This was not too far off of my best 7.082 @ 96.52 and 1.580 60' at 92% 5 weeks ago at the same strip.

Good luck St Charles at your first 10.9 tonight.
Looks like you have the fastest P85DL here. Would you mind entering it in this list Fast Tesla Model-Ss 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.