Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand what you're saying Tippy. What is your theory on the progressive increase in capacity over the past year? We see it in range and we are seeing it power. I know there are other hardware components is that where you are going?

Your range should go up in proportion to the increase kwh. In your quote from musk, he says you should get about 6% more range with the 90kwh pack. Thats because 90 / 85 = 1.059 or about 6% increase. Now, when you purchase the range upgrade from 85Kwh to 90kwh, you should get this increase of 6% immediately. This number seems to vary, but let's say the p85d had a range of 250 miles. A 6% increase would give you a new range of 265 miles. So your range should have increased by 15 miles, from your graphic I think tesla indicated 13 miles. In going from 85kwh to 90kwh, a 2015 car should have gained 13 miles in range. All well and good. But now 2016 rolls around, and there's this new battery. People start reporting that this battery has 12 miles more range than the previous battery even though it's still a 90Kwh battery. Let's not forget that the 2015 battery has supposedly already given the cars the 13 extra miles that you can expect from a 90kwh battery. So with the previous 13 miles and the additional 12 miles the 2016 battery is providing, that's at total of 25 miles of increased range in going from 85kwh to 90kwh. This just isn't possible. At moderate loads on the battery, there just aren't another 12 miles in the battery that can be had by increasing efficiency by tweaking the chemistry of the battery.

If they just happened to do something at the same time that increased the efficiency of the motors for instance, then you might see this kind of increase in miles. But from your previous posts, It appears that the only change was this new battery.

bhzmark,
Weight makes a difference....

The point is-
that little weight does not make that much difference

As for race car drivers knowing anything, we are not he brightest bulbs as you pretty much need a screw or two loose to race in the first place :)

WRT P85DEE....
ah, never mind.

On the range question, by chance are we looking at old versus refresh range numbers? I ask because I've been told by Tesla that the new nose provided extra range (reduced drag).

Reactions: NSX1992
If they just happened to do something at the same time that increased the efficiency of the motors for instance, then you might see this kind of increase in miles. But from your previous posts, It appears that the only change was this new battery.

In addition to the new nose they also introduced the slipstream wheels, which can increase efficiency. Who knows what else they have done.

bhzmark,
Weight makes a difference....

The point is-
that little weight does not make that much difference

As for race car drivers knowing anything, we are not he brightest bulbs as you pretty much need a screw or two loose to race in the first place :)

WRT P85DEE....
ah, never mind.

On the range question, by chance are we looking at old versus refresh range numbers? I ask because I've been told by Tesla that the new nose provided extra range (reduced drag).
That's what Tesla said; that the new aerodynamics were part of the reason for the increase. The problem with that is that cars that had a newer battery before the refresh were getting the same added range as those after. St Charles for example gets 270 on his PD to the originals 260 for the same car (no refreshed aerodynamics).

Your range should go up in proportion to the increase kwh. In your quote from musk, he says you should get about 6% more range with the 90kwh pack. Thats because 90 / 85 = 1.059 or about 6% increase. Now, when you purchase the range upgrade from 85Kwh to 90kwh, you should get this increase of 6% immediately. This number seems to vary, but let's say the p85d had a range of 250 miles. A 6% increase would give you a new range of 265 miles. So your range should have increased by 15 miles, from your graphic I think tesla indicated 13 miles. In going from 85kwh to 90kwh, a 2015 car should have gained 13 miles in range. All well and good. But now 2016 rolls around, and there's this new battery. People start reporting that this battery has 12 miles more range than the previous battery even though it's still a 90Kwh battery. Let's not forget that the 2015 battery has supposedly already given the cars the 13 extra miles that you can expect from a 90kwh battery. So with the previous 13 miles and the additional 12 miles the 2016 battery is providing, that's at total of 25 miles of increased range in going from 85kwh to 90kwh. This just isn't possible. At moderate loads on the battery, there just aren't another 12 miles in the battery that can be had by increasing efficiency by tweaking the chemistry of the battery.

It's also possible that Tesla is tweaking what 0% and 100% indicated are. We already know that there is a reserve under 0%. a small tweak to the battery chemistry along with widening the accessible voltage range could account for the difference.

It's also possible that Tesla is tweaking what 0% and 100% indicated are. We already know that there is a reserve under 0%. a small tweak to the battery chemistry along with widening the accessible voltage range could account for the difference.

I just find it curious that just as this new battery comes out, you get both the increased range and increased power you would expect in going from 85kwh to 90kwh.

Does that theory work if you get the added capacity by improvements in cell design/production? I would think the only way to spot the difference if the number of cells in the pack were the same (for 90 and 100 versions) would be to look at voltage sag under the same current load. The higher capacity battery should sag less assuming more efficient cells.

Does that theory work if you get the added capacity by improvements in cell design/production? I would think the only way to spot the difference if the number of cells in the pack were the same (for 90 and 100 versions) would be to look at voltage sag under the same current load. The higher capacity battery should sag less assuming more efficient cells.
They've all been about 4.2 volts when fully charged recently. No guarantee, but lets see.

PackVoltages.png

They're doing a full topping charge to 4.2 volts. That's using 100% of the cell capacity.
Each blue vertical line is the voltage of one of the 96 groups of cells that are in parallel. These 96 are connected in series to give the pack voltage of 403.2 volts.

So, no, these are not 100kwh packs in disguise.

Pack part no. 1088792-00-A

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.