Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry for your problems. Yours is a different issue than we're discussing in this thread. The shudder that we're discussing, with a remedy, is upon acceleration from low speed. It is not something that exists at constant speeds, or is reproducible at higher speed.

I hope you can resolve what you're experiencing. It sounds more like alignment or wheel balance, but I'm sure that's been checked. Perhaps search around on the forum for other problems that sound similar, or post a new thread. Good luck.

at hard acceleration i do get the shudder too especially if floor it getting on highway

now had wheel balance checked twice, road force balanced and even did alignment.

i know with 22s there should be some vibration, but not this much at 75 where you feel it in the entire car

Reactions: OregonX Guy
I suspect (maybe just paranoid) that my 9/19 built LR X has the shudder.
It's a suttle vibration during acceleration, that makes me think this is the "shudder" vs smooth acceleration compared to my Dual Motor LR Model 3 driving on the same road.

Any one here with late model 2019 got confirmed/repaired shudder?
The shudder I had on my 2016 MX, you can't just feel it, you can hear it.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
So far car is pretty smooth. No more odd spring sound when accelerating quickly. Guess time will tell. Now just to get in line for that HW3 retrofit.
I did some experimentation with a camera mounted in the front while reproducing the shudder. That 'odd spring sound' is the compressor bracket hitting the passenger side drive unit mount bracket. The compressor is mounted to the drive unit (via isolator bushings), and the shudder frequency seems to pass through the resonant frequency of the compressor assembly at around 35 MPH, making the compressor bracket shake violently enough to hit the drive unit bracket (they normally sit fairly close to each other anyway).

I did some experimentation with a camera mounted in the front while reproducing the shudder. That 'odd spring sound' is the compressor bracket hitting the passenger side drive unit mount bracket. The compressor is mounted to the drive unit (via isolator bushings), and the shudder frequency seems to pass through the resonant frequency of the compressor assembly at around 35 MPH, making the compressor bracket shake violently enough to hit the drive unit bracket (they normally sit fairly close to each other anyway).

Awesome, thanks for investigating! Despite new clevis mount and halfshafts, I still get the spring sound.

Do you think there is any way to fix this? Or if I don’t fix you think it will become a problem?

I’ve told some service advisors about this spring sound and they looked at me like I was crazy. Really glad you taped it to see exactly what the issue is, thanks again.

It is odd since it requires dismantling of the suspension components. I pushed this issue with my SC and they insisted that wheel alignment was not necessary.
Having done work on my S front suspension, and looking over the bulletin, the parts that they dismantle for half shaft replacement should be able to be reassembled without impacting alignment. Those links (knuckle to upper control arm / knuckle lower to tie rod) are taper fit and can only really go back together in the same alignment that they were prior to removal.

Awesome, thanks for investigating! Despite new clevis mount and halfshafts, I still get the spring sound.

Do you think there is any way to fix this? Or if I don’t fix you think it will become a problem?

I’ve told some service advisors about this spring sound and they looked at me like I was crazy. Really glad you taped it to see exactly what the issue is, thanks again.
Well, if you had the bulletin performed and you get only the sound and not the shudder that can be felt, then it may be a different issue. If you pull the frunk bin out and mount a camera such that it is looking rearward between the passenger side of the compressor bracket / passenger drive unit bracket, you'll see if it is making contact on hard acceleration. You can also just temporarily shove some thick padding type material between the two brackets (they sit fairly close together) and see if that resolves the issue. On mine, there were telltale marks on the drive unit bracket from where the compressor bracket had been making contact.

Could you post a video or the sound ? is it like this ?

I have a 2017 MX 100D.. i have had my share of SC visits for vibration and sound from the front end..

They replaced Half shafts, clevis mounts under warranty.. I upgraded tires, did alignment and balancing too.. but vibration over 80 MPH existed.. during my last visit they removed tires and put the wheel on balancing machine (Without Tires) and found that there was a slight irregularity.. they changes the front 2 wheels.. cost be 3800 but now the issue is resolved..

22` wheel, had no scratch or dent, nothing visible when balancing with tires on.. Below is the video

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
I was told last Friday car was ready Friday, but lead tech had to drive it. Was told Monday would be ready. That turned into Tuesday.

Tuesday I pick up the Model X - was told half shafts were replaced as a "just in case." Also, apparently they replaced front passenger wheel and tire. On top of back wheel because the tech apparently curbed it while was in service.

Long story short, pull out - as soon as give the Model X power car cut to the right like crazy. Went back, tech tells me it's torque steer which immediately I said absolutely not. Drove another Model X on the lot and nothing like mine. Cut to 4 hours later, am told alignment was done while I stood by but still pulls to right and they have to keep it longer.

Will be coming up on 3 weeks Tuesday without a brand new Model X I just picked up in early September. No one gets back to me, and no one apparently cares.

Worst car choice I ever made was getting into a Model X.

I was told last Friday car was ready Friday, but lead tech had to drive it. Was told Monday would be ready. That turned into Tuesday.

Tuesday I pick up the Model X - was told half shafts were replaced as a "just in case." Also, apparently they replaced front passenger wheel and tire. On top of back wheel because the tech apparently curbed it while was in service.

Long story short, pull out - as soon as give the Model X power car cut to the right like crazy. Went back, tech tells me it's torque steer which immediately I said absolutely not. Drove another Model X on the lot and nothing like mine. Cut to 4 hours later, am told alignment was done while I stood by but still pulls to right and they have to keep it longer.

Will be coming up on 3 weeks Tuesday without a brand new Model X I just picked up in early September. No one gets back to me, and no one apparently cares.

Worst car choice I ever made was getting into a Model X.
I'm really sorry for your issues, Mike. I hope it turns around. My X was quite a mess when I took delivery back in 2016, and spent a ton of time in the shop (much longer than you). In both cases, it's inexcusable. I will say that my X was fixed and turned into a great car that we still own and enjoy, so hopefully there's a happy ending in sight.

Reactions: DriverOne
I'm really sorry for your issues, Mike. I hope it turns around. My X was quite a mess when I took delivery back in 2016, and spent a ton of time in the shop (much longer than you). In both cases, it's inexcusable. I will say that my X was fixed and turned into a great car that we still own and enjoy, so hopefully there's a happy ending in sight.
I can say the same about my 2017 experience. When I'm in the shop now, even though I give them a list because I save it all for the interval checkup/maintenance, I sometimes get the vehicle back the same day and haven't waited past the third day in several visits.

RIch Rebuilds just posted this. @ 17 min mark, Rich and Chad talk about the vibration issue at the front. Chad says how they use to replace axle shafts which is only a temporary fix but he says root cause is motor mount and real fix is redesigned mount and bushings.

• Helpful
Reactions: forkee
Chad knows I had the clevis pin repair so I think what is uncertain is if it is ultimately successful. I drive on the rear bushing he had designed and not only is the ride better but the tire destroying camber is greatly improved. Maybe he is onto something.