Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also had this done last week. In the work estimate prior to the appointment they had listed all the parts for the rev D halfshafts as well as the clivus motor mount assembly. After the appt the tech said he only did the rev d halfshafts since that’s all that’s really needed to fix the issue. A little disappointing because all the parts where there to fix it to the most recent service bulletin specs.

The really stupid part is that the clevis replacement is the easiest/cheapest portion. (I think it costs about $400, while the halfshaft replacements costs about $2,500 or is it $3,500???)

Just got my X back and I notice something different for the parts number that some other have received. According to the bulletin the clevis mount description is: CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F (1055366-00-H) which is what I got but I see some other people got this:
FRGD CLVS ASSY, DBL ISO, LHS MTR MNT, SDU-F (1055366-00-G). Does anybody know what is the difference? Is one for MS and other is for MX? Thanks

Just got my X back and I notice something different for the parts number that some other have received. According to the bulletin the clevis mount description is: CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F (1055366-00-H) which is what I got but I see some other people got this:
FRGD CLVS ASSY, DBL ISO, LHS MTR MNT, SDU-F (1055366-00-G). Does anybody know what is the difference? Is one for MS and other is for MX? Thanks

The H revision you got is the part that the TSB says to use. (Same on both the S&X.) People that have gotten the G revision are getting an old version of the part and I would think that the shudder would likely come back for them.

• Informative
Reactions: ckwong
got mine back after a record breaking 2 days (they also replaced the farting 12v). shudder completely gone, feels almost as spirited as when i had my performance 3. it is a night and day difference and feels like a whole other car. along with the front door latch retrofit kit, this is a must have for older model Xs before the original warranty runs out.

shudder fix.jpg

Happy, Sad. After only three weeks and 2250 miles on my new X, I recognized the birth of the shudder while driving yesterday. Glad for this website, happy to find info to bring in for service, but terribly sad and disappointed that a known issue is still being mass produced. This car was built in July 2019, a mere month ago. SMH.

Isnt that strange considered the amount of work and replaced parts all of which has to do with wheels? I'm going to ask my SA for a complementary wheel alignment as my car is in service now getting this TSB done (among yellow border UV treatment)

It is odd since it requires dismantling of the suspension components. I pushed this issue with my SC and they insisted that wheel alignment was not necessary.

Based on posts on this thread, as well as my own experience, some service centers are not following the instructions in the service bulletin, and are installing older parts. My car got the latest clevis mount, but older half shafts.

My advice is to bring the printed service bulletin with you.

View attachment 444852

They installed revision D on one side of my car and revision B on the other. I asked them about this since it wasn't per the TSB. I was told that the updated clevis mount is the key to the fix and they are allowed to use older revision half-shafts.

Sent in my 2017 X100D to the SC today in Portland, OR for the Shudder TSB. My X is less than 1k away from 50k. Service tech insisted we get the shudder TSB done prior to 50K, otherwise it's a bunch of paperwork to go back to the original warranty. [I do have Extended Warranty, but he insisted it is still easier this way].
So advise to all you folks, keep you eye on your mileage / close to your 4 year anniversary.

The Portland SC ordered the Shudder TSB parts Friday last week, and had them in time for today's install, with no problem getting parts even w/ the Labor Day weekend delays. Pick up will be next Tuesday, as their shop is quite busy.

I verified, on the paperwork I signed to authorize repairs, that the half shafts are D revisions and the Clevis is H revision. Let's do this.

Lastly, big shout out to the folks at the Portland SC for supplying us with a MX P100D LOANER. Portland has always been good to make sure our loaners are Tesla's. I'm sure there are times when they cannot, but I have been very fortunate.
I don't know what is going on with other SC's, not providing Tesla loaners, but Tony at the Portland SC just rocks. Top notch!

-TechVP