Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On one hand, I don't think making a transmission is so hard nowadays. Yes, the torque and instant acceleration makes it difficult, but with proper electronics you can adjust motor speed on the fly to match gear speeds (and even actual angle) so they do not cause impact. It has all to be designed specifically for the car, so it is expensive, but I am sure it can be done (that sort of control wasn't widely available when the Roadster was launched).
OTOH, if you put two motors with widely different gearing, you probably don't need it. Put the front motor with gearing that's 100% above that of the rear motor and you have significantly faster top speed with only a small sacrifice in acceleration.
On your other hand, yes you could just have two different geared motors but with that setup you have one doing the work down low and one doing it up top. With a trans you could have them both fully helping all the time. The acceleration both up top and down low would be better because you have 2 motors doing it instead of 1.

So the Master Plan Part 2 is out.....

And oddly enough, there was no mention of the second generation roadster/sportscar! Elon mentioned the compact SUV, and even the pickup truck, but nothing about the next gen sportscar :/

All we know, (from his past comments) is that it will have Maximum Plaid, and be released sometime in the 2019 timeframe (based on the 2015 press release of ludicrous mode, he said "due out in 4 years.") But the lack of any mention of the sportscar in the new master plan is surprising! Should we be worried??

It looks like he rethought the plan as part of putting together the Master Plan II. When he was in Europe last year or early this year he also said there would be an even more affordable car than the Model 3, presumably smaller, that would come out as a follow on to the 3. It looks like that project has been shelved too.

So the Master Plan Part 2 is out.....

And oddly enough, there was no mention of the second generation roadster/sportscar! Elon mentioned the compact SUV, and even the pickup truck, but nothing about the next gen sportscar :/

All we know, (from his past comments) is that it will have Maximum Plaid, and be released sometime in the 2019 timeframe (based on the 2015 press release of ludicrous mode, he said "due out in 4 years.") But the lack of any mention of the sportscar in the new master plan is surprising! Should we be worried??

I doubt it. I'll bet it was just an oversight on his part. They've been promising a new Roadster forever. Elon may have even considered it part of the original master plan since it will be using the Model 3 skateboard platform. The new master plan seemed to be more about the new directions the company will be attempting. The new Roadster is not a new direction.

I would actually be surprised if they develop a next generation Roadster before 2025 if ever. Elon's goal all along has been to electrify transportation. Sports cars are such low volume they barely move the needle. But there are millions of trucks sold every year followed by almost as many SUV's.

Reactions: cswolfe
I would actually be surprised if they develop a next generation Roadster before 2025 if ever. Elon's goal all along has been to electrify transportation. Sports cars are such low volume they barely move the needle. But there are millions of trucks sold every year followed by almost as many SUV's.
Yes but even Toyota builds halo cars to get people interested in the brand.

With the rumored 100 kilowatt battery right around the corner, it got me thinking about the application of this battery to the next gen roadster. If the next generation sportscar was in fact a 4 seater, and had (at least) 500 miles of range, and maximum plaid (0-60 in 1.85 seconds?? Half of the roadster sport's 0-60), what an amazing car it would be!

Tesla would be able to say that the new roadster has double the range of the original roadster, double the passenger capacity, and all while achieving a 0-60 time in half the time of the original. That's my imagination gone wild!:)

Reactions: Cloxxki
Tesla would be able to say that the new roadster has double the range of the original roadster, double the passenger capacity, and all while achieving a 0-60 time in half the time of the original.
Except that, by definition, a roadster has 2 seats. 4 seats does not a roadster make. Plus, hauling around the extra weight of a 500 mile pack also violates the ethos of a sports car, which should be as light as possible. Lighter weight improves acceleration, braking, handling - pretty much every aspect of performance (except maybe safety).

The next Gen Roadster may be dead though. At the earnings call Elon and JB Straubel were asked about it and while Elon said it wasn't dead, it's a very low priority compared to other projects. He described the Roadster as "dessert" and not a critical part of the company's growth plan at this point.

The next Roadster will of course include all the modern features current cars have and a moveable steering wheel is the least of them. Elon is not going to accept anything less. The original Roadster skipped many such features because Tesla was a tiny company with very limited resources and they were developing the car from the Elise platform which was deliberately designed by Lotus to be a very basic sports car.

Reactions: JRP3 and Jaff
The next gen Roadster will be a halo car for Tesla, hence the dessert reference. Tesla will make it & they'll make it soon (>= 5 yrs).

I believe his response was that the next gen Roadster was not an important part of the plan going forward. I was left with the impression while he'd like to do it, the Roadster was going on the back burner until a lot of other vehicle projects were in production.

Maybe I misinterpreted his remarks, but I think it's likely the next gen Roadster is going to be a while.

I was left with the impression while he'd like to do it, the Roadster was going on the back burner until a lot of other vehicle projects were in production.
And my impression was that this "lot of other vehicle" was Model 3 and Model Y. If I remember correctly he has hinted before that it may be the next car after Model Y (or more exact: "the small Gen-III CUV"). But they may have later decided to postpone it until after the pick-up/bus/semi/whatever...

The Roadster would just be the cherry on top, but not really critical for the company.
The RoadsterNG has never - as I have seen it - been critical for the company. I have always seen the plans for a new Roadster as a nice hint back to the first generation Roadster - and that was critical for the company - and a new "helo" car to bring even more attention to the brand.

Perhaps the new Roadster would need to be developed away from the mothership. It takes up resources needed to make normal familycars happen without delay or distraction.
If a separate team were to be formed with access to Tesla's research and tech, what could they build? The low budget but high price Rimac Concept One offers a first insight in the possibilities.

I'd love to know more about proven battery technologies. For peak power, small batteries can do a good job but offering low range. Koenigsegg has a 75kg 4.5kWh 800V 525kW battery that get then 20-30 miles of e-range. Not light enough to use 20 of them, obviously.
But one of these supplementing an internal Tesla 2170 60kWh for lap attack unit and a removable (pit stop) 60kWh unit, There would never be need for more power, and in total decent range with a battery weight that can be built around.
Rimac's front drive train might be worth taking a licence on. Rear DT might suffice with a standard large Tesla unit plus proprietary cooling. Now all that with a chassis that's not a porker.
I like the idea of a range extender pack (this second 60kWh) that is bolted centrally under the car.

In lap attack mode, it would have peak power of 525kW from the small battery and 300+kW from the internal 60kWh pack. Enough total to be quick. The small battery is good at not overheating too much, the 60 makes up the laps and feeds the small battery as hard as it will be charged. My math may well be too optimistic, internal 2170 pack may need to be larger. But in a race situation, it may be interesting to have to start on the extender, and only be allow to drop it off in the pits, then a larger extender is good to deplete first and then drop during a tire stop. Could make for interesting racing.
Lap attack might even work with just 2 or 3 of the small modular batteries. More need for power, more desire to save weight, less to have range.

On a light car with lots of torque, I'd spec a longer gear ratio. Race cars seldomly dip below 50kph, and need the top end. At low speeds, traction is the limiting factor moreso than power.

Perhaps the new Roadster would need to be developed away from the mothership. It takes up resources needed to make normal familycars happen without delay or distraction.
If a separate team were to be formed with access to Tesla's research and tech, what could they build? The low budget but high price Rimac Concept One offers a first insight in the possibilities.

I'd love to know more about proven battery technologies. For peak power, small batteries can do a good job but offering low range. Koenigsegg has a 75kg 4.5kWh 800V 525kW battery that get then 20-30 miles of e-range. Not light enough to use 20 of them, obviously.
But one of these supplementing an internal Tesla 2170 60kWh for lap attack unit and a removable (pit stop) 60kWh unit, There would never be need for more power, and in total decent range with a battery weight that can be built around.
Rimac's front drive train might be worth taking a licence on. Rear DT might suffice with a standard large Tesla unit plus proprietary cooling. Now all that with a chassis that's not a porker.
I like the idea of a range extender pack (this second 60kWh) that is bolted centrally under the car.

In lap attack mode, it would have peak power of 525kW from the small battery and 300+kW from the internal 60kWh pack. Enough total to be quick. The small battery is good at not overheating too much, the 60 makes up the laps and feeds the small battery as hard as it will be charged. My math may well be too optimistic, internal 2170 pack may need to be larger. But in a race situation, it may be interesting to have to start on the extender, and only be allow to drop it off in the pits, then a larger extender is good to deplete first and then drop during a tire stop. Could make for interesting racing.
Lap attack might even work with just 2 or 3 of the small modular batteries. More need for power, more desire to save weight, less to have range.

On a light car with lots of torque, I'd spec a longer gear ratio. Race cars seldomly dip below 50kph, and need the top end. At low speeds, traction is the limiting factor moreso than power.
I would say that rimac's from and rear motor design is ideal. 4 wheel torque vectoring and a 2 speed transmission in the rear so it can accelerate off the line and up top good.