Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA crash tests results/videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else find it funny that they ordered leather and the tech package on one of their cars?

The stickers show each car was slightly under $70k, so maybe they took what they could get in that manufacturing window that was <$70k? For the S40, the sticker lists a $10,000 credit and then that is compensated by the leather, tech package, and paint option.

Some nitpicks:
1. Seriously, CNN, get your <bleep/> together. The 9 spoke alpha picture is lovely but embarrassingly stale. I'm sure Tesla has some b-roll from the last 10 months of production cars.
2. The title phrasing "first crash test" is inaccurate. Ask GasDoc and/or research the 4 or so other crashes that we know of just on TMC alone.

Crash Test vs Crash... One isn't doing it for the benefit of "the people". Unless you mean putting the car to the test... In which case... mmhmmz

However, when you look at the details of the tests, many of the cars on your list did not get five-star in every single category (e.g. driver on side-impact, or side pole rating). Besides the Model S, I think there are only three that truly received five-stars on every sub-test AND every seating position:
Cadillac ATS
Chevy Camaro
Volvo s60 4dr

And among those cars, the Model S had the lowest rollover risk percentage, so I think it wins overall.
Yup. I think we've had this discussion on TMC at least 7 times.

Some nitpicks:
1. Seriously, CNN, get your <bleep/> together. The 9 spoke alpha picture is lovely but embarrassingly stale. I'm sure Tesla has some b-roll from the last 10 months of production cars.
2. The title phrasing "first crash test" is inaccurate. Ask GasDoc and/or research the 4 or so other crashes that we know of just on TMC alone.

Actually at 2012 shareholders meeting Elon said that Tesla did extensive safety testing. Their own testing was more stringent and covered more scenarios than the NHTSA required.

But perhaps the journalist meant to say that they got the 5 star rating on the first third party safety testing right off the best (i.e. first NHSTA testing). As noted earlier other companies didn't always achieve this right away. (someone earlier in post said other companies achieved these ratings, but only after appeals, and I presume some of those had to make engineering adjustments and then retest for appeal process).

So I think this was MEANT to be positive, though as you correctly point out Brianman, it may not be interpreted that way, so you are correct to point out the 'sloppy journalism'.

hmm..just read this over..did I just waste a whole bunch of electrons and pixels just to agree with Brianman? :wink:

The 4-way flashers going off after impact is pretty standard now--- but what about extending the door handles and auto-unlocking? Seems like after a major impact it would be ideal to have the door handles extend so that rescuers (or passersby) would have good leverage to yank a door open. Grabbing a window sill doesn't do anything for unlatching nor leverage.

I think that is actually in the manual. Doors unlock and handles extend at impact. I am referring to the latest EU
spec manual version .11

By the way, on the front impact, it doesn't look like the seat belt pre-tensioners are working. :-!

image.jpg

Last edited:
I think that judging anything from a video, compared to the actual data that the NHSTA based it's ratings on is pointless. This is what they do, so it's right to perhaps seek clarification, but having serious concerns seems a bit OTT.

Anyway, my question was why it seems they do not think the Model S's ESC meets NHSTA standards:

ESC.jpg

My understanding was that the ESC is more sophisticated that many ICE cars, because it has such granular control over the motor.

Not sure if this has been posted already. Crash test results are out here:

2013 Tesla Model S 5 HB RWD | Safercar -- NHTSA

Five stars across the board. The site enables one to compare the Model S with other vehicles, but I would like to see how the Model S ranks against all other models.

I wonder why NHTSA does not have the electronic stability control checked. The Model S certainly has it.

GSP

Please observe my message footer. I've had a bad experience with the press quoting me out of context.

Yes, and I had the New York Times quote a TMC forum post of mine, out of context and weeks after I posted it, in an attempt to support David Broder. Thus I became one of the first to include a disclaimer in my sig block.

- - - Updated - - -

I was skimming XM radio this afternoon and tuned in to a piece on NPR about the cars that have earned 5-star NHTSA safety ratings across the board. There are only half a dozen, the correspondent said, and proceeded to name them.

"Great," I thought to myself, "Tesla will be getting some well-deserved exposure from this." I was then flabbergasted to realize that Model S was not on his list!

It's amazing to me, after all this time and all the accolades it has earned, that Model S doesn't even register as a car with some people, including many whose business it is to know better.

Dear all,

Tesla asked that we post the following statement on their behalf:

Tesla and NHTSA confirm that significant lifting of the second row seat pan upon impact as seen in the video of NCAP frontal crash testing is not a normal occurrence on Model S. Instead, this anomaly is due to the placement and installation of sensors, cables, cameras and other test equipment used to document the NCAP testing. During this process, the test facility partially removed the second row seat pan and did not fully reinstall it. This partial removal had no effect whatsoever on NHTSA’s NCAP test results. Normally, under non-testing conditions, the Model S second row seat is locked into place with a series of clips and fasteners. The second row seat pan will not lift in the event of a crash.

Having reviewed the crash footage on the Model S, I'm:

Slightly concerned that the rear view mirror detached and flew off. Getting hit in the face with this could cause a bad concussion or other TBI. I hope that Tesla puts more/stronger glue on the mirror unit, or secures it in some other, better way.

I am very impressed with how well the passenger cell is protected from impacts.

For comparison, here is a 9th Generation Honda Accord (2013), which is widely considered to be one of the safest midsize sedans on the market:

Pole test:

The Accord earns 5-stars in this test, but as you can see, the passenger cell suffers enormous amounts of deformation, and the interior is utterly trashed.

Similarly, there's clearly more deformation in the side impact test:

The Model S clearly benefits from a beefier structure, center/floor battery pack, and higher curb weight. Comparing the Model S to an Accord is like comparing an MRAP to a Humvee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having reviewed the crash footage on the Model S, I'm:

Slightly concerned that the rear view mirror detached and flew off. Getting hit in the face with this could cause a bad concussion or other TBI. I hope that Tesla puts more/stronger glue on the mirror unit, or secures it in some other, better way.
weight.

The mirror is designed to detach under stress. Probably better to potentially detach than not, in the event one of the occupants whacks into it during the collision.

The mirror is designed to detach under stress. Probably better to potentially detach than not, in the event one of the occupants whacks into it during the collision.

How do you know it is supposed to break loose like that? Your explanation does make some sense to me, but I still cannot help thinking that a flying object in the cabin is dangerous.

I went back and looked at the photos from GasDoc's accident (side impact to Nosecone/Frunk by BMW M5 at high speed): http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ves-7-8)/page8?p=348987&viewfull=1#post348987 and the mirror did not fall off.