Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA crash tests results/videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know it is supposed to break loose like that? Your explanation does make some sense to me, but I still cannot help thinking that a flying object in the cabin is dangerous.

I went back and looked at the photos from GasDoc's accident (side impact to Nosecone/Frunk by BMW M5 at high speed): http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ves-7-8)/page8?p=348987&viewfull=1#post348987 and the mirror did not fall off.

All of my cars have a spring-pressure ball mount on the mirror for this reason. Maybe this is an indication of the forces behind this test, as opposed to what GasDoc experienced.

All of my cars have a spring-pressure ball mount on the mirror for this reason. Maybe this is an indication of the forces behind this test, as opposed to what GasDoc experienced.

I looked at several other side impact videos from NHTSA and didn't see any mirror detachments. Someone should ask Tesla if this is intentional or not. Any potential fix would not be difficult, and would probably involve more or different glue.

I looked at several other side impact videos from NHTSA and didn't see any mirror detachments. Someone should ask Tesla if this is intentional or not. Any potential fix would not be difficult, and would probably involve more or different glue.

Detaching under stress is a requirement. See page 30 in this document: http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Vehicle%20Safety/Test%20Procedures/Associated%20Files/TP-111-V00.pdf

The question, I guess, is if the mirror detached well below the requirement of a 90 pound load. Given the body's rigidity in side impact compared to other cars, it would not surprise me if the stress at the mirror is higher than comparable cars.

Detaching under stress is a requirement. See page 30 in this document: http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Vehicle Safety/Test Procedures/Associated Files/TP-111-V00.pdf

The question, I guess, is if the mirror detached well below the requirement of a 90 pound load. Given the body's rigidity in side impact compared to other cars, it would not surprise me if the stress at the mirror is higher than comparable cars.

Very interesting. Thanks for the link. Looks like the test procedure for mirror breakaway compliance is pretty comprehensive.

Just to confirm MPT - this was posted by nkinkaid (who authors all the bulletin board posts) on the Tesla Motors forum:

nkinkaid@teslam... | AUGUST 8, 2013
Tesla and NHTSA confirm that significant lifting of the second row seat pan upon impact as seen in the video of NCAP frontal crash testing is not a normal occurrence on Model S. Instead, this anomaly is due to the placement and installation of sensors, cables, cameras and other test equipment used to document the NCAP testing. During this process, the test facility partially removed the second row seat pan and did not fully reinstall it. This partial removal had no effect whatsoever on NHTSA’s NCAP test results. Normally, under non-testing conditions, the Model S second row seat is locked into place with a series of clips and fasteners. The second row seat pan will not lift in the event of a crash.

For more information on Model S's recent five star crash safety rating, email [email protected] or call (877) 798-3752.

Just in case Telsa's statement through MPT wasn't enough, or you're just curious what sorts of cabling and rigging go on with a crash test dummy (it's extensive), here are the relevant before and after photos from NHTSA:

Before:
v08308P027.jpg

After:
v08308P028.jpg

You can see the rear seat backs are still in their upright position after the crash, and the extent to which NHTSA had messed with the seat bottom cushion for cable rigging. I think we can put this concern to bed once and for all.

So, does anyone know if any car got a rollover ranking lower then 5.7%? When things are limited by 5 stars it is hard to judge and the 5.7% is the best number we got so far in terms of precision.

I really wish the website would let you sort by stars at least.

So, does anyone know if any car got a rollover ranking lower then 5.7%? When things are limited by 5 stars it is hard to judge and the 5.7% is the best number we got so far in terms of precision.

I really wish the website would let you sort by stars at least.

I found this article on the best ratings for rollovers. http://www.carsdirect.com/car-safety/top-4-best-rollover-rated-suvs
Ignore the text of the link, it does talk about the best in different classes.
The formerly best sedan had a rating at 9%.
The best sports car rating is 7%.

The Model S blows the them both away. While we knew it would, this confirmation is really stunning and could easily help sales if sales were not already production constrained:(

How do you know it is supposed to break loose like that? Your explanation does make some sense to me, but I still cannot help thinking that a flying object in the cabin is dangerous.

I agree. I don't think the mirror should break loose like that, but I can't say I know for sure. What I do recall are several incidents around here where people have been killed or seriously injured by things like flying cell phones and laptops when cars are involved in accidents. One example here.

As that CrashNet1 video of the frontal crash test confirms, the passenger cabin was not compromised in the slightest. All four doors are still operable! I don't watch a lot of crash videos: is this common?

Thanks to the folks that found and posted these.

What was the deal with rotating the car upside down on that rig? Was that just for visual inspection after the crash test?

Also, I've seen alluded to several times on the forum a "roof crush test" that was performed wherein the Model S was so strong it "broke" the testing machine? Has anybody knowlege of that first hand that can confirm... or better yet is there video of that around?

Thanks.