Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Investigates Failing MCUs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the other thread, they are replacing the failing part with new-old stock of the same board with the same part. Typical Tesla.

Also, there is an extensive thread by the Danish guy who did an electron microscope breakdown on the failing eMMC chip and it's not related to logging, just general usage of the memory. So we can expect this Tesla fix to break in a few years.

Reactions: viper2ko
Based on the other thread, they are replacing the failing part with new-old stock of the same board with the same part. Typical Tesla.

Also, there is an extensive thread by the Danish guy who did an electron microscope breakdown on the failing eMMC chip and it's not related to logging, just general usage of the memory. So we can expect this Tesla fix to break in a few years.
Link?

As you predicted, they were not willing to put it under warranty, but she offered to waive the labor fee, and quoted $410 for the part. I sent her the bill attached to an earlier post showing $120 for the part and, after asking management, she was able to match that for a total of $130.80!
Ha, ha, sounds like a trick straight out of the 80's car sales manual. So much for Elon's direct sales and service model - no haggling, everyone pays clearly posted prices. Oh wait, I know what happen, that model is still "coming soon".;)

Here:
I have investigated this error under (scanning electron)microscope and probing. The problem is related to an OTP register inside the controller of the chip. The register fault varies a lot from chip to chip, but is definitively defective due to a silicon design flaw, it seems to be all "GMRA" chips, but failure rate depends on the production date. This also explains the variation in failure rate. When the memory area is near fully occupied, the corrupted OTP register will make the chip loose vital information, and write cycles are not performed, but no data is overwritten, a few garbage bytes (64) are sometimes written though. The crazy logging going on is not really the root cause of the chips going bad, but much more the percentage of occupied cells for data and then time. The number of erase/read/write cycles are way less destructive.

The good news is that almost all of the bad chips can be read out. I do that professionally, and I know of two other companies that does the same. With my method, it takes about an hour to read out the vital key and certificates.

Reactions: whitex
Last edited:
I wonder how wonky is wonky enough to interest NHTSA. MCU2 units have a recognised issue effecting upgrade and original fitment cars with backup camera being very dark in moderate to low light levels.

Backup Cam doesnt adjust exp. for night?

I don't know what the requirements are, other than I have seen that if they offer you adjustments to change brightness/contrast that it is required to go back to the default settings every time the backup camera is activated. (You aren't allowed to save your brightness/contrast settings.)

If you think it being dark is a safety issue you should report it to Tesla, and possibly NHTSA.

Screenshot 2020-11-16 163229.jpg

NHTSA it still going down their normal path and have upgraded from a PE, preliminary evaluation, to an EA, engineering analysis, investigation: U.S. upgrades safety probe into nearly 159,000 Tesla vehicles

Interesting that overall it only appears to be a ~9% failure rate so far. (Though they say that the failure rate is over 30 percent in certain build months.)

It sounds like Tesla has made software changes to try to avoid a recall. If it detects it is near the end of life the MCU goes into limited functionality mode that displays only the rear view camera, sets HVAC to auto, so defrost works, and has changed how the turn signals work so that they should continue to operate. (Though that might require a recall to make sure everyone is on the software version that supports the limited functionality mode.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: besnova
NHTSA it still going down their normal path and have upgraded from a PE, preliminary evaluation, to an EA, engineering analysis, investigation: U.S. upgrades safety probe into nearly 159,000 Tesla vehicles

Interesting that overall it only appears to be a ~9% failure rate so far. (Though they say that the failure rate is over 30 percent in certain build months.)
I am currently upgrading to MCU2 because I have had a lot of MCU1 problems and more recently it has been crashing and black screening for a long time. Bug reports don't even work or understand me sometimes so I gave up. S/C doesn't say much either. I'm paying out of pocket so I hope that this would all be reimbursed but we will find out Feb 2021.

I'm paying out of pocket so I hope that this would all be reimbursed but we will find out Feb 2021.

The FAQ clearly states that unless Tesla has diagnosed the eMMC failure that a MCU2 upgrade would not be reimbursed. (And it would only be reimbursed at the rate that the eMMC repair would be done at that time. Which right now, assuming you aren't out of the extended warranty period, is $0. Or ~$500 if you are out of the extended warranty period.)

• Informative
Reactions: besnova