Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nice warning when you leave charging port door open and drive off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, I drove off with my charging port door open and the car beeped at me and showed this warning.

IMG_3491_cropped.jpg

At least I was not spilling fuel, just electrons :wink:

I wish it would warn you audibly when you leave the trunk open! Twice I thought someone else with me closed it and didn't.
Just close it from the screen, since you got the Tech pkg.

Kinda wish I could do that with the charge port, since I've left it open and drove off a couple times. After a while you get used to shutting the door after removing the charge cable.

I don't remember a beep either. I wish the warning was a bit more obvious. Those 4 pixels are not easy to see unless you're looking for it. If you try driving with a door ajar there's a warning on the center display and a repeatative "bong" sound..I would like that (as a user selectable option) for the charger door too.

I confirmed this morning that it does not beep. It keeps the image on the left panel so I think when we are used to the interface, we will spot it pretty quickly; since the car is not shown in the left panel unless something is left open.

I don't usually notice it b/c I'm typically backing out of my garage immediately after getting in the car, I hid D and off I go. About 1/4 mile from the house I start scanning the display and notice it while I'm already on the road. A beep when you go into gear would be the time to alert so you can jump out and close it before you're on the road and it's less safe and much less convenient.

That's very odd, because mine will put up one of those center-bottom display warnings "Charge port open". It's pretty obvious.

EDIT: I just looked again. Prior to hitting the brake, it says "Charge port open" where the gear selector is shown, but it does not give an audio alert. If you're not used to looking at the display before touching the brake to start the car, I can see how you'd miss it. I always have a habit of scanning the displays before starting the car, so I always see the warning.

Robert,

I've had this warning for the past three days. I can't figure out how to make it go away. I tried a 'soft-reset' (holding both selector wheels down on the steering column) and that didn't work.

Anyone have any suggestions? (Other than taking the car into the service center)

Greg

I've had minor problems with the sensor claiming that my charge cover was open, when it wasn't. Not reproducible.

Robert,

I've had this warning for the past three days. I can't figure out how to make it go away. I tried a 'soft-reset' (holding both selector wheels down on the steering column) and that didn't work.

Anyone have any suggestions? (Other than taking the car into the service center)

Greg

I suspect the sensor behind your charge door is misaligned. I'm guessing it requires a small service adjustment--not a software fix.

While the charge-port-open indicator is sometime due to sensor alignment issues, mine seems to be a defect with the charge port itself. Tesla service already replaced the port door, which did not correct my problem. They are scheduled to replace the charge port tomorrow (been waiting 3 weeks for part to arrive. Luckily, this has not caused any problems charging - only ties up 1/3 of my dashboard display.

Ah, the overly-clever charge-port door. For some reason, I've been routinely forgetting to close it, and seeing this warning.

It's a useful warning, but it would be more useful if you could close the door from inside the car. Something for Tesla to think about for future revisions to the Model S hardware.

I also had my first "can't open charge port" moment not long ago -- it had frozen shut. I managed to get it to pop open far enough that I was able to pry it open and break the ice, and it seems to work fine again now. Hopefully this won't be a recurring problem.