Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nine dollars and seventy-five cents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's see: spend $70 for something or continue to get all my updates for free by using my mobile hotspot (just as I have for every update for the past 13 months)

One word: nope
$70 so your garage has wifi for the rest of it's life....... Or fiddle around with using your mobile hotspot. Which means you're leaving your phone in the car, or having a separate hotspot. I bet that wifi will work for a good 4+ years, so you're looking at $1.50 a month savings. Congratulations. Hope you never have overage charges.

$70 so your garage has wifi for the rest of it's life....... Or fiddle around with using your mobile hotspot. Which means you're leaving your phone in the car, or having a separate hotspot. I bet that wifi will work for a good 4+ years, so you're looking at $1.50 a month savings. Congratulations. Hope you never have overage charges.
All but one download was successfully accomplished during my 22 mile commute. I've never had to leave my phone in my car.
Company pays for my phone, so I will never have overage charges. They also installed a NEMA 14-50 for me to charge.
What else ya got?

Or: Tesla could just not charge to provide software support for a car which primarily runs on *gasp*, software.

Seriously, how cheap can they get? Anyone who defends this crap is part of the problem and not the solution.
They aren't charging for software support. They are charging for the additional service (work) that they are forced to do for those who were too lazy to figure out how to do something so simple as to connect their car to a WiFi connection.

The reason they had to start charging for it is because too many people were taking advantage of filing a service ticket to DL the latest update. THAT was the problem.

They aren't charging for software support. They are charging for the additional service (work) that they are forced to do for those who were too lazy to figure out how to do something so simple as to connect their car to a WiFi connection.

The reason they had to start charging for it is because too many people were taking advantage of filing a service ticket to DL the latest update. THAT was the problem.
Then perhaps they should actually fix the system rather than band-aid it as a "revenue stream"

I'm all about more self-service options!

I'd be willing to bet that Tesla employees put in thousands of man hours per year handling all of their customer requests to push a software update out to people that just can't wait for it to come to them in turn.

Is it fair that Tesla should have to bear the brunt of that cost just to satisfy antsy customers that can't wait a few days?

No, it's not.

You want it early, pony up the ten bucks and be happy. They're under no obligation to even OFFER you the ability to get your software update out of turn. If I was Elon, I'd just remove this ability and be done with it. At least then he wouldn't have to put up with people whining about paying for early updates.

This sense of entitlement really triggers me, so I'll just end this post now.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet that Tesla employees put in thousands of man hours per year handling all of their customer requests to push a software update out to people that just can't wait for it to come to them in turn.

Is it fair that Tesla should have to bear the brunt of that cost just to satisfy antsy customers that can't wait a few days?

No, it's not.

You want it early, pony up the ten bucks and be happy. They're under no obligation to even OFFER you the ability to get your software update out of turn. If I was Elon, I'd just remove this ability and be done with it. At least then he wouldn't have to put up with people whining about paying for early updates.

This sense of entitlement really triggers me, so I'll just end this post now.
Naw buddy. That doesn’t fly when *every* version of the software is a essentially a beta.

2020.36 broke sentry mode, usb recognition and continually crashed the MCU on our X and the only thing that half-way fixed it was a hard push of the next revision. This was an alternative to leaving it with the service center for an indeterminate amount of time and occupying even more time and manpower.

This is not a good look for Tesla and while I doubt it’ll slow them down, it definitely puts another disclaimer to warn of when it comes time for me to recommend a BEV to others.

Naw buddy. That doesn’t fly when *every* version of the software is a essentially a beta.

2020.36 broke sentry mode, usb recognition and continually crashed the MCU on our X and the only thing that half-way fixed it was a hard push of the next revision. This was an alternative to leaving it with the service center for an indeterminate amount of time and occupying even more time and manpower.

This is not a good look for Tesla and while I doubt it’ll slow them down, it definitely puts another disclaimer to warn of when it comes time for me to recommend a BEV to others.
There are two different issues here.

1. A guy that just wants to get his software update early.

2. A guy that is having problems, likely software related.

Each has its own discussion points. I was referencing the first in my posts.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Or: Tesla could just not charge to provide software support for a car which primarily runs on *gasp*, software.

Seriously, how cheap can they get? Anyone who defends this crap is part of the problem and not the solution.
Anyone with this kind of entitlement and attitude, I wouldn't want as a customer for my business.

Then perhaps they should actually fix the system rather than band-aid it as a "revenue stream"

I'm all about more self-service options!
Nothing is broken!

Connect to Wifi and you download. It is the way the system is set up and it is the way the system works (quite well in fact). Tesla isn't responsible for YOUR connection.

You say you want self-service? That's EXACTLY what providing your own connection is! Putting in a service ticket to have Tesla DL it is FULL service and you should be paying for that.

Nothing is broken!

Connect to Wifi and you download. It is the way the system is set up and it is the way the system works (quite well in fact). Tesla isn't responsible for YOUR connection.

You say you want self-service? That's EXACTLY what providing your own connection is! Putting in a service ticket to have Tesla DL it is FULL service and you should be paying for that.

You act like them turning updates into a profit center is going to give the stock a 10% bump, I promise you, it won’t.. :D

Self-Service options are good, yes. I absolutely prefer it to waiting for weeks on end for a service appointment to become available unless of course it’s a major safety issue.

They could automate it where if you put in a service ticket for new SW regardless of the reason, a 0 gets flipped to a 1 automatically as long as the update is a) compatible, b) not known to be causing major issues. You don’t need an entire support centre to figure that out. ;)

You act like them turning updates into a profit center is going to give the stock a 10% bump, I promise you, it won’t. :D
Now we're talking about profit?!? While the ADDITIONAL COSTS (you know, since a Tesla employee has to take the time to satisfy an impatient entitled owner AND since you are now using additional LTE bandwidth that TESLA pays for) are most likely insignificant, I am pretty sure they added this fee as a DETERANT to people doing this.

Self-Service options are good, yes. I absolutely prefer it to waiting for weeks on end for a service appointment to become available unless of course it’s a major safety issue.
Now you're mixing up different issues. This thread is about the fee to have a Tesla employee do what you can be doing yourself. If you want to gripe about service, there are plenty of threads for that

They could automate it where if you put in a service ticket for new SW regardless of the reason, a 0 gets flipped to a 1 automatically as long as the update is a) compatible, b) not known to be causing major issues. You don’t need an entire support centre to figure that out. ;)
"Ah, it's just the flipping of a switch." Sorry, but this is just an ignorant and incorrect belief.

There’s no troll to it.
I presented a valid case where charging to push software is contrary to good customer service.

You don’t have to like it. You don’t even have to agree with it, but don’t pretend as if that situation is such a corner case that could only happen once in a blue moon during a hurricane. Anyone with real seat time in these cars knows just how temperamental they can get if something is screwy with the bits and bytes.