Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nine dollars and seventy-five cents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is funny how people deal with different issues. If I was in this situation it wouldn't even dawn on me to bother Tesla or complain about them. The issue is clearly on my end, meaning my wifi coverage is inadequate for the car to update. So I need to fix my problem. It could be as simple as relocating the router to get a better signal. Or improving my equipment, or installing an access point or repeater. I get that doing this to improve reception for the car is a hassle, but it is what I'd need to do. The car updates often enough that the effort is worth it in the long run. And as time goes on other cars are going to need to do the same thing as our Teslas. So may as well get wifi to the garage, you're going to need it.

Or as has been mentioned, drive to someplace with free wifi and update the car. Or tether to your phone. In the end, the time spent contacting Tesla and gnashing teeth over this should be spent to fix what's wrong. Why bother Tesla, not their problem.

It's kind of like buying a new laptop so you can work from home, and then complaining that the wifi on your laptop doesn't work in your home office, but buying equipment just to get that one laptop online that essentially will be a unitasker (not to mention where to place it) is senseless, stupid, and a waste of money.

And then five years later you buy another laptop! And still complain about not being able to use all the features of your laptop because you can't connect to with wifi. Oh well. At least solitaire works.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
I bought my 3, software updates via cellular was specifically mentioned in the description of what was included.

Premium Connectivity:
  • Satellite maps with live traffic visualization
  • In-car internet streaming music and media
  • More frequent over-the-air updates via cellular
  • Internet browser

While there is some wiggle room with "more frequent", unless the description was different when the op bought his car, If they are saying they will never push updates over cellular anymore without additional charge, that is clearly not providing what they sold.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I bought my 3, software updates via cellular was specifically mentioned in the description of what was included.

Premium Connectivity:
  • Satellite maps with live traffic visualization
  • In-car internet streaming music and media
  • More frequent over-the-air updates via cellular
  • Internet browser

While there is some wiggle room with "more frequent", unless the description was different when the op bought his car, If they are saying they will never push updates over cellular anymore without additional charge, that is clearly not providing what they sold.

You do get software updates over cellular... safety ones. It doesnt say "all" software updates over cellular. They push critical updates over cellular but certainly not all.

"more frequent" is vague enough to mean absolutely zero, in the scheme of things. getting 2 updates delivered over cellular in a year is more frequent than one a year for example, and fits that description, but does not fit the description of getting the approximately 1 update a month we get over cellular.

You do get software updates over cellular... safety ones. It doesnt say "all" software updates over cellular. They push critical updates over cellular but certainly not all.

"more frequent" is vague enough to mean absolutely zero, in the scheme of things. getting 2 updates delivered over cellular in a year is more frequent than one a year for example, and fits that description, but does not fit the description of getting the approximately 1 update a month we get over cellular.
It is true that more frequent is poorly defined. But if cars without premium connectivity also get those safety updates over cellular (which I suspect they do), then they are clearly not living up to any definition of "more" if that is all they will allow you to download over cellular.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
It is true that more frequent is poorly defined. But if cars without premium connectivity also get those safety updates over cellular (which I suspect they do), then they are clearly not living up to any definition of "more" if that is all they will allow you to download over cellular.

I understand what you are attempting to say, and am not trying to "argue" with you, but will again state that "more" is such a nebulous term that they can easily meet it (and its not one you can argue with them to provide an update for). You are correct that, at least in my understanding, safety updates come over cellular for everyone, when the update is defined as safety related.

I am not sure what criteria tesla has defined for updates over cellular for people with premium vs people without, but it would be a complete losing argument to go to them and say "I have premium connectivity so I expect you to push all the updates over cellular". It would likely be a losing argument to even say "I expect you to push THIS update over cellular".

They certainly might do it, depending on how they were approached (if you were at a service center, and asked vs demanded, etc), but I dont see where purchasing premium connectivity entitles anyone to any specific number of OTA updates via cellular.

Thats the point I am attemping to make here, in that your thought that because it says "more updates over cellular" that actually means anything more than marketing fluff.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
I expect you to push THIS update over cellular".

They certainly might do it, depending on how they were approached (if you were at a service center
You know, if you are parked in the lot of a service center, your car has most likely connected to the TeslaService wifi. Now, back in the day, that alone was enough to trigger a software update. Alas, it no longer does it. But any pending updates will certainly download quickly.

So yes, if you go into the service center, by the time you get to see a repair rep odds are that queue'd download will already be done.

One of my friends has a model 3 bought Dec 2018. That car has never been on WiFi ever. He lives in a hi-rise building with no cell coverage in the garage and his work parking has no WiFi coverage.

He still gets updates every couple of months. He’s never more than one or two “major” versions behind. By major I mean “WW” in 2020.WW.XX. He obviously doesn’t care about it that much. Basically every so often he comes out out from work and there’s the “current” update ready to go. Then he falls behind for a month or two, then gets current. He also pays for premium connectivity and has FSD.

I think if you want/need to live the no-wifi life, it’s just the way it’s going to be. It sucks they advertised “more frequent updates of LTE”, which it may be as I don’t know anyone without premium connectivity and without any wifi coverage to compare to

So you got two Teslas but don't have wifi at home... Priorities.
Not everyone has adequate WiFi coverage to where they park their Teslas. The OP stated that they don't have coverage in their garage.

I experimented with a couple of WiFi arrangements to get coverage to my garage (which is separated from my condo by two other condo units). When it became apparent that the next step would have been to get some very expensive specialty equipment, I decided that for my needs, connecting to my phone's hotspot when needed worked just fine.

So, I say the OP's priorities are just fine.

Reactions: jjrandorin