Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan Leaf as a battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be interesting to see if you can get the leaf integrated into your system and have it play nice with your powerwalls. I imagine that will be your greatest difficulty.
Fun challenge. May not work, but may. My assumption now is I would manually do the car, not worry about it being automatic like the powerwalls and generator.

I am assuming that if the powerwalls go dead, and PGE is dead, and I turn off my generator, I would just engage the v2x charger connected to the leaf and off I go. But, will this work? And how would if work when PGE comes back up. Lots of cool questions.

Fun challenge. May not work, but may. My assumption now is I would manually do the car, not worry about it being automatic like the powerwalls and generator.

I am assuming that if the powerwalls go dead, and PGE is dead, and I turn off my generator, I would just engage the v2x charger connected to the leaf and off I go. But, will this work? And how would if work when PGE comes back up. Lots of cool questions.
I just wonder how it would handle if the leaf is being charged at the time of a grid outage. I would guess you would drain your powerwalls to your leaf and after the powerwalls die the leaf would pickup. That would not be ideal but I think it would work.

I just wonder how it would handle if the leaf is being charged at the time of a grid outage. I would guess you would drain your powerwalls to your leaf and after the powerwalls die the leaf would pickup. That would not be ideal but I think it would work.
Great questions. I know, if I am home, if power goes out, I go around and turn everything off this is not a must. So if for some reason a car was charging, I would stop that. I have plenty of ice cars so hard an EV charged at all times is not a must.

My daughter just bought a brand new hybrid accord for 39K out the door, really really nice.

If I compare this to the Leaf, which is the same cost, wow, no comparison in quality. So buying an EV is still a toy compared to what you get for your money with a ICE car.

I assume you'd need a manual transfer switch for the Leaf.

Been spending a lot of time trying to think how this new charger would work. Meaning, with the gateways, if a power outage, they disconnect my house from the line, so generators, batteries or batteries, cannot spend power out to the dead PGE lines. So a EV, like the leaf or F150, seems to have to have the charger do the same function? If so, since I already have the gateways, have yet to come up with a way this would work for me. So, am I missing something?

Been spending a lot of time trying to think how this new charger would work. Meaning, with the gateways, if a power outage, they disconnect my house from the line, so generators, batteries or batteries, cannot spend power out to the dead PGE lines. So a EV, like the leaf or F150, seems to have to have the charger do the same function? If so, since I already have the gateways, have yet to come up with a way this would work for me. So, am I missing something?

Given you already have a large PW system, it seems most straight forward to just run the bi-directional DC charger in V2G (i.e. grid following) mode to provide supplemental AC power in parallel with your PW's as needed.

Given you already have a large PW system, it seems most straight forward to just run the bi-directional DC charger in V2G (i.e. grid following) mode to provide supplemental AC power in parallel with your PW's as needed.
Can you explain more what that means, and how it would work? This charge would have to be wired before my gateways and after the main breaker. So, if I were to lose power and use the leaf as a battery, it seems it is being dumped on a dead Main line from PGE, which I believe is a big no no?

But how would the separate systems coordinate together so as to not exceed the house load if off grid or the maximum export limit of on grid?

Can you explain more what that means, and how it would work? This charge would have to be wired before my gateways and after the main breaker. So, if I were to lose power and use the leaf as a battery, it seems it is being dumped on a dead Main line from PGE, which I believe is a big no no?

I was thinking you would connect the bi-directional DC charger after the gateway and only use during grid outages so there should be some appropriate control (e.g. manual or dry contact output from the gateway to close a contactor during grid outages). Assuming it's set for V2G mode, it should only activate when there is another independent AC power source (e.g. PW's during grid outages) working for it to detect and sync to and provide supplemental power to loads as needed. Kinda of like paralleling inverter generators. The setup assumes at least one of your PW's will be running during grid outages to be the grid forming inverter and curtail solar power as needed.

I personally don't care for the on-grid use case but the setup could likely be made to work while connected to the grid with some grid side limit control (e.g. CT on the grid connection to detect some grid import level to close the contactor) and you will also have to deal with grid interconnection agreement complexity.

I was thinking you would connect the bi-directional DC charger after the gateway and only use during grid outages so there should be some appropriate control (e.g. manual or dry contact output from the gateway to close a contactor during grid outages). Assuming it's set for V2G mode, it should only activate when there is another independent AC power source (e.g. PW's during grid outages) working for it to detect and sync to and provide supplemental power to loads as needed. Kinda of like paralleling inverter generators. The setup assumes at least one of your PW's will be running during grid outages to be the grid forming inverter and curtail solar power as needed.

I personally don't care for the on-grid use case but the setup could likely be made to work while connected to the grid with some grid side limit control (e.g. CT on the grid connection to detect some grid import level to close the contactor) and you will also have to deal with grid interconnection agreement complexity.
I really have no way to wire easily after the gateway. And since I have 2 gateways, it gets even worse, what part of my house would I use it for.

Hoping to hear from the co on how they recommend it being wired.