Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan Leaf as a battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another article about the Silverado and Sunpower. Sounds more like the Ford implementation (only V2H with grid isolating relay for backup).

I am getting more serious about maybe buying a leaf. Looks like this charger works for residential and will be shipping this year. Its not cheap, for a 2 head model, 8K, but what the heck.

I had a good chat with the sales guy at last years Solar & Charge live show at the NEC, he had a Nissan Leaf plugged in, you can charge two vehicles at the same time, with the ability to run you property off the cars battery, only being released in the states but they say it will be coming to the U.K.
Having a one box piece of kit to everything sound good to me.

Well, got my answer. Basically does not work with anything that is already installed.
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response!

I will respond to each relevant question/comment you raised below. 🙂

Self Installation:

While dcbel is designed to be simple to operate, installing the unit requires a licensed electrician. That’s why we partner with Smart Home Integration Partners (SHIPs) who are local experts in smart home energy for the installation. You will, however, work closely with the SHIP and have full visibility over the installation.

Tesla Powerwall:

dcbel does not currently support integration with the Tesla Powerwall. dcbel performs the DC to AC conversion using our patented PUC5 multi-level converter technology and thus, requires a DC input.

Tesla Compatibility:

dcbel r16 can currently fast-charge and solar-charge a Tesla through the use of an adapter. However, Tesla vehicles are not compatible with two-way power flow. Employing bidirectional charging would void Tesla’s warranty and cause technical issues with the vehicle.

Nissan Leaf:

You can charge and solar charge Nissan Leaf with dcbel r16. In terms of blackout power, currently, only EVs built to the CHAdeMO standard are compatible and with the most popular model being the Nissan Leaf (2013 model or later). It is a perfect match!

Connector Combination:

You can outfit a dcbel r16 with one of two connector combinations: AC J1772 and CHAdeMO, or AC J1772 and CCS. In other words, one AC connector and one DC connector are required. Bear in mind, however, that CCS vehicles can still be charged via a Level 2 AC J1772 connector.

Breaker:

dcbel r16 should be connected to a 120-volt main breaker panel and a breaker panel with enough room for the required breakers (ideally 200A or more). For more technical details and wiring diagrams, we encourage you to read our spec sheet and a more detailed user manual will be published soon. Stay tuned!

Wiring Diagram:

Availability:

We are currently taking reservations for installations for Q2-2023. We encourage you to reserve your unit here.

Finally, I do see you have requested a callback. Please select an appointment here.

Best regards,

The dcbel Team
This was super interesting - thanks! I reached out to dcbel about this product, which their website says is not yet available for sale in our region (Oregon). But if it comes to market, the prospect of tapping into our 2023 Nissan Leaf and the 40 KW battery during a power outage instead of buying a Powerwall (our house is a terrible candidate for solar - trust us, we've tried) is very enticing.

Reactions: h2ofun
The new Ford Lightnings would seem to be ideal for this, though prices keep going up. However the base config is 98 kWh, and the extended range is 131 kWh! The latter is like 10 powerwalls. Obviously, you don't get 70 kW inverter output, but for backup or load shifting, you don't need that.

There are rumors the 2023 model may be even bigger to compete against the Hummer EV, which is 200 kWh!

The new Ford Lightnings would seem to be ideal for this, though prices keep going up. However the base config is 98 kWh, and the extended range is 131 kWh! The latter is like 10 powerwalls. Obviously, you don't get 70 kW inverter output, but for backup or load shifting, you don't need that.

There are rumors the 2023 model may be even bigger to compete against the Hummer EV, which is 200 kWh!
Unfortunately only the upper level F-150 config support home power. Not the cheap $55K version I have on order.

Marketing is right. It is in the fine print... I think they subcontract with SunPower to do the install.

Where do you see this? It's true the Pro doesn't come with the 80 Amp charger, but that can be bought separately. From what I understand the vehicle doesn't come with an inverter for V2G, it routes DC out through the 80 amp charger to the Sunrun inverter. So there should not be a difference in models on this point.

Where do you see this? It's true the Pro doesn't come with the 80 Amp charger, but that can be bought separately. From what I understand the vehicle doesn't come with an inverter for V2G, it routes DC out through the 80 amp charger to the Sunrun inverter. So there should not be a difference in models on this point.
That would be great. The Ford documentation I have read seemed to be unclear about V2H except on the Platinum. Do you have a link there they spell this out? Also, an info on integrating with existing Powerwalls would be interesting.

Last edited:
That would be great. The Ford documentation I have read seemed to be unclear about V2H except on the Platinum. Do you have a link there they spell this out? Also, an info on integrating with existing Powerwalls would be interesting.
So far I have seen nothing with the V2H stuff being able to integrate with powerwalls. Seems they basically are all coming from a person is starting from scratch. Now, ideally, yep, would have just bought a humvee. Overall would have been cheaper than powerwalls

I've been chatting with dcbel about the r16 and thought I'd pass along a few points of information for anyone in a similar situation (cannot get solar due to location and shading at our house, but interested in using the dcbel r16 to tap into our 2023 Leaf battery if needed during a power outage).

We are currently taking reservations from customers in California and NY, and the installation is going to start in spring 2023.
With dcbel r16, you can leverage this incredible resource to power your home for dozens of hours during a blackout. dcbel can currently deliver up to 7.6kW from the EV in the blackout. However, depending on the EV manufacturer, that power will be more limited to 5kW or 6kW.
Yes, deliveries are slated to begin in spring 2023 for customers in CA and NY. We will continue to expand to new regions and states over the course of 2023 based on demand.

A 2013 (or newer) Leaf is built to the CHAdeMO standard allowing for bidirectional power flow ‘out of the box'. Nissan’s North American bidirectional program is currently limited to commercial chargers only, and we are working with them to bring bidirectional power flow to the residential market in the very near future 😉, stay tuned! Rest assured that we will only install Nissan-authorized r16s to Leaf owners. 😊
We would like to offer dcbel Home Energy Station as a V2X charger only in the future, but this is not a priority use case for dcbel in the short term as we have clear milestones to reach in terms of proving the value of our integrated solar + bidirectional EV charging system.

I’m sure this information is disappointing to learn, but we want to be 100% transparent so you can make the best decision.
We have received an increasing amount of customers showing interest in OR, which might speed up our rollout in your area. We will keep you posted on our progress.
dcbel customers can charge any EV! However, CCS vehicles do not allow for bidirectional power flow for now. Once these standards are formally revised, dcbel hardware can integrate the bidirectional charging protocol changes via a small over-the-air update.

When it comes to vehicle-to-home (V2H) backup power, you may have noticed that a handful of new EVs now features this two-way power option. We think it’s only a matter of time before all EVs are capable of bidirectional power. dcbel r16 customers will be some of the first homeowners to enjoy V2H thanks to our future-proof technology.

I've been chatting with dcbel about the r16 and thought I'd pass along a few points of information for anyone in a similar situation (cannot get solar due to location and shading at our house, but interested in using the dcbel r16 to tap into our 2023 Leaf battery if needed during a power outage).
same response I got. Unless one starts from scratch, do not see it worth it

I continue to look around for a solution, but at best, I see lots of 2024 dates.
Just seems one would to drive into a Tesla gateway just like the batteries or solar do today.
Too bad tesla has not decided to take the lead in this area