Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan Leaf as a battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
So, this seems to be a much cheaper and great capacity solution than batteries? I am trying to find cost of charger and specs to hook up.

More than simply a generator, the bi-directional charger is actually hooked up to the grid, allowing it to send energy back into the power grid in states with utility demand response programs, which could allow owners to get paid for their power.

Reactions: garrity
Unless you already have a leaf sitting around, I dont think its cheaper. A leaf is like 27-28k MSRP for 40kWh battery. I doubt you can buy one for MSRP, and that doesnt count taxes etc or installation of this new bi directional charger (with whatever they are going to sell as a transfer switch along with it, etc).

So, at a minimum, 30-35k for 40kWh. Thats not cheaper than powerwalls or any other home battery install, I dont think.

Unless you already have a leaf sitting around, I dont think its cheaper. A leaf is like 27-28k MSRP for 40kWh battery. I doubt you can buy one for MSRP, and that doesnt count taxes etc or installation of this new bi directional charger (with whatever they are going to sell as a transfer switch along with it, etc).

So, at a minimum, 30-35k for 40kWh. Thats not cheaper than powerwalls or any other home battery install, I dont think.
powerwalls I have seen are like 15K each. So, for 36K, you get a 60kw battery. But, you get a 7.5K federal rebate. So lets say 30K for
60kw battery. For tesla batteries, its pushing 60K cost, and they cannot be driven. And it sounds like it is both V2H and V2G?
Is interesting enough that I am looking into the charger cost. If I could get another 60kw of batteries for a net of 35K, and can also use it as
a car with free energy, since I have so much solar already, well, seems worth looking into as another option?

Reactions: charlesj
powerwalls I have seen are like 15K each. So, for 36K, you get a 60kw battery. But, you get a 7.5K federal rebate. So lets say 30K for
60kw battery. For tesla batteries, its pushing 60K cost, and they cannot be driven. And it sounds like it is both V2H and V2G?
Is interesting enough that I am looking into the charger cost. If I could get another 60kw of batteries for a net of 35K, and can also use it as
a car with free energy, since I have so much solar already, well, seems worth looking into as another option?

Thats powerwall + Marked up installation fee. A powerwall itself is like 7500 or 8k.

Thats powerwall + Marked up installation fee. A powerwall itself is like 7500 or 8k.
I know. Find someone who will install at that price!!! I am talking out the door price for each.. Even at 8K, times 4 would make the cost closer to the same.

Again, just an interesting option to get V2H and v2g in 60kw, and you can drive it for less than the installed price of the same amount of batteries, I think?
Fair comparison?

I know. Find someone who will install at that price!!! I am talking out the door price for each.. Even at 8K, times 4 would make the cost closer to the same.

Again, just an interesting option to get V2H and v2g in 60kw, and you can drive it for less than the installed price of the same amount of batteries, I think?
Fair comparison?

You will have to let us know what the installed cost is, and also what the capability / capacity / power export limits are. Unless it has similar capacity for export power (supporting 240v loads like AC, etc), then no I wouldnt consider it a fair comparison as for what my needs would be, but others needs may be different.

may not be cheaper but less headache with permitting, PTO, installation locations, bollard issues, etc. :D

40kW for the base model, and 60kW for the higher end model:

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 3.03.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 3.05.15 PM.png

40kW for the base model, and 60kW for the higher end model:

View attachment 850811

View attachment 850812
Yep. I know someone with 2 new leafs and he bought the cheaper. He told me to NEVER do that, the range with 40kw makes the car just about unusable.
Yep, MSPR for the 60 is 37K. But it gets a 7500 rebate so no only 29500 before all the other fees. If the charger is 5K, fair, it over, ....