Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I guess I was assuming that the battery was supposed to retain some minimum capacity under the warranty. A quick search seems to indicate that that is not the case.

Not exactly a warranty statement but:
In Race to Market, Nissans Electric Car Takes Shortcuts | Autopia | Wired.com
...Mark Perry, Nissan’s director of product planning for the United States, dismissed the importance of active thermal management.

“We don’t need thermal management for the U.S., but we are looking at the technology for Dubai and other locations like that…. We’ve gone on the record saying that the pack has a 70 to 80 percent capacity after 10 years,” he told Wired.com. Pressed on whether that is realistic for a passively cooled manganese oxide pack, Perry said yes...

I remember hearing about a fan early on and wasn't aware they had gotten rid of it.

Regarding the battery warranty, here's what I found with my cursory search:

Shortly after Chevrolet announced that the Volt would come with a battery warranty of 8 years, 100,000 miles, Nissan followed suit saying also would offer 8/100 coverage themselves.

So when GM detailed just how their warranty would work in practice (which was basically that the pack was covered to not lose anymore than 10%-30% of its total capacity0depending on the age/mileage of the vehicle), we wondered if Nissan would offer something similar in the LEAF.

During a seemingly innocuous interview with Autoblog Green late last week, Mark Perry, who is Nissan’s Director of Product Planning, seems to have given us the answer. And unfortunately, the answer is no, it does not work the same:

“The warranty is not related to battery capacity. The warranty is related to motor output. So if the battery has degraded to a point where the motor can’t get enough power from the battery, then it’s a warrantable event. But if someone abuses the battery – parks it outside in 140 degrees and all that – and they have 60 percent capacity after eight years, that’s on them. They abused it.”
(As FYI, the LEAF has a expected retained capacity of 70%-80% at the 8 year mark)

And that is it…no further explanation given. From the sounds of that, you could theoretically have a LEAF that is only getting 50 miles range in year two, but if you took it to Nissan to say there was a problem, they basically test the car to see if the battery can still operate the motor at optimal performance for those 50 miles, and if it does, you are out of luck.
/ouch
Nissan LEAF Battery Warranty Update

That's really double speak!!! If you can't store it then it can't have the output!!
It warranties power output (the car has to perform as it does out of the factory in that regard), but it explicitly excludes capacity:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...Revealed/page2?p=119510&viewfull=1#post119510

The Volt's warranty is not much better (although the technician can replace a battery for capacity reasons, so it's not explicitly excluding it, although the warranty provides no hard numbers and your replacement battery will only have as much capacity as your original battery did when it "failed"):
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/5130-BMW-i/page11?p=126090&viewfull=1#post126090

Last edited:
As a Leaf owner, I personally am shocked at the way Nissan has dealt with this and I think it will turn into a disaster if they don't do something quickly to rekindle confidence in the product. the mood on MNL has taken a distinct turn for the worse. There are multiple Pheonix owners that are seeing a second of 12 capacity bars lost, over 20% within about a year. The most alarming part is that the second capacity bar, about 7%, is dropping in a matter of weeks after the first, one owner reports the second bar disappearing only 1,000 miles after the first. While Nissan is quite up front in the purchase process about their not being a guarantee on the capacity, there is nothing in the purchase process that alerts a buyer to the potential for a 20+ % loss in a year due to climate. Nissan could be handling these extreme cases in a much different way, but instead they are stating that the loss is "normal". Nissan will have no trouble proving they have no legal liability, however, loyalty in the brand is plummeting and that's all that matters when it comes to scoring sales. It's really a shame.

Actually at some point of capacity loss the pack will not be able to deliver the guaranteed amount of power because it will be a higher relative C rate. If capacity is dropping that quickly in the heat there may be an accelerated loss compounded by pulling higher and higher relative C rates from a shrinking pack capacity. Some of those people with the most capacity loss should do some performance tests to see if there is any drop yet. I'd bet Nissan is going to have to replace those packs at one point or another, they would save themselves some grief by being proactive.

I just SOLD my LEAF. Why? Well, Im in Texas. It is hottern Hell here, and even though I had one year, and 13000 miles of 100% capacity, and my first year Battery Test was 5 stars, I just couldnt believe the AZ and TX and Las Vegas stories, and the fact that I BOUGHT the Nissan sales pitch "that our battery is 20 years in the making, and our battery is READY..." and that the simple air induction cooling was sufficient. So. I decided to cut my losses. The intent was to originally buy a LEAF, and see how I did. Training wheels if you could analogy the thought. Then, the plan was to buy a TESLA. After that, Elon Musk was asked about the Nissan Leaf, and its battery in particular. He said of the battery system, I believe, It's Primitive . What a shift in my thinking occurred after he said THAT. So, after all that, and seeing not ONE but now TWO bars on people's Leafs disappearing, I am glad that I GOT OUT. The Nissan people have a major debacle on their hands. Wow, and a BIG factory coming on line to produce EDSELS. Yes, I am old enough to know about how those cars were marketed, and then watched them crater on the streets of my home town in and around 1960. The range was insufficient to do much with them also. I fretted about how I treated my pack. How to charge it. Fretted about using too much energy, so I was always in the slow lane. This just doesnt have to be, so I ditched the training wheels, because I LEARNED extensively, on the LEAF, and now, in a positive light, my plan, to learn about EV driving has been a steep curve, but a good one. Now, I know HOW TO RIDE THIS BIKE. Consequently, I executed the rest of my plan, and ordered a TESLA S..... I am #8,742

But lets think about this issue a little further. if Nissan starts replacing these packs that have lost one bar of capacity, what kind of precedent does that set? That tells people that as soon as their pack loses a bar, go to Nissan and they'll give you a brand new battery! Sure, some people say it is too early to lose this much capacity. But where exactly do you draw the line? Obviously if Nissan has to start giving a brand new battery to every Leaf owner in Phoenix it would be best just to stop selling the car there.

I'm happy to report that my Leaf here in Ft.Worth still has all of its capacity bars. Last year it was over 100 degrees every day for several months. Many of those days reached 110. I've had my Leaf for 15 months and 11,500 miles. I've charged to 100% most of its life. However, I'll confess that I suspect I've lost about 5 miles of capacity. I only say that because longer trips that I used to make last year to the other side of town would have me coming home with around 27 miles left. The same trip this Summer under similar conditions is leaving me with 23 miles. I know that isn't scientific, but it is noticeable.

I have started charging to 80% recently. There really is no excuse with my short commute. It seemed a bit awkward at first because I'd be coming home from work every day with the battery reading around 60 miles instead of the 80 or more I was used to seeing. However, now I've gotten used to it and I'm fine with it. In fact, so far I've had only one occasion when I knew I'd be going further and had to hit the charge-timer button (to turn it off) to make sure I got a full charge for the next morning.

Also worth mentioning. if I do drop a capacity bar, it is not going to be a big deal. Again, my commute is so short and even my "longer trips" would still be viable as long as the car could do 60 miles per charge. I think it will be a while before I'll have anything to worry about. Even though my car is leased I still plan to purchase the car at the end of my lease. I'm that confident in the car and that it will continue to meet my needs for years to come.

Good point, and it's possible that Nissan thinks the capacity drop may stabilize somewhat, which is consistent with some cycle life graphs I've seen, which go almost flat around 70% of original capacity, but that also depends on the cell chemistry. Nissan has been working with lithium for a long time so they may know what they are doing. I certainly hope so.

I am a happy NissanLeaf owner for the past 16 Months (so-cal resident) , I recently reserved (P9666) Model S (85k, Panoroof, Audio, TwinCharger, AirSuspension ). I am betting on all 100% Electric vehicles in my household.

I would like to hear from anyone out-there to suggest/comment on possible issues in a household without a gas based car ??

I am a happy NissanLeaf owner for the past 16 Months (so-cal resident) , I recently reserved (P9666) Model S (85k, Panoroof, Audio, TwinCharger, AirSuspension ). I am betting on all 100% Electric vehicles in my household.

I would like to hear from anyone out-there to suggest/comment on possible issues in a household without a gas based car ??

Funny, I have done exactly the same thing. Bought a Leaf, loved it, now (today) reserved a Model S to replace our other car (VW TDI). Haven't gotten a sequence number yet though, just the reservation number.

With the 85kWh range I don't see any issues with a EV only household, the one issue I do have is no hitch available on either car. I'll have so resort to swapping cars with my parents when the hitch is needed. Hopefully not that often, since the S at least can be fitted with a roof rack.

We've been all electric since 2010 (since 2009 really, it just took us a while to sell the last gasser). We have a 2002 Toyota RAV4-EV, a 2008 Tesla Roadster and a 2011 Nissan Leaf. We drive the Leaf the most in the winter, the heated steering wheel is so decadent! The Roadster gets more use in the summer. The RAV is a collector's item, and with the NiMH batteries doesn't seem to have any shelf life issue, so it gets used occasionally when we need a little more cargo space or a little more range than the Leaf. I expect the RAV will last us another 10 years.

The biggest problem we've had is having to fill the wiper fluid ourselves because the EVs aren't constantly going in for oil changes.

If we need something more than what the EVs can do, we could always borrow a friend's car or rent something. So far, that hasn't happened. YMMV.

Ditto ... totally unwarranted post.

I love my Leaf ... had it a month ... "upgraded" from Lexus. So glad I did.

I will "love" my "S" more but the Leaf will have been proven to be a great "education" for the year while I wait.

Do you have one?

If so, why do you think it "sucks so bad"?

With the 85kWh range I don't see any issues with a EV only household, the one issue I do have is no hitch available on either car. I'll have so resort to swapping cars with my parents when the hitch is needed. Hopefully not that often, since the S at least can be fitted with a roof rack.
I know some people have put hitches on LEAF's, and I'm pretty sure the same could be done with the S. I've put hitches on cars that were never made for them. One was a Chevy Citation, I just drilled a hole in the bumper and bolted on a hitch ball to tow my boat :scared: Ah youth.

I think that the LEAF is a fine car and if I didn't have my parents living 180 miles away, I'd have one as my only car. As it is I need to wait for a Model S, but I should probably buy a house first since I have no place to charge it, so maybe after house buying I'll buy a LEAF as a second car because I won't have as much money left for an S. We'll see.