Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan manufactured CHAdeMO 25kW limitation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw a post on Facebook from a well known EV advocate. They ran into a contractor doing upgrades to a Nissan CHAdeMO unit to address the overheating issue. It was implied that they had a contract to do this work to a significant number of installed chargers. In the picture you could clearly see that the old fans and filters had been removed and set aside (ie. discarded) but none of the new parts were visible.

Tesla email said:
Bei einigen Stationen wie zum Beispiel Nissan ist es zur Zeit bekannt das Tesla von der Ladestation Seite limitiert wird.
Wir haben schon Kontakt mit diesen Herstellern aufgenommen und die Informiert.

Eine Verbesserung ist in Arbeit, muss aber von Hersteller (zum Beispiel Nissan) ausgeführt werden.
Machine translation:
At some stations, like for example Nissan it currently known the Tesla is limited by the charging station page.
We have recorded already contact with these manufacturers and informed.

An improvement is in the works, but it must be run by manufacturer (for example, Nissan).

I just saw a post on Facebook from a well known EV advocate. They ran into a contractor doing upgrades to a Nissan CHAdeMO unit to address the overheating issue. It was implied that they had a contract to do this work to a significant number of installed chargers. In the picture you could clearly see that the old fans and filters had been removed and set aside (ie. discarded) but none of the new parts were visible.
Update: this contractor may only be working on NRG operated stations in California. However, there are apparently new filters (different design?) available to all operators.

The discrepancy of some getting 40 kW while others are capped at 25 kW is happening not only on the same model of Nissan hardware, but also on the same units at the same locations. Therefore, I don't think it is caused by station firmware.

An example is the CHAdeMO at ATC Drivetrain North in Oklahoma City:
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/14299

TrueEV (a TMC Member) and Jay both got over 100A with the adapter at this location, but I had the dreaded 60-70A cap.

The positive is that none of the Nissan CHAdeMO stations overheated or otherwise stopped working while I used them.

RiverBrick -

Indeed we did not experience this challenge on our trip. We used three different CHAdeMO charging stations, the one you note and the following:

KC Public Library | KCMO, MO | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Starbucks | Olathe, KS | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

We were able to get 124a and 383v on the high end and 106a and 344v on the low end at each of the locations. As a note, none of the locations we used were Nissan locations. They were either independent (the one in OKC) or were part of the KC Power and light installations.

As for the firmware it was the version just before the new 6.2 that they just pushed on 5/3 (in the US).

Hope this helps!

TruEV

Maybe an older firmware in the car ?

Yet in this thread, you can see someone from Boston running 6.2, yet being able to draw 37.5 kW from a Nissan station. (The same person that posted on plugshare).

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/46836-CHAdeMO-error-tracking-thread

Are they somehow less restrictive with capping USA-spec vehicles?

- - - Updated - - -

Could be one charged at a cool part of the morning or late night and the other charged in the day?

It's probably worth testing, though there's likely something else going on. My six Nissan sessions (all capped) were mostly when it was warm (4x in California) but there was one instance where it was rather cool at night in Missouri. This was at the Nissan dealer in St. Charles (close to then under construction Supercharger.) It's another site where some people get the full 37-40 kW, so I'm starting to wonder if having a Canadian-spec S is a disadvantage at these locations.

The limit has nothing to do with outside temperatures. I have seen limited charging power when temperature was way below freezing. Cars with older 6.0 (1.xx.xx) firmware can charge without the limit. Newer firmware releases have limit.

Yes I think I have a newer version now. I'll try to get over to that charger again, see what it does and report back.

-m

Hi all,

I made it back to that Nissan charger tonight.

95 rm remaining, 38%
107a 358v
38kw charge rate

My car is on 2.4.188. My CHAdeMO adapter has not had a firmware update since I purchased it.

WP_20150519_001.jpg

Hi all,

I made it back to that Nissan charger tonight.

95 rm remaining, 38%
107a 358v
38kw charge rate

My car is on 2.4.188...

Thanks for the update. More evidence is coming in that USA-Spec vehicles do not have this 25 kW restriction. For instance, currently there are three Nissan units along 405 km gap between Superchargers in Hookset, NH and Montreal. Bostonians get 37kW-40kW on them. Montrealers only 25 kW.

My belief is that this limitation is being imposed via a database of known DBT chargers uploaded to the cars, i.e. the limit is controlled by GPS (just like with regular charging - if you configure a current limit the car remembers it in future). I am not sure there is anything in the CHAdeMO signaling that reliably allows the car to determine it's talking to a DBT charger.

It would be fascinating to hear a report from a location where a DBT charger and another brand of charger are located side by side.

In the UK it seems that most DBT chargers only operate at 25kW with the Model S but a few go up to 40kW+. I suspect these are simply omissions from the list of DBT sites that TM have created to manage this issue.

UK owners have been told that DBT are working on improvements to the chargers that will be rolled out across the UK over time.