Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ EV Vehicle Rebate Budget Cut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not a finance or legal person, based on what I understand NJ Board of Public Utilities i.e. PSEG etc just readjusted their budget cycle to match the state's fiscal year budget cycle of September 2020. NJ has a requirement to balance their budget every year which meant NJBPU gave unspent money until Sept 2020 back into the pool to assist for COVID relief.

Yes I agree long term funding maybe in question but then NJBPU is funding all of this through the tarriff's it collects through your utility bills. September will be the time to see what happens next for FY 2021

you seem to have a better understanding than i do, so your saying this shouldnt affect the rebate until at least september?

Also if we said the only rebates they gave out were $5k Tesla ones and nothing less, then if they’ve executed 2320 rebates to date, that means they do about 310 per month (2320/7.5 months). If they’ve got 480 rebates left to give that would give the program another life of at least into early October.
They started accepting applications in the first week of June.

Also, there should be more scrutiny so that it cant be misused which in turn can help in reducing the number of applications

Once the rebate check is received, not sure how some these current requirements are enforced or tracked

- Applicants are required to remain a resident of New Jersey for at least two (2) years after the purchase

- Recipients of the rebate must retain ownership or an active lease agreement and registration of the vehicle in New Jersey for a minimum of 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date.

Any word on when the point of sale program might launch?
Nothing yet. Here's what I received via email while following up on an existing application:

"As for the second phase of the program, I do not have an update for the launch of the Point of Purchase incentive. I know the team is actively working on the details, but no date has been issued yet. You can check the website listed below for updates."

Reactions: srk67
Nothing yet. Here's what I received via email while following up on an existing application:

"As for the second phase of the program, I do not have an update for the launch of the Point of Purchase incentive. I know the team is actively working on the details, but no date has been issued yet. You can check the website listed below for updates."

Isn't it the same program but they just haven't been able to implement the point of sale portion yet?

So if the funds run out for the mail in program, wouldn't that also mean they run out for the point of sale?

i picked up my car on friday and submitted the ev rebate application same day. i was app #2810. if every app was approved for a 5k rebate that would put the fudning used at over $14M. the total budget this year is 14M.

obviously not everybody is getting the full $5k but i would say i is getting pretty close to being depleted. i emailed them and the rep said that your funds are reserved once your app is submitted.

NJ's fiscal year ends 9/30/2020. That is the funding that got cut - FY20, not calendar year.
That said, they DO still have funds available.
Any applications approved in September will be paid using 2020 money, *unless* it runs out. IF that happens, they will use 2021 funds. This is direct from the program administrators.

It means nothing to us end users at this point - really. Worst thing could be a few week delay, but even that isn't likely since we're so close to the end of the fiscal year.

Buy the car, don't worry about it and you WILL get your rebate dollars. The only thing the "funding cut" means is they will have less 2020 surplus funds. It's all just a shell game anyway.

So it seems like its too late if you haven't created an order on tesla.com yet, as it takes a few weeks for delivery. Correct?

If we want to position ourselves for getting a rebate for 2021, we should wait to reserve a car in late november/early december?

No - you do not have to wait. 2021, as far as this program is concerned, begins October 1, 2020. It's based on fiscal year.

Go ahead and order - you will be fine!

To quote: "
if funds run out this budget year, they will be replenished in the next budget sometime in October. So the only impact if funds were to run out this year would be a longer wait time for the check. Current applications are being approved in 2-3 weeks and their current turn time for getting out a check is about 90 days from when the application was submitted (assuming no issues with the application). I also emailed them last night and got the following response: Hello,
Thank you for your email and interest in Charge Up New Jersey. I can confirm that we are actively accepting and processing applications at this time. For any updates on funding and changes to the program contact New Jersey’s Board of Public Utilities or check their page for updates and press releases as they become available, here.
Ann King
Charge Up New Jersey Staff
Center for Sustainable Energy®
Office: (877) 426-2474
[email protected]
chargeup.njcleanenergy.com
"

No - you do not have to wait. 2021, as far as this program is concerned, begins October 1, 2020. It's based on fiscal year.

Go ahead and order - you will be fine!

To quote: "
if funds run out this budget year, they will be replenished in the next budget sometime in October. So the only impact if funds were to run out this year would be a longer wait time for the check. Current applications are being approved in 2-3 weeks and their current turn time for getting out a check is about 90 days from when the application was submitted (assuming no issues with the application). I also emailed them last night and got the following response: Hello,
Thank you for your email and interest in Charge Up New Jersey. I can confirm that we are actively accepting and processing applications at this time. For any updates on funding and changes to the program contact New Jersey’s Board of Public Utilities or check their page for updates and press releases as they become available, here.
Ann King
Charge Up New Jersey Staff
Center for Sustainable Energy®
Office: (877) 426-2474
[email protected]
chargeup.njcleanenergy.com
"

thanks for the response. Very informative!

this might be a dumb question, but are we 100% sure that there will be a budget for the EV program in 2021?

given the expected budget shortages caused by lower tax revenues ( due to COVID), is it possible that the state can not fund the program in 21?