Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ EV Vehicle Rebate Budget Cut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we need a NJ license to apply for the rebate? I live in NJ (recently moved) but my driver's license is from IL. Can I submit my apartment lease or utility bill to show I'm NJ resident?

Yes, a NJ driver’s license is needed. Everyone’s equation is different, but for me - $5000 would be worth a morning at the MVC to switch my license.

798DACC5-B2FD-4A9F-8A66-7584D59F6290.jpeg

Reactions: Reborn
thanks for the response. Very informative!

this might be a dumb question, but are we 100% sure that there will be a budget for the EV program in 2021?

given the expected budget shortages caused by lower tax revenues ( due to COVID), is it possible that the state can not fund the program in 21?

Yes - it’s pretty solid. Given that the program is mandated by law (P.L.2019, c.362) - it would take a pretty massive effort to have no program in 2021. I’d say it’s as safe as any other government program ....

Do we need a NJ license to apply for the rebate? I live in NJ (recently moved) but my driver's license is from IL. Can I submit my apartment lease or utility bill to show I'm NJ resident?

You need to provide some kind of an acceptable ID showing you are a resident, this link should help you Home | Charge Up New Jersey

You can always email them with questions, they are very good at responding

I have been chasing NJ BPU, Clean Energy, and PowerUp NJ for an answer on the budget and what happens if I order now and 2020 funds are depleted? Does the rebate get pushed to 2021 and that budget? Or am I out of luck for 2020 because funds are depleted and "thanks for playing"

I started asking nearly two weeks ago and keep getting passed in a circle between agencies or getting crickets. Clean Energy and Power Up are very responsive but they say NJ BPU needs to confirm. However, NJ BPU does not respond or acknowledge inquiries from the web link provided for questions - nor return messages left on the phone line. I first contacted NJ BPU about 9 days ago.

Clean Energy or Power Up did say that the program is signed into law as a 10-year program so it will definitely be there in some form in 2021 but could not address specifics on the budget cut this year and impact - nor what it means in 2021. So I am a bit frustrated. The $5K factors large on whether I buy now or not.

I have been chasing NJ BPU, Clean Energy, and PowerUp NJ for an answer on the budget and what happens if I order now and 2020 funds are depleted? Does the rebate get pushed to 2021 and that budget? Or am I out of luck for 2020 because funds are depleted and "thanks for playing"

I started asking nearly two weeks ago and keep getting passed in a circle between agencies or getting crickets. Clean Energy and Power Up are very responsive but they say NJ BPU needs to confirm. However, NJ BPU does not respond or acknowledge inquiries from the web link provided for questions - nor return messages left on the phone line. I first contacted NJ BPU about 9 days ago.

Clean Energy or Power Up did say that the program is signed into law as a 10-year program so it will definitely be there in some form in 2021 but could not address specifics on the budget cut this year and impact - nor what it means in 2021. So I am a bit frustrated. The $5K factors large on whether I buy now or not.

The answer one of our Tesla Club members (you should join! www.dvto.club) got was that if the funds are depleted in FY2020, any approved rebates would be paid in FY2021. That starts 10/1. Might be a little delay, but you will get the rebate.

Reactions: MrWattson
The answer one of our Tesla Club members (you should join! www.dvto.club) got was that if the funds are depleted in FY2020, any approved rebates would be paid in FY2021. That starts 10/1. Might be a little delay, but you will get the rebate.

I went for a test drive yesterday of the Model Y and am planning to place an order in the beginning of October. After the drive my Tesla Advisor e-mailed me the following note...

"if you wanted to take delivery this month, you would need to place your $100 by tonight. Orders placed after may not be delivered until November and the NJ EV rebate may run out of funds by then. I can't speak in too much depth about the rebate other than you do need to apply for it once you take delivery of the vehicle. You can read more about the rebate here- Home | Charge Up New Jersey"

...so either they are under the impression that the rebates can run out and you must order blindly hoping to be lucky OR they were just trying to push to get my order to better their quarterly numbers. Some of the comments in this thread seem quite confident that getting the rebate will be a non-issue. Has anyone actually gotten a real answer from the BPU directly? Or is all this information coming out of the clean energy department?

P.S. I'd happily join the dvto.club and participate in the conversation there as well, but since I don't have a reservation number yet that is not possible it seems.

I went for a test drive yesterday of the Model Y and am planning to place an order in the beginning of October. After the drive my Tesla Advisor e-mailed me the following note...

"if you wanted to take delivery this month, you would need to place your $100 by tonight. Orders placed after may not be delivered until November and the NJ EV rebate may run out of funds by then. I can't speak in too much depth about the rebate other than you do need to apply for it once you take delivery of the vehicle. You can read more about the rebate here- Home | Charge Up New Jersey"

...so either they are under the impression that the rebates can run out and you must order blindly hoping to be lucky OR they were just trying to push to get my order to better their quarterly numbers. Some of the comments in this thread seem quite confident that getting the rebate will be a non-issue. Has anyone actually gotten a real answer from the BPU directly? Or is all this information coming out of the clean energy department?

P.S. I'd happily join the dvto.club and participate in the conversation there as well, but since I don't have a reservation number yet that is not possible it seems.

Best bet is to call or email the Charge Up NJ program administrators:

(877) 426-2474
[email protected]

(877) 426-2474
[email protected]
All they could tell me is that they are accepting and processing applications and that the program is signed into law for 10 years. But could not address funding levels. They said I need to contact the NJ BPU for funding confirmation. ChargeUp was very responsive. BPU is silence...no response.

All they could tell me is that they are accepting and processing applications and that the program is signed into law for 10 years. But could not address funding levels. They said I need to contact the NJ BPU for funding confirmation. ChargeUp was very responsive. BPU is silence...no response.

I was trying to wait for the heat pump to be added to the M3 before ordering anyway. I think it might be a safe bet to wait until October, to see how funding for Fy 21 pans out before going ahead with the order.

(877) 426-2474
[email protected]

So I called them and just as others have noted they were a pleasure to speak with. They noted that at this time they have not reached a limit on funds and are continuing to process applications. Sounds like they intend to warn the public in some capacity if they do get close to some Max, but it was unclear how they would communicate such a situation. I think much of the money side of this is out of their control and they are just doing their best to handle the apps they get. Interestingly they noted that phase 2 was supposed to be happening in summer and would be happening “soon” so it would become the dealerships responsibility to apply for the rebate on a buyers behalf. Last thing of note is that they are still planning on the $500 rebate for charging equipment at home, but that won’t come until after phase 2 is implemented.

I did try to contact the BPU as well but no response there sadly.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
We got the model Y on 9/19 and applied for the rebate a day or two later. Just got an approval email yesterday on 10/22. From what I hear, it'll take a month or two to get the check once approved. Now we are just waiting for $500 charging station rebate info to come out...

Is the home charging rebate likely to be retroactive to an extent? Since I received my VIN this week, I went ahead and ordered the home charger. I saw that the website said 'coming' but little else. That being said, I could not wait longer.