Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Auto Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Widely known. Sorry about that. Hadn't picked up on that while reading threads over the past month. My bad.

I was aware that the new functions wouldn't be usable until later in the month but wasn't aware that the vehicle would have zero auto pilot abilities until then.

Widely known. Sorry about that. Hadn't picked up on that while reading threads over the past month. My bad.

I was aware that the new functions wouldn't be usable until later in the month but wasn't aware that the vehicle would have zero auto pilot abilities until then.
Definitely understand the disappointment. On the bright side, once you're enabled, you're going to drive circles around me and my AP1 vehicle - without much effort!

The Mobileye split meant Tesla is starting over on building their neural nets - though they say they'll be able to apply some of what they're doing back to AP1 cars in the future.

The good news is Elon said 8.1 will enable some of your AP features in about three weeks in a tweet the other day.

Thanks for the "on the bright side" outlook!

You're getting functionality much sooner than AP 1.0 owners - they had to wait a YEAR after the first cars rolled off the line in October 2014 with autopilot hardware.

Tesla needs customer cars in somewhat large numbers running around in shadow mode to validate a lot of corner cases before theu can turn on the software. It's kind of a chicken and egg scenario that definitely irritates the earliest buyers.

It'll be out in December, hopefully, and then you'll start to well surpass what AP1.0 can do it seems. Worth the wait. AP1 is nice to have but it is honestly very limited and can't deal with anything besides very clear/safe environments.

As stated, those of us with initial AP1.0 hardware (initially in Model S) had to wait about a year for all features to finally be released, feature by feature...

Pushed my delivery til Feb since I knew this was happening
Curious why you did this since you are most likely better off (IMHO) driving the Tesla than what you are driving now.

Does your current vehicle have AP features that you wouldn't receive "for three weeks" in a Tesla?

If you are making that decision based on new features (other than the software for AP 2.0 being ready) then you could push delivery out ad infinitum.

Curious why you did this since you are most likely better off (IMHO) driving the Tesla than what you are driving now.

Does your current vehicle have AP features that you wouldn't receive "for three weeks" in a Tesla?

If you are making that decision based on new features (other than the software for AP 2.0 being ready) then you could push delivery out ad infinitum.

You haven't the foggiest idea what he's driving. Perfectly rational decision - wait to see if folks report big problems, etc. Also if any new features/tweaks/better info on the HUD release date in the car's hardware come out he is more likely to get them.

You haven't the foggiest idea what he's driving. Perfectly rational decision - wait to see if folks report big problems, etc. Also if any new features/tweaks/better info on the HUD release date in the car's hardware come out he is more likely to get them.
Which is exactly what I said when said he would MOST LIKELY be better off, asked what features his current vehicle has and said that if he is waiting for features other than AP 2.0 he would be pushing his delivery out ad infinitum.

Not disagreeing with HIS decision, just trying to understand his rationale.

Reactions: feslatan
Your car has a totally new sensor array that is much improved over the earlier models.

More and much more sophisticated cameras, computer and ultrasonics.

It will take some time for Tesla to get real time feedback from these new systems calibrated, so the firs few will run around collecting data without offering features.

When the new features are vetted and turned on the capabilties will be far above what was offered previously.

Enjoy your new car. You are performing a great service to all those that will come after you.

Baby is coming in March 2017 since this will be our family car didn't feel the need of the early December delivery, plus since we have a 2 car garage I didn't want to park the M3 or GTR outside, once the X is done M3 and our old 5 series will be out in the driveway, MX n GTR are in. We were planning on the X5M and autopilot and the technology of the MX got me into it!