TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

No Auto Pilot

Discussion in 'Model X' started by icasio, Nov 30, 2016.

1. icasio

icasio Member

Picked up my X today and was bummed to find out that with the new builds auto pilot won't be available until a software update late December.

Anyone else experience this?

2. 3Victoria

3Victoria Active Member

#2 3Victoria, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Yes, widely known. New update coming in about 3 weeks to make use of the new improved sensor suite.

• Like x 2
  3. icasio

icasio Member

Widely known. Sorry about that. Hadn't picked up on that while reading threads over the past month. My bad.

I was aware that the new functions wouldn't be usable until later in the month but wasn't aware that the vehicle would have zero auto pilot abilities until then.

4. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Definitely understand the disappointment. On the bright side, once you're enabled, you're going to drive circles around me and my AP1 vehicle - without much effort!

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The Mobileye split meant Tesla is starting over on building their neural nets - though they say they'll be able to apply some of what they're doing back to AP1 cars in the future.

The good news is Elon said 8.1 will enable some of your AP features in about three weeks in a tweet the other day.

6. icasio

icasio Member

Thanks for the "on the bright side" outlook!

7. Michelx

Michelx Member

Icasio is that a 5 seater you ordered ?

8. icasio

icasio Member

6 seater. 60D.

9. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

You're getting functionality much sooner than AP 1.0 owners - they had to wait a YEAR after the first cars rolled off the line in October 2014 with autopilot hardware.

Tesla needs customer cars in somewhat large numbers running around in shadow mode to validate a lot of corner cases before theu can turn on the software. It's kind of a chicken and egg scenario that definitely irritates the earliest buyers.

10. leletyM3

leletyM3 Member

Pushed my delivery til Feb since I knew this was happening

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. travwill

travwill Active Member

It'll be out in December, hopefully, and then you'll start to well surpass what AP1.0 can do it seems. Worth the wait. AP1 is nice to have but it is honestly very limited and can't deal with anything besides very clear/safe environments.

As stated, those of us with initial AP1.0 hardware (initially in Model S) had to wait about a year for all features to finally be released, feature by feature...

12. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

Curious why you did this since you are most likely better off (IMHO) driving the Tesla than what you are driving now.

Does your current vehicle have AP features that you wouldn't receive "for three weeks" in a Tesla?

If you are making that decision based on new features (other than the software for AP 2.0 being ready) then you could push delivery out ad infinitum.

13. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

You haven't the foggiest idea what he's driving. Perfectly rational decision - wait to see if folks report big problems, etc. Also if any new features/tweaks/better info on the HUD release date in the car's hardware come out he is more likely to get them.

14. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

Which is exactly what I said when said he would MOST LIKELY be better off, asked what features his current vehicle has and said that if he is waiting for features other than AP 2.0 he would be pushing his delivery out ad infinitum.

Not disagreeing with HIS decision, just trying to understand his rationale.

• Like x 1
  15. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Your car has a totally new sensor array that is much improved over the earlier models.

More and much more sophisticated cameras, computer and ultrasonics.

It will take some time for Tesla to get real time feedback from these new systems calibrated, so the firs few will run around collecting data without offering features.

When the new features are vetted and turned on the capabilties will be far above what was offered previously.

Enjoy your new car. You are performing a great service to all those that will come after you.

16. outie

outie Active Member

I have a fully functional AP 60D. Do you want to trade?

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
  17. leletyM3

leletyM3 Member

Baby is coming in March 2017 since this will be our family car didn't feel the need of the early December delivery, plus since we have a 2 car garage I didn't want to park the M3 or GTR outside, once the X is done M3 and our old 5 series will be out in the driveway, MX n GTR are in. We were planning on the X5M and autopilot and the technology of the MX got me into it!

18. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Even though Tesla features aren't based on Model years, perception wise its just also nice to have a 2017 car versus a 2016.

19. rush6410

rush6410 Member

I picked mine up last Friday. Missing auto lights, auto high beam, and auto wipers. But, I am perfectly happy with the MX and AP 2.0 future capabilities.

• Like x 2
  20. DrivingTheFuture

Having just finished the finale of the HBO series "Westworld" where they have newer and older builds of AI robots interacting, hearing you all discuss this is quite ironic :)

I'm thankful that though we are stuck with AP v1 we are also stuck with unlimited supercharging for our X.

• Like x 2