Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Autopilot, No cruise control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused about "dumb" cruise control vs. adaptive cruise control vs. TACC. My Toyota has adaptive cruise control, and now I can't imagine not having it. Would a Tesla "dumb" cruise control really let you rear-end the car ahead of you just because you didn't want to pay the extra $5000?
"dumb" cruise control is the same cruise control most cars have (as does the base BMW 320i). Meaning not adaptive.

To get adaptive cruise control in a 3 series, it's not available on the base $33,150 320i. You have to get the $38,750 330i, add Navigation $1950, Driver Assistance Package $950, Driver Assistance Plus Package $1700 for a total of $43,350.

It will still have the standard safety features like emergency braking, so it'll attempt to save you from the world.

Verify that. There are two kinds of AEB: Low Speed, and High Speed.
Often cars without ACC only have Low Speed since they lack the long range radar scanning that ACC uses to establish following distances.
If Tesla does not activate the TACC radar without AP2, then it might not have high speed AEB.

Cruise control is a basic feature and the car needs no additional hardware to achieve it. Of course it's going to come with cruise control guys. This isn't 1994 and you're not buying a Ford F150.

But it does need extra hardware, it needs some way to control it. The Model S has a third stalk that can be used to control manual CC:

modelssoftware2.jpg

However, I believe the only control on the 3 is part of the gear selector stalk, and all it appears you can do is enable autopilot. How would you adjust the speed for manual cruise control? Perhaps with the scroll wheel or something? I guess I don't know how you adjust the following distance with TACC either, for that matter.

cGStvpt-469x270.png

Following distance will be a setting almost certainly controlled on screen. You might be able to adjust with the scroll wheels as well as I think Model S works that way IIRC.

Probably the steering wheel scroll wheels would control speed with basic cruise control. Hit the lever to turn it on.

But it does need extra hardware, it needs some way to control it. The Model S has a third stalk that can be used to control manual CC:

modelssoftware2.jpg

However, I believe the only control on the 3 is part of the gear selector stalk, and all it appears you can do is enable autopilot. How would you adjust the speed for manual cruise control? Perhaps with the scroll wheel or something? I guess I don't know how you adjust the following distance with TACC either, for that matter.

cGStvpt-469x270.png

I assume that stalk pulls back and pushes forward which you could use to engage/ disengage. Speed could be controlled via the roller switches in the steering wheel.

This could be a big hurdle for me if I were to consider getting a Model 3. I have radar cruise on my current Golf (part of a AUD $1,500 safety package) and couldn't imagine my next car NOT having it, but having to cough up $7,300-ish (in AUD) because it's part of Autopilot, is kinda out of the question for me personally.

Reactions: Robert831

modelssoftware2.jpg

cGStvpt-469x270.png
The Model 3 manual's image of the gear selector stalk has the cruise control icon instead of the autopilot icon.

I'm confused about "dumb" cruise control vs. adaptive cruise control vs. TACC. My Toyota has adaptive cruise control, and now I can't imagine not having it. Would a Tesla "dumb" cruise control really let you rear-end the car ahead of you just because you didn't want to pay the extra $5000?
Actually no, because that's the job of Automatic Emergency Braking which is standard

Reactions: gambit48
Actually no, because that's the job of Automatic Emergency Braking which is standard
Actually no to that.

AEB is designed to reduce the severity of an accident, not avoid it altogether. So if you use dumb cruise control at say 50mph and the guy in front of you stops, expect that the AEB will mean you crash into him at ~30 MPH instead of 50. If you had TACC (for $5,000) you would safely stop at a pre-programmed distance behind him.

Reactions: internalaudit
Actually no to that.

AEB is designed to reduce the severity of an accident, not avoid it altogether. So if you use dumb cruise control at say 50mph and the guy in front of you stops, expect that the AEB will mean you crash into him at ~30 MPH instead of 50. If you had TACC (for $5,000) you would safely stop at a pre-programmed distance behind him.

AEB can also bring you to a full stop, but AEB only takes over at the last second. So if speeds are too high it might only reduce speed. TACC on the other hand will try to keep the distance much sooner, but if the car in front brakes really hard, it will still be AEB trying to save your ass.

Other than that better not rely too much on safety systems. No car maker will guarantee you, that they won't sometimes fail. I won't trust any of those things until someone introduces some level 3 autonomy.

Would a Tesla "dumb" cruise control really let you rear-end the car ahead of you just because you didn't want to pay the extra $5000?

I just saw this thread; looks like it was revived. The above concerns me a bit; yes if you drive your car into something, it will hit it. It isn't autonomous and you have a responsibility to pay attention and hit the brakes before running into something. I don't believe that there is a car on the market right now that will certify that you will not hit something if you drive your car towards it.

Now that the manual is floating around, it states that the following is (or will be once it has been coded) available on every Model 3:
  • Lane assist (sounds like lane departure warnings),
  • Collision avoidance assist (forward collision warning (loud beep when it thinks you're going to hit something), auto emergency braking (throws on the brakes to reduce speed when it knows you will hit something),
  • Speed assist (tells you the local speed limit and chimes when you exceed a tolerance relative to it), and
  • High beam assist
I didn't pick up mention of any sort of cruise control there. It is a bit unfortunate, I agree. Not a game changer for me though.

For the regular cruise control, how responsive are the S'es with no TACC when accelerating or decelerating?
If you have regular cruise control, it maintains that speed. If you enable it and you aren't at the set speed, the car will quickly get to the preset speed. Once you are at that speed, it does a good job of maintaining it and there isn't any acceleration or deceleration.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
If you have regular cruise control, it maintains that speed. If you enable it and you aren't at the set speed, the car will quickly get to the preset speed. Once you are at that speed, it does a good job of maintaining it and there isn't any acceleration or deceleration.

What about decelerating with the stalk? Is it very responsive? To save on $5k EAP, I will be the car's autopilot. :)

What about decelerating with the stalk? Is it very responsive? To save on $5k EAP, I will be the car's autopilot. :)
Before my 12/2016 car had autopilot enabled, I used the stalk and regular cruise control for a 1000 mile road trip. It worked fine. It's been a year but I believe it worked similarly to TACC in that you could quickly tap it up or down to adjust speed by 1 mph or press it all the way up or down to adjust speed by 5 mph. It worked but isn't a lot more work than TACC. Then again, I had regular cruise control on my previous car for 20 years, so it was similar that I had to pay more attention. Compared to my old car, the Tesla was much more responsive, instantly accelerating or decelerating.

I also had an old pre-AP loaner that had manual cruise control. The stalks were reversed and IIRC, it was responsive but I found it confusing and kept hitting that stalk instead of the turn signals.

You could definitely get by with doing it manually. Save up and add EAP later, if you like.