Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AWD for Model 3 until next year confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am constantly saying things that, to my surprise, offend people. It is never my intention. It's probably a result of my Asperger's. I have essentially zero social skills and never know how my words will affect people, or what the social norms are in any given situation.
FWIW I found your statement quite modest. This is the AWD (aka not $35k Model 3) thread. Don't second guess yourself.

As for me, I'm going to wait and see what happens. I definitely want a Ludicrous model. Though if the delay is significant I may end up holding out for Maximum Plaid.

Reactions: PaulJB and daniel
I have a 2016 Model S RWD. I chose RWD on purpose for a bigger, pre refresh frunk. Yes, I live in the south now, but am Canadian and understand traction, snow, the NEED for snow tires, etc... The S RWD is amazing. In all conditions. Honesty - save your money. I have a Model 3 on reserve and have no issues taking an RWD. Zero.

I understand the frustration and do not mean to minimize it. However, this is NOT A GAS CAR - and due to the smooth power and instant torque of an electric motor, the old "I need AWD" idea is not really applicable. See: Norway.

My 2 cents - respectfully.

I have a 2016 Model S RWD. I chose RWD on purpose for a bigger, pre refresh frunk. Yes, I live in the south now, but am Canadian and understand traction, snow, the NEED for snow tires, etc... The S RWD is amazing. In all conditions. Honesty - save your money. I have a Model 3 on reserve and have no issues taking an RWD. Zero.

I understand the frustration and do not mean to minimize it. However, this is NOT A GAS CAR - and due to the smooth power and instant torque of an electric motor, the old "I need AWD" idea is not really applicable. See: Norway.

My 2 cents - respectfully.
Thanks for the info. I have been quite worried about not getting AWD. I live in the Denver area, and I do drive up to the mountains. yesterday we had 6" of snow in the AM. It all melted, and snowed again last night so had a few inches this morning. Going to be 72F on Friday. Putting snow tires on isn't the best option for me. Besides having no storage space for them, the weather here is just crazy. It was in the 60's for 3 weeks in March. It will snow in the middle of May. So there isn't really a winter/summer season.

Reactions: JeffK
Thanks for the info. I have been quite worried about not getting AWD. I live in the Denver area, and I do drive up to the mountains. yesterday we had 6" of snow in the AM. It all melted, and snowed again last night so had a few inches this morning. Going to be 72F on Friday. Putting snow tires on isn't the best option for me. Besides having no storage space for them, the weather here is just crazy. It was in the 60's for 3 weeks in March. It will snow in the middle of May. So there isn't really a winter/summer season.

TOTALLY understand. I lived near the mountains of Alberta and headed into them in winter often. And yes - the weather is changing indeed.

I do have to say though, I'd take a RWD electric car with snow tires over any gas car with AWD and All Season tires any day of the week. the few inches of the tires are all you have in contact with the road. As a guy who grew up in Atlantic Canada with snow/rain/ice/rain/snow/rain/ice all winter - I really mean that. Tires are everything.

Even an AWD electric is better served with proper tires for the conditions. A Tesla AWD with snow tires is likely a TANK!

TOTALLY understand. I lived near the mountains of Alberta and headed into them in winter often. And yes - the weather is changing indeed.

I do have to say though, I'd take a RWD electric car with snow tires over any gas car with AWD and All Season tires any day of the week. the few inches of the tires are all you have in contact with the road. As a guy who grew up in Atlantic Canada with snow/rain/ice/rain/snow/rain/ice all winter - I really mean that. Tires are everything.

Even an AWD electric is better served with proper tires for the conditions. A Tesla AWD with snow tires is likely a TANK!
So, what about RWD with all seasons? I understand it is not optimal. I have 4wd with all seasons now in a Highlander.

So, what about RWD with all seasons? I understand it is not optimal. I have 4wd with all seasons now in a Highlander.

I'm in a similar boat. I am a Day 1 (11am) reservation holder in Denver. Was planning on a lower trim AWD model with base battery, and expecting minimal federal tax credit but hoping for the full state tax credit (hoping to get it sometime in mid-2018.) Now that Tesla will prioritize RWD for the early cars (though not clear how long), I'm strongly considering instead pursuing a RWD Model 3 with the bigger battery*. The hope would be to take advantage of the full federal tax credit and state credit and save some $ if I can get it earlier. The potential reduction in cost might be worth the change away from AWD. The biggest hurdle for me now is convincing myself a good set of snow tires is sufficient for Colorado weather.

Then again, we don't know what the bigger battery or AWD options will cost, so most of my thoughts are based purely on speculation.

*Side Note: I'm fairly convinced that early production Model 3s will not be based Model 3, but highly optioned but easiest to produce RWD Model 3s. So, lots of software upgrades, bigger battery, etc.

If a dedicated set of winters are not an option try looking at All-Weather, these are different from the All-Seasons in that they are M&S certified in addition to having the "Mountain Snowflake" symbol on them.

Being from Toronto we have very changeable conditions in the winter, rather than having 2 sets of tires I have gone with Nokian WRG2 and now WRG3. These have served me well, including multiple trips into Quebec and the snowy areas there.

I am considering the AWD as well, but depending on the delay and $$ I may just go with the RWD. I haven't driven a Model S in the snow so I can't comment on what it's like, but I imagine with the extra weight of the drivetrain over the wheels it will negate some of RWD deficiency in the snow.

Last edited:
I have a RWD S and would like the 3 as early as possible but won't get another Tesla without AWD here in New England. With good winter tires, my S has done well through the winters but AWD is just that much more useful for getting going. The S was my first non-AWD in 20 years and a gamble. I love the car and plan to keep it, but i'm all in on AWD from here on. Stinks that I may get the car later but i'd rather get what I want rather than get something I don't really want sooner.

• Informative
Reactions: Weezer Fan
Interesting reading on real world pricing ... :cool:
Tesla Model 3 average sale price and budget to be closer to $50,000 based on latest data from reservation holders

The results are that most reservation holders are preparing to pay between $45,000 and $55,000, which makes sense since the bare Model 3 or nearly bare Model 3 are very rare options among the reservation holders surveyed. Most of them are looking for a battery pack upgrade from the base model, which is expected to offer 215+ miles of range, to bigger packs that could allow up to 300 miles of range.

The Autopilot/Self-driving options will also significantly increase the price. A buyer choosing only one of those options could easily see the price increase to $45,000 and both options could push the price to $55,000, based on the historical cost of Tesla’s options. Then you can add aesthetic upgrades, like interior options, wheels, and paint, and the price can easily go past $60,000 for a fully-loaded Model 3. It would make sense with the base price of the Model S going over $70,000 later this month due to the discontinuation of the Model S 60. The average sale price of the Model S will therefore also go up – likely closer to $90,000.

upload_2017-4-6_19-49-4.png

The choice is smart. Make RWD first, if problems easier to fix. If having issues with RWD and AWD more difficult. Can push out twice as many cars at first because only need ONE motor not TWO. We have all waited this long, until early 2018 won't kill us !! Especially knowing the 2018 version will be better than the 2017....I wish I had in my driveway now like many of us....BUT more time to save. On fence myself about getting RWD asap or waiting for AWD in 2018 or so. Only vehicles I have had with AWD are current 2005 Toyota Highlander w/131,000 miles on it and Model S with 38,000 miles on it. Will get snows for RWD M3 if decide to go that route.....impatience may rule the day........