Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AWD for Model 3 until next year confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dream on ... Elon Time means double the original estimate :cool:

"First in line for dual motor as soon as we can make it, which is probably --->in<--- 6 to 9 months." Imagine this exchange:
Q: How soon can you make it?
A: Probably in 6 to 9 months.
I don't think it's confusing at all. "How soon?", unqualified, means "How long from now?", and "in" in relation to now means from now, so the 6 to 9 months means means from now. He was effectively saying "Probably Q4".
Of course, there's reason to doubt his opinion on the amount of time required, but in this case I don't think there should be anything radically new they'd need to do in comparison to the S/X so I don't see why there should be undue delay. RWD first just allows them deliver cars faster and with less risk, and _maybe_ shift a few more S and X.

Nope. Not me. The Model S is a huge car. My old Zap Xebra was the perfect size for me. (About the size of a VW Bug, but with 4 doors and 3 wheels.) I can live with my 2004 Prius, which is too big, but acceptable. I think the Model 3 will be a little bigger than the Prius, and the only reason I'm willing to drive a car any bigger than the Prius is to have an EV from Tesla with the safety features of quasi-autopilot. (Adaptive CC, proximity warnings, etc.) I could afford the Model S. I could afford a P100D. But I could not accept driving a car that big. I'm getting the Model 3 because it's a Tesla and it's smaller than the S. But I also want dual motor for the handling, and I want Performance because my Roadster has spoiled me.

So I'll drive the Roadster for another year and wait for the P-D version of the 3.
That's just another reason why Musk seems to be wasting his time trying to get people to go to the S. The people already in line for a three either don't want an S (like you) or probably can't afford the S.

I'm confused as to your expectations. Standing in line gets you your car before other people in Australia. I don't see how you could have possibly expected that they would ship cars in the US and Australia at the same time.

Here's why: Elon stated that he put his best engineers on the factory i.e. designing the machine that makes the machine. Other car manufacturers worldwide make both LHD and RHD drive cars on the same line. Tesla used to shut the line down, switch over to making RHD cars for the rest of the World then shut the line down and switch back to LHD. But they don't do that for S and X anymore as people on factory tours have reported seeing both versions on the same line. Makes sense as shutting the line causes delays and inefficiencies. This made me believe that all the brains that Tesla put on the task of optimising the production machine would try to get the most efficient machine possible. They even hired the Audi guy who has massive experience in setting up production facilities.

This is why I hoped that out of the 350,000 reservation holders Tesla would make maybe 100,000 cars and then start making some right hand drive cars for the rest of us that pre-ordered. But that's not going to happen. So as some people here have said - out side of the US it's actually pointless having a reservation, queuing or pre-ordering in any way. Tesla will have made and shipped literally hundreds of thousands of 3's before one rolls off the oat in Australia. Since we're waiting until September or October 2018 for a car I don't see any disadvantage in taking back my $1000 and then re-ordering in mid-2018 when the cars are a known quantity. all the bugs are out etc etc. Model s' will be available used in Aus and at a good price as there'll be 4 year old ones - with free super charging. There'll even be a could of used Model X's by that time I reckon.

Reactions: smac
Elon is referring to the performance option not when the the dual motor will initially be available.. When the Model S came out the dual motor was available sooner then the performance option. I would expect the same with the Model 3. Of course it is still a guessing game when all of this will happen.

You have it backwards. The performance version of the Model S came well before the dual motor option.

Az_Rael you are right of course, I mistakenly confused performance with ludicrous and should have known better.
It will be interesting with the Model 3 though to see if the dual motor comes out before the performance option this time.
My hunch is yes especially with so many people upset about that lack of AWD availability out of the gate.

So EM has dropped the idea of producing M3 with more options right from start, because there is more money to make than with a bare bone version.
I actually jupped on the bandwagon when Elon said that there will be a tow-hitch which my MSD does not have.
Well, seems I will have to wait a little while longer... and migrate to the Himalayas for a while... to wait for AWD and Towing...
I think that the cold hard reality of upcoming deadlines have slapped him in the face. I'm sure he would have preferred to ship the most expensive cars first as that brings in the most profit to Tesla. But at this point he needs to ship cars on time. His investors only care about shipping a certain number of cars at each milestone. They can pad the margins later.

Of course the other theory is that he's saying all this stuff to sustain MS sales for the next 6 months. I've never heard Elon use the word "just" to describe one of his products. That has me suspicious that he's sandbagging Model 3. All will be revealed in due time...

Since we're waiting until September or October 2018 for a car I don't see any disadvantage in taking back my $1000 and then re-ordering in mid-2018 when the cars are a known quantity. all the bugs are out etc etc. Model s' will be available used in Aus and at a good price as there'll be 4 year old ones - with free super charging. There'll even be a could of used Model X's by that time I reckon.
We ended up buying a used Model S, from Tesla, and are very happy with it. However, I'm glad we also kept our Model 3 reservation, as the advent of the AP2 hardware was significant to us and we've since solidified our plans to purchase a Model 3 (however, not until AWD is available). That would make us an all-EV family!

If you need the $1000 or are worried that it might disappear if Tesla folds, then sure, get it back for now.

Otherwise, why not keep the reservation? It can't hurt, and particularly if demand proves especially high, it could still help you get your Model 3 sooner than others in your country.

Reactions: houdini
I think that the cold hard reality of upcoming deadlines have slapped him in the face. I'm sure he would have preferred to ship the most expensive cars first as that brings in the most profit to Tesla. But at this point he needs to ship cars on time. His investors only care about shipping a certain number of cars at each milestone. They can pad the margins later.

This ^

The only slight modifier I would suggest is that the higher priced cars also improve cash flow, which is probably a more important/watched metric right now.

Of course the other theory is that he's saying all this stuff to sustain MS sales for the next 6 months. I've never heard Elon use the word "just" to describe one of his products. That has me suspicious that he's sandbagging Model 3. All will be revealed in due time...

Perfect Argument! On the other hand, there are virtually no more Drive Unit problems since MSD (simply because this enormous power Density is shared by two motors) and that would speak really for such option because of the numbers of M3 that are going to be on the road. I am sure EM dont want to start with an image damaging and costly ramp-up. The 2nd DU as an option is for many around the forum an incentive to order an M3.

Last edited:
... His investors only care about shipping a certain number of cars at each milestone. They can pad the margins later. ...

As an investor (albeit an insignificantly microscopic one, with just a few hundred shares) I don't give a fig about milestones or numbers. What I care about (other than getting my Model 3) is the long-term success of the company. Whatever Musk has to do to ensure that success is okay by me, and I have more confidence in his business acumen than in my ability to second-guess the market or the exigencies of production.

I would rather Tesla miss deadlines and build high-quality cars, than sacrifice quality to meet deadlines.

But I'm still disappointed that I'll have to wait an additional year for my Performance AWD Model 3.

No AWD is a definite deal breaker for me. I will either defer or cancel. That also means the loss of the $7500 tax credit so Elon is forcing me to look at alternatives. I'd be willing to bet that a very significant number of those deposits will vaporize.
How does the lack of a tax credit make or break this decision when you already own a Model S and X? $7500 is clearly not that big of a deal to you lol.

I wonder if they have started asking the workers what variant they want and found most didn't want AWD, so since they would likely get their rides first may as well make RWD first...
I agree this is a possibility. Along this logic, it would also mean by the time the 3 ships to general public in meaningful numbers outside of Tesla/SpaceX employees it would be 6-9 months later (Assuming this timeline he talks about is so important to success that it's no longer in Elons time)

I really wonder how big the Frunk will be on the 3. I don't mind missing out on AWD as my daily driver is currently a RWD car, if it means a bigger Frunk. I'm mainly looking into a car with a bit more utility once it's time to start a family in a couple of years.
If it's anything like the S now, the frunk is same regardless. I'm sure it was done as cost saving and manufacturing efficiencies. So I wouldn't put much hope in larger frunk for RWD cars.

tesla-model-3-frunk.jpg

One bag!? Just one bag!?!?! I'm canceling right now!

• Funny
Reactions: JOEV1
Dream on ... Elon Time means double the original estimate :cool:

Yes, which is why only the favorites always win horse races, because past performance is always a perfect indicator of future performance.

The Model 3 is a much simpler car, and Tesla has had over 3 years of "lessons learned" to draw upon when designing both the Model 3 and the production line used to manufacture the Model 3. To imply that just because Tesla took twice as long to do some things in the past means that everything they do in the future will also take twice as long implies they are incompetent or stupid. I don't think anyone here would attribute those qualities to Elon or the rest of the company. YMMV...

RT

drf_zpsn7neecei.jpg

tesla-model-3-frunk.jpg

One bag!? Just one bag!?!?! I'm canceling right now!

You know how actual premium/luxury sportscars/vehicles have designer bags made especially made for their trunks and frunks.

Given the budget nature of this Tesla, I think Ikea would be the perfect partner to create that Myskström set of bags for the Model 3 frunk. They could make the out of recycled coffee capsules or somesuch.

Yes, which is why only the favorites always win horse races, because past performance is always a perfect indicator of future performance

... I had to throw you a disagree on this.

Whilst past performance is not a perfect indicator, it is statistically more accurate than having zero historical data. (Hint: Bookies are masters of statistics, and that's why favourites are favourites, which is why ultimately the bookies win)

Less than 1% of the population is interested in changing tires/wheels twice a year. I have, but most won't.

Judging by the number of people running studded tires in an area where it snows every third year, I think your estimate is a bit low. Of course, I believe many of them do it because noise from the studded tires remind them of the baseball cards they stuck in their bike's spokes so many years ago. Four more days.