Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No check for update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Previously my MY checked for new firmware about once every 24 hours, if i checked the menu, it would often say that it had checked when i drove off in the morning, and next morning it would check again.

But in the last 2 weeks or so, it does not check.

Last time it checked by itself was June 25....On June 29 i did the brake and button reboot, and when it rebooted it said that it had checked on June 29 so after the update it checked.

But a few days later i again checked, and it remained on June 29, so i did the reboot again and it then again checked.

Now more days later it still does the same.

Is anyone else experiencing this, where only a reboot of the car makes it check the software version.

The car has wifi coverage when parked at home, so it's not like it has no connection to check via, and if it did not, it should check via the LTE connection if memory serves.

Checking the software doesn’t even do anything. Tesla will push the update to your car when it’s available. Checking from the car doesn’t get you the update faster. It’s of zero use obsessing or worrying about this. Updates don’t even come that often, there’s no use in checking every single day. I think I’ve only gotten 3 or 4 updates so far in 2023. I don’t even remember the last time I looked at that screen on the car.

I used to check for updates before going to work, after work and when I got home and I feel this is probably one reason why I'd get updates by the 3rd day of a s/w push. Then they switched to once every 24 hours, so I'd check after work if I knew something was coming.

I had a similar experience, like you, my last update was stuck on the same day. As I approached one week, I also rebooted and then had a check, but then stuck again. Funny thing is I had an update a day or two after that when I hadn't been checking, which surprised me.

I suspect letting us check for updates willy-nilly is expensive, especially with millions of Teslas on the road now, so some accountant came up with this idea to save 5 cents per car per day. 🙄

Checking the software doesn’t even do anything. Tesla will push the update to your car when it’s available. Checking from the car doesn’t get you the update faster. It’s of zero use obsessing or worrying about this. Updates don’t even come that often, there’s no use in checking every single day. I think I’ve only gotten 3 or 4 updates so far in 2023. I don’t even remember the last time I looked at that screen on the car.

Strange how the person who tells us that checking for updates does nothing, then says they rarely get updates. Here's my history:

1688775324090.png

Full disclosure, this is my second Tesla and my previous one had FSD. This one only has Enhanced Autopilot. Possibly that helps too.

I got pushed 2023.20.7 I think on 6/2 without checking for updates. I wasn’t even near the car since I was out of town. I was on 2023.20.4.1 before that. Further back I don’t even remember. I think it was 2023.12.X and then 2023.6.X which was the first 2023 update. I don’t remember how many minor bug fix updates in between I’ve gotten, but there has been only a handful of updates with new features in 2023 which are really the only ones to care about.

I just don’t pay attention and obsess over them anymore because there’s no point. If I get an update notice it’s a nice surprise. Otherwise who cares.

Reactions: Hellpops
I have a mild case of Asperger's so I guess I'm different. My brain is always trying to improve or re-engineer stuff to make it better. Years ago I could sit and watch a hard drive defrag. I love getting firmware updates to anything, phone, car, smart lightbulbs. Lightbulbs getting updates cracks me up.

Reactions: gtae07
My brain is always trying to improve or re-engineer stuff to make it better.
I hear you. Nothing I own of any significant complexity is stock. And for most anything I can give you a laundry list of ways I'd improve it.

It does irritate the crap out of me when updates break things, take away functionality, or change the UI in ways that make it harder to use.

A friend once said "There isn't an engineer alive who doesn't think he can improve on something anyone else did." Guilty, your honor.

Reactions: Ed Curry
I hear you. Nothing I own of any significant complexity is stock. And for most anything I can give you a laundry list of ways I'd improve it.

It does irritate the crap out of me when updates break things, take away functionality, or change the UI in ways that make it harder to use.

A friend once said "There isn't an engineer alive who doesn't think he can improve on something anyone else did." Guilty, your honor.

We had a Christmas s/w update that majorly changed the layout of everything and I got it the night prior to leaving town in a snow storm. Had trouble finding the defrost, and other settings until well into our one hour trip. Couldn't have been worse timing.

Yes, this feature seems to have changed. I also remember being able to check as often as I want, and then going to "no more than once per 24h". Recently I've had it say it last checked a few days in the past and I couldn't get it to check. Not dramatic obviously but it did change, to OP's question.

As to whether this is useful or not: I have had cases where the act of checking took 30 seconds and said: an update is available. It won't force updates on your car but when your time has come, it might mean your car is aware a few hours earlier... So I say useful, but not a lot.

Yeah, the car kept saying it had checked at that date and there were no update

Just did a reboot and it immediately upon reboot, said that the 2023.20.7 was available and started downloading it.

Honestly, i still say, that my car would not have updated, unless i did the reboot, that made it check and download.

Same here. No check for update since 7/7 so I had the last word yesterday and after a reboot, it was up to date again.

I see 20.8 is starting to roll out. Might end up rebooting tonight or tomorrow after work.

In the back of my mind, I figure they monitor reboots, since they figure why would the do that if things were going well and maybe we should update them sooner. (Gotta rationalize this odd behavior some how, right?)

Reactions: Abraham
So today, again no updates, then I noticed it wasn't quite 24 hours from the previous one, so checked again at 24 hours, the waited until one minute after, & no update.

Rebooted and then I was able to check again. I've had at least one update since noticing this. I'm surprised they haven't fixed it.

Same here. No check for update since 7/7 so I had the last word yesterday and after a reboot, it was up to date again.

I see 20.8 is starting to roll out. Might end up rebooting tonight or tomorrow after work.

In the back of my mind, I figure they monitor reboots, since they figure why would the do that if things were going well and maybe we should update them sooner. (Gotta rationalize this odd behavior some how, right?)
Yeah, mine still did not do anything, so it still said last update July 8 today.

Did the reboot, and after rebooting it checked and it is currently downloading 2023.20.8

I really hope they fix this problem, it is really annoying that i have to reboot the car to make it do a simple thing like check for updates.

I have not disabled, checks for updates, and i don't even think it is possible.

2023.20.9 manual software update check still not working: Your car software is up to date as of 1 Aug 6:26 pm
that was the last time I rebooted the car
manual software update check does nothing, it instantly returns Your car software is up to date as of 1 Aug 6:26 pm
This is well past the 24 hr limit on checking

Previously my MY checked for new firmware about once every 24 hours, if i checked the menu, it would often say that it had checked when i drove off in the morning, and next morning it would check again.

But in the last 2 weeks or so, it does not check.

Last time it checked by itself was June 25....On June 29 i did the brake and button reboot, and when it rebooted it said that it had checked on June 29 so after the update it checked.

But a few days later i again checked, and it remained on June 29, so i did the reboot again and it then again checked.

Now more days later it still does the same.

Is anyone else experiencing this, where only a reboot of the car makes it check the software version.

The car has wifi coverage when parked at home, so it's not like it has no connection to check via, and if it did not, it should check via the LTE connection if memory serves.
My car is doing the same thing on 2023.20.9
Only appears to check on a reboot, who knows if it actually is
Manual check does nothing, instantly returns: Your car software is up to date as of (date/time of last reboot)
This is days after the last reboot and software update date/time check

My car is doing the same thing on 2023.20.9
Only appears to check on a reboot, who knows if it actually is
Manual check does nothing, instantly returns: Your car software is up to date as of (date/time of last reboot)
This is days after the last reboot and software update date/time check
Yeah mine does it as well still, and i have received 2 updates since it started doing this and both were only after i forced a check after reboot.