Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No check for update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having this issue over the past month, and was way behind the adoption peaks for new software releases, which never happened before. It was driving me mad. The last update check was many days ago, while usually I could check every 24h. I found a workaround yesterday via trial and error, maybe it also works for others.

Workaround:
  1. Set your Software Update Preference to "Standard" (see below why)
  2. Do a soft reboot by holding the 2 steering wheel buttons
  3. Important: don't immediately go in the settings after the reboot. Wait until the car gets connectivity, which can take minutes with LTE.
  4. Go to the software updates section in the settings. The Software Update Preference, for me, was curiously automatically set to "Advanced". The software update check should be triggered.

2 hypothesis about the root cause.
  • The "Advanced" software update preference was not properly saved/applied, or got corrupted after an update, and flipping the setting + rebooting solved it.
  • Manually checking for software updates without connectivity may cause the feature to fail, even when trying again later with connectivity.

Reactions: LostVector
I did a reboot on August 23, it found and installed the latest update.

On August 24 it automatically checked for an update as stated on the software page.

Today, more than 24 hours after the last check, i just looked and it has not tried to do any update checks.

So something works....Some of the time.

I tried the "Select standard" and reboot. After i got LTE connectivity it had done the check for August 25 and it was still set to standard after reboot. I selected advanced so i will see tomorrow if it checks something by itself

OK interesting thing tonight. My check for updates has been manual since software version 2023.20.9. I did a manual update one hour ago and it said no update available. I just got a notification on my phone that a software update was available, so it automatically checked 1 hour after a manual check? I an installing version 2023.26.10 with FSD 11.4.4 (Previously 11.3.6).
Looking forward to the Spotify refresh and hoping now when I go to software it checks for updates automatically without a reboot…even though it appears it was checking regardless of that.

Reactions: kpanda17
No issues getting update notifications via TeslaFi and/or phone - business as usual here. There are people saying that they got a notification only after a reboot etc, but I had already got the unsolicited update notification earlier that day so I was actually ahead of the game for many (including some on advance) without having to do anything. I’m on standard setting. I’m certainly not experiencing anything different to last 4 years with the car - long past wanting to solicit updates so happy to take them as and when but I can see if people want to prompt for an update and they aren’t seeing them as frequently as perhaps they once did they might be thinking something up.

Best way is to just change the display language. It does a much quicker reboot (maybe 10 seconds). Like the guy above, the only time I've received updates since getting the car a month or two ago is by doing a reboot or the language change reboot. I'm experimenting with it at the moment and purposely avoiding the language change reboot to see if I'm offered it (it's rolling out a lot where I am at the mo). I suspect I won't until I do the reboot.
Yep, this is just how it works now it seems. I checked the software page again just now, last checked on the 19th (it’s the 28th today). I changed the display language and it’s immediately downloading 26.8.

What do you mean normal language change?

Changing the language will reboot the system but you also need to change it back to your desired language so you’ll need two reboots.

Or just so the two button reset to reboot once.
I don't to be honest, I just change it to British English to get the current software to download, leave it on that until the next update comes out then change it to English. Rinse and repeat. The only thing that changes really is Bonnet and Boot instead of the american versions (I can't remember now, frunk and trunk I guess?)

Reactions: towndrunk
I've been having this issue over the past month, and was way behind the adoption peaks for new software releases, which never happened before. It was driving me mad. The last update check was many days ago, while usually I could check every 24h. I found a workaround yesterday via trial and error, maybe it also works for others.

Workaround:
  1. Set your Software Update Preference to "Standard" (see below why)
  2. Do a soft reboot by holding the 2 steering wheel buttons
  3. Important: don't immediately go in the settings after the reboot. Wait until the car gets connectivity, which can take minutes with LTE.
  4. Go to the software updates section in the settings. The Software Update Preference, for me, was curiously automatically set to "Advanced". The software update check should be triggered.

2 hypothesis about the root cause.
  • The "Advanced" software update preference was not properly saved/applied, or got corrupted after an update, and flipping the setting + rebooting solved it.
  • Manually checking for software updates without connectivity may cause the feature to fail, even when trying again later with connectivity.
This worked for me. My car did its last check on Jul 20th, stuck on 2023.26.7 and would not update even after a reboot. LIke you, I changed to "Standard" and it was set to "Advanced" after the reboot.

I had to reboot to check for an update yesterday. No update this time.

Today, I was able to check and again no update. I tried the change to "standard", rebooted and it was still standard, which I did not want. Changed it back to "advanced" and walked in the house.