Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No communication or help with financing stress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All!

I am frustrated and hoping that some of you can offer your insight on my current situation. I placed an order for a Model X on 1/4/18 and got confirmation(on my tesla account, no email) on 1/7/18. It has been two weeks and I have had no communication or vin number assigned. I have heard this is normal. My frustration is this, I am selling my current vehicle to a friend. My friend needs to get his financing options in order and would like to know when he should start the process and when he is likely to purchase and take delivery of my vehicle. I am also trying to get on a very popular detailers calendar so that I can take the car straight from the dealer to the detailer. I also need to start looking into insurance, which is hard to do without a VIN. My biggest concern is the buyer, who doesn't care that I'm buying a Tesla and have to wait, he just wants to know when to start the financing process, and I totally understand his frustration. I am scared I am about to lose my buyer. I have emailed my DS twice to ask for an update without response. Even if there is no way to narrow down my date at this point, I feel like a simple response, explaining just that, would at least make me feel like they care. Any advice? How long after you placed your order did you get a vin and a delivery date?

Back in August, I had my VIN in three days (Sunday to Tuesday). You might try calling the main number and seeing if anyone can at least see where your VIN is.

The delivery date takes a while as that depends on where the factory is for parts and where you are (geographically). A lot of USA deliveries are end of quarter for custom builds. I ordered early August and took delivery end of September.

• Informative
Reactions: Shawn Snider
Your insurance company can give you a solid quote, they use need to know the options and the vehicle - even without a VIN. USAA is mine and they were able to give me a very accurate quote even before i ordered the vehicle - of course when you have your VIN it is better but at least you should know the approximate number.

On delivery date - forget about it - it’s not happening. You will get an approximate date after production is done but not before that. And production schedules, as Lee said, depend on a lot of factors (they batch build). If you dealt with an OA they should be able to look it up and, if you have your DS’s name and email they could probably give you an approximate month, but I hate saying this but it changes - typically for the better (check out the Model X tracker here for an idea Model X Order/Delivery Tracking - Google Sheet)

Sorry, this is part of the Tesla experience, unfortunately. the waiting is the hardest part.

Thank you so much for the responses! Sorry if I have come off as overly whiney. I am definitely prepared to be patient, I'm just not so sure my buyer is.

check out the Model X tracker here for an idea Model X Order/Delivery Tracking - Google Sheet)

I've been using this spread sheet. It is awesome! Do you happen to remember if the estimated delivery date, generated by this spread sheet for you, was accurate? It says that the average days between confirmation and delivery is 53.2 days, based off the data provided. It is giving me an estimated delivery of 3/2/18 which I think is probably a little overly optimistic.

Thank you so much for the responses! Sorry if I have come off as overly whiney. I am definitely prepared to be patient, I'm just not so sure my buyer is.
I've been using this spread sheet. It is awesome! Do you happen to remember if the estimated delivery date, generated by this spread sheet for you, was accurate? It says that the average days between confirmation and delivery is 53.2 days, based off the data provided. It is giving me an estimated delivery of 3/2/18 which I think is probably a little overly optimistic.

Because you believe the buyer may be lost perhaps you could ask them when would be acceptable. ie. 1st week in Feb or whatever. Then considered selling your to them and renting or borrowing another vehicle from a friend/family member/company. You would have to do the math to see if that make sense vs losing your buyer (bird in hand ...)

Also for insurance, when I was checking I just used an example VIN number. I suspect one of the main parts you want correct is the Performance motor option.

VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

Example I made up:
Dd7pilx.jpg

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I think preapproval is a great suggestion. Thank you BrokerDon.

I just got off the phone with Tesla and they couldn't give me a delivery date but they did give me an "end of line date" of March 5th. This is the estimated date that my vehicle will reach the end of the assembly line.

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I think preapproval is a great suggestion. Thank you BrokerDon.

I just got off the phone with Tesla and they couldn't give me a delivery date but they did give me an "end of line date" of March 5th. This is the estimated date that my vehicle will reach the end of the assembly line.
That’s about right, 6 weeks or so and in the third month for domestic delivery. Being east-coast-ish, probably two weeks or so to get to you, so still in the quarter.

I ordered my model X on 01/03/18 so that must make my 'end of line date' of 03/04/2018. Waiting is not fun. I also have a buyer for my current car, but he is willing to wait. Insurance broker tells me they need the VIN to get an actual quote, but so far got $2000-3000 per year. I don't plan on doing the financing until production is finished.

The tracker is only as accurate as the folks who actually update it throughout but mine is accurate. Interestingly I got mine faster than some others who ordered 75’s earlier because, as I suspect, EOY they batch built and delivered the 100’s for larger profits...

Good luck - it is worth the wait and despite what you see on the forums, most people have wonderful delivery experiences and few problems with their vehicles.