Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No loaners? Tesla offered me Uber during Covid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As soon as I started reading this thread I knew this guy will be here defending this BS.
So do they test all those employees that touch and work in our cars? How often do they test?
I am currently experiencing the other worst part of dealing with Tesla's used sales department. Paid for reservation and transportation fee on a price mistake used MX and now no one is even replying to my questions or even refunding it back.
Absolutely shitty customer service.
Call your credit card company and just refuse the charge, they should be able to handle it if you have the documentation to prove they charged you for something they refused to deliver.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Actually, what makes it horrendous is the few hours of service necessary to correct factory or engineering issues. With almost any other manufacturer, this would not be an issue, you'd schedule an appointment, come in, if the appointment is an hour or two you can wait, and if not you get a loaner (the allotted Uber credit doesn't even cover my round trip home and back btw). With Tesla, even an hour of actual work (acknowledged by service advisor after diagnosis) appointment turns into "drop it off, no loaner, it will take up to 4 days because we don't actually schedule time in the shop". Now multiply that experience by the number of hours needed to fix all the factory deficiencies and you get the picture. Let's not forget that if your issue does not reproduce during the service center admission, they now charge you $200/hr diagnostic fee, even if you come with a video showing the issue occurring.

The above is the main thing which completely turns me off of buying more Teslas. The other things are perma-beta and constant experimenting on customers without covering the damage caused (after all, customer agreed to drive a beta car), the recent narrowing of warranty coverages, and complete BS weaseling out of what they advertised with excuses such as "yea, the horsepower we advertised was just for the actual motor, but that motor would have to be in a completely different car than the one we sold you in order to produce anywhere near the advertised horsepower - too bad you thought otherwise based on our official specifications". I still have the 691hp capable winshield, and hood, but not actual car.

I have only seen the $89 diagnostic fee.

I agree it shouldn’t be necessary to deal with issues right after purchase. But I’m willing to do that if I enjoy the vehicle the vast majority of the other time it’s in my possession. We have all had cars from other manufacturers. We know the experience with service, quality, performance, etc. Again, doesn’t give Tesla a free pass. I want them to do better, always have loaners, etc. Fortunately for the time I have owned the car, a very small percentage of it has been dealing with service. And the time I have dealt with service, I’d give it an overall B+. It would be higher if communication was better.

Yes , the HP was a bad look for Tesla. They shouldn’t have even brought it up. Just driving the vehicle is enough along with knowing the specs of the performance. IE, speed, etc.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm...

Honestly it seems like you could have gotten your own rental car in less time than it took to post all your complaints.

Enterprise https://www.enterprise.com/en/home.html will bring the car to you... even at a Tesla Service Center. Take the time NOW to set up an account with them so the next time you need a rental car it only takes a few minutes on your computer or smartphone. EASY.

Also some of the SoCal Service Centers had Enterprise people onsite, ready to get me a car and drive me to their lot less than a mile down the street. Took all of 15 minutes picking up... and another 10 minutes dropping off including rides to & from Enterprise.

Or go back to Maserati, BMW, or Mercedes STEALERships who "give" you "free" loaners for $500+ "Service A" oil changes, $300 injector cleanings, etc. I know... we have a Mercedes (Sprinter RV)... and had a BMW 740iL.

• Informative
Reactions: Sixth and SO16
Hmmmmm...

Honestly it seems like you could have gotten your own rental car in less time than it took to post all your complaints.

Enterprise https://www.enterprise.com/en/home.html will bring the car to you... even at a Tesla Service Center. Take the time NOW to set up an account with them so the next time you need a rental car it only takes a few minutes on your computer or smartphone. EASY.

Also some of the SoCal Service Centers had Enterprise people onsite, ready to get me a car and drive me to their lot less than a mile down the street. Took all of 15 minutes picking up... and another 10 minutes dropping off including rides to & from Enterprise.

Or go back to Maserati, BMW, or Mercedes STEALERships who "give" you "free" loaners for $500+ "Service A" oil changes, $300 injector cleanings, etc. I know... we have a Mercedes (Sprinter RV)... and had a BMW 740iL.
Injector cleaning wasn’t covered by the warranty?

I love renting from enterprise, their no liability coverage is nice for when you need to run someone over but you don’t want to pay for the damage.

Injector cleaning wasn’t covered by the warranty?

No, injector cleaning (and several other "highly recommended" (a.k.a. dubious) services weren't included in the warranty since they "maintenance" items. The Mercedes STEALERSHIP even wanted ~ $50 to top off our DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) tank which takes ~ 5 minutes to pour in $12.50 for 2.5 gallons of DEF. I laughed and refilled it in their driveway myself while I was waiting for their driver to take it back into their service area.

Oh and our "Engineered Like No Other Car In The World" 2011 Mercedes has known issues with LOTS of premature failures of:
  • wheel speed ("ABS") sensors $300 to $500 EACH
  • diesel injectors $300+ EACH
  • NOx sensors $500+ EACH
  • glow plugs $300+ EACH
  • DEF heaters & sensors $3,000 to $7,000 per occurrence
  • etc.
Mercedes STEALERships will tell you after your 3 year warranty expires these aren't covered under warranty so you have to pay... even though these are legally all EMISSIONS parts which are covered under either CARB 7 year / 70,000 mile warranties or Federal Emissions Warranty for 8 years / 80,000 mile warranty. They'll reluctantly agree to call Mercedes for warranty approval if you insist... but they'll TRY to get you "the customer" to pay since Mercedes pays them less than what they charge you.

Been there, done that. Will never buy another Mercedes or again, even after driving 190,000 miles in our 1985 Mercedes 300SD turbodiesel when Mercedes TRULY built cars "Engineered Like No Other Car In The World".

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec and AMPd
My car has a crack in the top roof, Tesla texted me "loaners are few & far between". Service center couldn't help either, but they will send me in an Uber during Covid!! Didn't even offer to get me a car rental, regardless if I pay. Didn't give me the option. Maserati didn't do this, Mercedes didn't do this, BMW didn't do this. Terrible customer service!

You had all those cars during the current pandemic?

Reactions: Sixth and BrokerDon
<SNIP>
Been there, done that. Will never buy another Mercedes or again, even after driving 190,000 miles in our 1985 Mercedes 300SD turbodiesel when Mercedes TRULY built cars "Engineered Like No Other Car In The World".

Same with a 1982 240D. Great car. After that the cars were no longer special. And I always hated being treated like an idiot that didn't know anything at MB dealerships. Forty years of flying and having to understand systems led me to a pretty good idea of problems. Never again for any ICE vehicle.

In these times of Covid, sending out loaner cars carry a tremendous liability. If someone, who has been given a loaner, comes down with the Virus Tesla would have a hard time proving you did not contract it when driving their loaners.

When you bring your loaner back, Tesla has no way of knowing if someone positive for Covid has been inside that car. No way to 100% clean that sneaky virus.

Totally understandable that they would wish to reduce to an absolute minimum the number of loaners/rentals they would send out.

Your argument would hold true if Tesla was still giving out loaners pre Covid . The repped I talked to at the Burbank SC stated that they haven't given loaners out for quite some time.

Reactions: TRMS
I love Tesla but hate their customer service. They are lucky that there is no alternative (yet). I would jump on that the moment there is one because of this shitty things they are doing.

I asked the manager to give me a loaner, but they said because the service is same day, they can't do that and gave me $300 uber credit. I asked them why not giving me a loaner, that would be much cheaper, right? They said it is inventory limitation. The day of the service, there were an enterprise on site with tesla cars for <$100. They could fking pay that instead of $300 uber credit but they know people won't use uber specially in a pandemic so they can save there. This is more than ridiculous. I am rooting for a competitor now.

I have had to put off a service appointment twice due to no loaners available. I was told (via txt) "we will give you an Uber Voucher" to which I replied "I commute 100+ miles a day and have to stop by my son's school and wait in line to pick him up". Uber is not an option. Next reply was "have someone pick you up". I wanted to reply "did you even read my txt?" but decided not to piss somebody off when I am obviously needing a loaner car.

If my next appointment (3rd attempt) is kicked out for no loaner I guess I'll have to get myself a rental car for the duration of the service. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I scheduled my appointment, I put the need of having a loaner right in the service request. Also made sure to be the first appointment for the day at about one week out.

got the loaner, no issue.