Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No LTE/Wifi connection temporarily after starting the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Usually this happens to me when I start the car in the morning for work, after the car sits in the garage for the whole night. For the beginning 1-2 mins of drive, there is no LTE or Wifi connection at all, as you can tell from the icon. After couple minutes, it will resume the LTE connection. I have very good AT&T LTE signal in my area and I have a router in the garage, so I don't think it has anything to do with the signal strength. Sometimes it also happens when I leave my office. So it is really not location specific issue.

I wonder if anyone have the similar experience?

Reactions: fiatlux
Yes I have had this issue since I picked up the car 2 months ago. It happens in multiple locations where WiFi is and isn’t present. For me when it happens it takes about 2 minutes to work.

The annoying part is that GPS can’t do address searches, the satellite pictures don’t update, and streaming radio doesn’t work.

I would say about 5% of the time I start my car I get this.

I've had intermittent random losses of LTE multiple times a week since I got the car. Often get into the car and the screen has crashed and in the process of restarting. Latest update has added a split second (ok maybe 2-3 second) "no LTE" icon on the screen when I first get into it. I still have the random dropped internet (in locations that previously had internet), but now also have this issue. Tesla service person has me send screenshots every time it happens (so they can check logs of car based on time), but nothing has changed since... starting to get frustrated. Not sure if I should be glad to see other people have somewhat similar issues with the LTE (though I seem to have a more minor version of what is being discussed here, and a more major PITA issue with random LTE drops requiring a full screen reboot each time).

This happens to me frequently as well. The car has been asleep for hours so it takes a few moments for the wireless connections to activate. It's not unlike when you wake your smartphone or computer.

Heck - it's a computer with wheels and a big battery. ;)

Same. Seems like normal behavior. Not a huge deal. By the time I’ve backed out of my driveway the connectivity is back.

It's because you lose wi-fi connection, the car spends 20-30 seconds looking for it before giving up and switching over to LTE. Happens with my smartphone and google maps as well.

This is not the case (at least not for those of us complaining). My car used to be fine--I could issue voice commands within, say, 5 seconds of sitting down. If I left wi-fi range, it'd connect to LTE in seconds, similar to how modern smartphones behave.

For the past few updates, it's now consistently minutes after entering the vehicle before I can use voice commands. There has definitely been a change, and it's well over an order of magnitude drop in performance--there's no chance this is fluky behavior or something I just noticed that was there all along.

Reactions: Dante
My 3G connection stopped working suddenly. When I took to service center and requested LTE upgrade when they fix the issue. Mentioned the $500 to upgrade to LTE is only valid under warranty and its different price after warranty period is over. Does not seem fair to chaneg pricing based on In warranty or not.

Usually this happens to me when I start the car in the morning for work, after the car sits in the garage for the whole night. For the beginning 1-2 mins of drive, there is no LTE or Wifi connection at all, as you can tell from the icon. After couple minutes, it will resume the LTE connection. I have very good AT&T LTE signal in my area and I have a router in the garage, so I don't think it has anything to do with the signal strength. Sometimes it also happens when I leave my office. So it is really not location specific issue.

I wonder if anyone have the similar experience?

I have had the same thing happen but I wanted to ask you if you are manually turning off your car when you park it. I don't, I put the car in park and walk away. Normally I come back to the car put my foot on the brake and it's ready to go, screen on, LTE signal strong AC blowing. I'm finding that more and more, the car is turning itself off and having to start up when I open the door. I get in, no screen, no air, no anything. After 30 seconds or so the screen will come on and everything reboots, wifi, LTE. It used to happen only once or twice a week, but it's getting worse.

All that to say, yes, I'm experiencing no LTE but only under these circumstances.

I have had the same thing happen but I wanted to ask you if you are manually turning off your car when you park it. I don't, I put the car in park and walk away. Normally I come back to the car put my foot on the brake and it's ready to go, screen on, LTE signal strong AC blowing. I'm finding that more and more, the car is turning itself off and having to start up when I open the door. I get in, no screen, no air, no anything. After 30 seconds or so the screen will come on and everything reboots, wifi, LTE. It used to happen only once or twice a week, but it's getting worse.

All that to say, yes, I'm experiencing no LTE but only under these circumstances.

I always let the car turning off by itself by walking away.

My 3G connection stopped working suddenly. When I took to service center and requested LTE upgrade when they fix the issue. Mentioned the $500 to upgrade to LTE is only valid under warranty and its different price after warranty period is over. Does not seem fair to chaneg pricing based on In warranty or not.

I'm curious what you're talking about. 3G vs LTE? don't all cars have LTE? What upgrade are you talking about?